General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Who dis your cam install
Myself
50.00%
Help from friends
26.92%
Reputable shop
23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Who did your cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

700 isnt bad, but i enjoy the job well done after i finish. done 6 or 7 cam swaps now. peoples face is epic when they start it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I'm proud to say I did my own! Me, my brother and grandfather right under the shade tree. It took us two evening to complete..... Ls1howto.com FTW!! (Everything works, except installing the bottom pulley back on with a longer bolt)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Thunder Racing did mine during my last deployment. They did a outstanding job and their RapTR cam is a beast
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just did mine myself along with other things. The cam swap alone is quite simple IMO. Much easier then I expected and this has been the first time ever laying my hands on a LS motor. ls1howto is a good reference tool.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bernarlitt
I'm proud to say I did my own! Me, my brother and grandfather right under the shade tree. It took us two evening to complete..... Ls1howto.com FTW!! (Everything works, except installing the bottom pulley back on with a longer bolt)
So what did you do to get the pulley back on? Might help someone out who's going to DIY a cam.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cam is easy, i think the hardest part was doing valvesprings..PITA when half the engine under the cowl!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do it yourself! Just take your time and DO NOT hurry. The LS1howto guide is very good. Print it out and follow along. It's not hard. Its a machine. It comes apart and goes back together. Not that hard. The only tricky part is the valvesprings on the back of the engine. Save your money and use a little bit of it to invest in a GOOD compressor made for the LS engine. Get some good torque wrenches. (ft lb and in lb.) You'll save money AND have more very useful tools in your collection.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

VA. Speed for all my professional work. The little things i do myself.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

if you are comfortable with bolt ons, and like stated you can take your time, hit up that cam swap yourself. I'd recommend TDC method while doing valve springs as compressed air in my cylinder dropped one valve down. not saying compressed air doesn't work, but that frightened me to one sec see a valve stem, and then poof.

i had no professional training, just a helpful writeup, and if I got worried I'd ask a question here or there, never hurts to double check! for me the feeling of completing the cam swap was a good one, as I love to know how things go together and work.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
Do it yourself! Just take your time and DO NOT hurry. The LS1howto guide is very good. Print it out and follow along. It's not hard. Its a machine. It comes apart and goes back together. Not that hard. The only tricky part is the valvesprings on the back of the engine. Save your money and use a little bit of it to invest in a GOOD compressor made for the LS engine. Get some good torque wrenches. (ft lb and in lb.) You'll save money AND have more very useful tools in your collection.
Sorry to bad you bro.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00SLPSS
if you are comfortable with bolt ons, and like stated you can take your time, hit up that cam swap yourself. I'd recommend TDC method while doing valve springs as compressed air in my cylinder dropped one valve down. not saying compressed air doesn't work, but that frightened me to one sec see a valve stem, and then poof.

i had no professional training, just a helpful writeup, and if I got worried I'd ask a question here or there, never hurts to double check! for me the feeling of completing the cam swap was a good one, as I love to know how things go together and work.
X2

Save your money. It was the first thing I've ever done to a car besides filling it with oil and gas. As long as you follow the steps its really hard to screw up. Not to scare you but i also had a valve drop using the compressed air method (talk about a pucker effect) but i easily pushed it back to TDC. I also had no training just ls1howto. I say go for it the feeling of accomplishment is amazing and you'll be inspired to do more projects yourself.