General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 Pull & Install advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Pull & Install advice

I slung a rod in my 01 z28 like 2 weeks ago. The problem was an oil leak from the oil pan gasket right next to the oil filter. Had all intentions of changing it but got to it to late apparently. So, with that being said. I just got the new motor in yesterday. Going with an ls1 again but haven't decided if I am going to stick with same cam, valves, heads, intake, etc. This is going to be my first motor pull and install on an ls1, have done one with an h22 prelude but I know its a different ball game with an ls1. I am not in a hurry seeing that I have my truck to drive (2011 sierra) but then again I am because of gas prices but plan on taking my time to do it right the first time so there is no second.

Now to the real advice/question. I know with me pulling the heads and intake, I am replacing gaskets along with the oil pan gasket. I am also replacing the front seal for the transmission because I have heard after a motor pull and install they leak. With that being sad, I need some recommendations on what all seals and gaskets I should replace along with misc. parts?!?! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Teching In

some people told me to go ahead and replace every gasket and every seal to be on the safe side along with all the timing components. like i said first motor pull and install on an ls1 so any advice on parts to replace, along with pulling it and installing is helpful and appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Its wasn't really pulling it out as much as it was dropping it out for me lol. We went out through the bottom, and from what I am told that is the common way of doing it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

thing is with that being said, my buddy is moving to a different house and only moved his lift to the other shop so we are doing it in his current house where all the tools are. so I am going to be pullin it from the top.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say do as many mods to the motor as you can while it's out of the vehicle. I'd say definitely do an aftermarket cam/springs/oil pump etc
Old 06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're doing the engine through the top, leave the crank pulley off until you put the engine back in.. and take it off the engine before you try to pull it.

if you put it on first, its a bitch to fit back in there.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input and advice.

I am going with a different cam and springs and all but thing is, I hear of a lot of people throwing the z06 hot cam in but been hearing good and bad things about it after the install. mostly bad, says its smoking.

I am picking up ls2 intake this coming up Friday, couldn't come across an ls6 intake within the time frame I want. I am going to get pictures put up. Going to start this on Tuesday. You would think working at Advance auto parts that my manager would give me off more to get this done so I can stop looking up parts for my car and do my job more but ready for my baby girl to get back on the road.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

slowly but surely getting it. 1st day we got to work on it with 2 kids and wife and girlfriend breathing down our necks and also having an 8year old learning and doing work.

how it sits:

hopefully be doing more work this sunday when i get off.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Having your son wrench alongside with you is a time honored tradition!

Hope you drained the fluids and take a TON of digital shots of parts removal so you know the order of disassembly to reassembly.

Zip lock sandwich baggies for small bolts retention, masking tape, a thick notepad, a decent torque wrench & patience.

Others will chime in very soon, summertime brings the shadetree mechanic out!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Teching In

o yeah all nuts and bolts are in labeled bags along with pics on the digital camera, i'll upload after. i think today we might get some more work done.

what is the easiest way to get to all fuel components while the engine is in the car still?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmckeehan

what is the easiest way to get to all fuel components while the engine is in the car still?
not sure what you mean by "all fuel components"

when I do an engine pull,
1. vaccum the lose sand off the intake espically where it meets the head.. do this now BEFORE you open the fuel system.
2 take the fuel line off the intake, then lift the entire intake off as one piece... with the injectors and all still assembled on it.
3. with the intake (and its fuel rails full of fuel, far away, I wipe off the heads with a rag holding the vacuum next to it.. this gets the remaining crud off..
4. I put blue painters tape over the intake ports to keep junk from going into the engine.

really, you pull the radiator, then the accessories off the front, then the intake... go around grabbing all the wires off it, then before you undo the engine mounts, take the crank pulley off..
go under the car, drop the back of the trans to get the upper bellhousing bolts, then go up front and unbolt the motor.. lift it out.
installation is reverse of removal. :p
Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
not sure what you mean by "all fuel components"

when I do an engine pull,
1. vaccum the lose sand off the intake espically where it meets the head.. do this now BEFORE you open the fuel system.
2 take the fuel line off the intake, then lift the entire intake off as one piece... with the injectors and all still assembled on it.
3. with the intake (and its fuel rails full of fuel, far away, I wipe off the heads with a rag holding the vacuum next to it.. this gets the remaining crud off..
4. I put blue painters tape over the intake ports to keep junk from going into the engine.

really, you pull the radiator, then the accessories off the front, then the intake... go around grabbing all the wires off it, then before you undo the engine mounts, take the crank pulley off..
go under the car, drop the back of the trans to get the upper bellhousing bolts, then go up front and unbolt the motor.. lift it out.
installation is reverse of removal. :p
that is what i wanted to know appreciate it a lot man. off for the next two days, hopefully will be working on it those two days.