General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Big name LS cars can't run the number at the track today

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Typical...
Autos are great for guys who can't drive and can only go strait, for everyone else that actually likes to drive their car, or do more than just a boring/skill-less strait line race, manual it is.
Bring your slush box to a real track (one with turns) and you will quickly see what "wins races".
Drag racing is still racing, regardless of whether you find it exciting or not. I'm sure that road racing is a bigger thrill and by far more challenging than drag racing, but not all of us have the money to replace our car if we lose our brakes at 130+ and slam into a tire wall. Would I like to road race one day? Sure. But since I just take my car to street legal night at the local 1/4 mile track every other weekend or so, and daily drive it the rest of the time, an automatic is perfect for me.

I've beaten cars at the dragstrip that I had no business beating, simply because they were manuals and I'm an auto. One in particular I remember was a C5 Z06, then there's been a number of LS1 F-bodies that had more mods than me and they ran slower times. Okay so they had more fun going down the track than me, but in the end, I got the white slip and they got the yellow one. And I don't have to constantly worry about breaking the 10 bolt on every launch.

Sorry, just had to jump in and defend the auto!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Okay so they had more fun going down the track than me, but in the end, I got the white slip and they got the yellow one. And I don't have to constantly worry about breaking the 10 bolt on every launch.

Sorry, just had to jump in and defend the auto!
No, I don't think they did. Winning is definitely more fun.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Typical...
Autos are great for guys who can't drive and can only go strait, for everyone else that actually likes to drive their car, or do more than just a boring/skill-less strait line race, manual it is.
Bring your slush box to a real track (one with turns) and you will quickly see what "wins races".
maybe you need to do the driver mod at a drag strip.

if you cant shift your car for 13 seconds (or whatever your times are) in a straight line, then you probably cant do it with turns
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
Drag racing is still racing, regardless of whether you find it exciting or not. I'm sure that road racing is a bigger thrill and by far more challenging than drag racing, but not all of us have the money to replace our car if we lose our brakes at 130+ and slam into a tire wall. Would I like to road race one day? Sure. But since I just take my car to street legal night at the local 1/4 mile track every other weekend or so, and daily drive it the rest of the time, an automatic is perfect for me.
I agree completely, anyone who knocks on autos is an idiot, plain and simple.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

autos are better for racing no doubt.

manuals still have their place however.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drag racing with a manual just takes more skill. Last year was the first year that I had put any effort in going quickly in a straight line. It isn't as easy as it looks and definately a manual takes way more skill to go fast. I have done a number of lapping days and if you can do some laps on a track without too many walls your first time out it is a blast.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find that a lot of cars that make a lot of power on a dyno simply dont run the equivalent number at the track. Sometimes making the power is the easy part of making a car fast at the drag strip.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
Sometimes making the power is the easy part of making a car fast at the drag strip.
Amen. When I was a younger man, that fact put some money in my pocket on Saturday night.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am curious to see what the times look like in the winter if we can get down to the 60 degree range here. My car might pick up a couple tenths, but I bet that CTSV will be a whole new beast on a cool day. I drove my GN on a 40 degree day and it felt like nitrous.
Cooler weather is good for 2 tenths but your mph seems down !I would say 11.55 @ 115 in a - DA .

Last edited by blk/slvr02ss; 08-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
Cooler weather is good for 2 tenths but your mph seems down !I would say 11.55 @ 115 in a - DA .
The DA was 2119 on my fastest pass.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speeds car is right on, maybe even running better than expected.

As for manual VS auto.
Fun is all opinion, period. Stalled auto vs manual for fun factor... Stalled auto for a long shot IMO.
Drag racing... Stalled auto trumps manual every which way.
AutoX.. Manual trumps auto.

This is a site where most are straight line drag racing...

I would rather win in my slush box than lose in a manual... Winning is more fun PERIOD.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
autos are better for racing no doubt.

manuals still have their place however.
I would not go as far to say there better for racing, just that there more consistent because it takes out some of the human error. With that said 9 times out of 10 a stock manual car with the same auto car the manual will win. Although when you start modifying them it changes everything such as a stall, or gears and tires for a manual.

At the end of the day this whole auto vs. manual thing has been beaten to death. Both have their goods and bads and it all comes down to preference
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

As for manual VS auto.
Fun is all opinion, period. Stalled auto vs manual for fun factor... Stalled auto for a long shot IMO.

I would rather win in my slush box than lose in a manual... Winning is more fun PERIOD.
Right on

Also I learned just how much DA makes a difference last year. My car in +2265 did 13.197 and in -1245 it did 12.638. This was same car and mods in sig with stock stall.

I love my stalled auto for drag and love it the same on the street at a stop light. Shoot, its better from all speeds now than before. Only times I wish I had a manual is from a high speed roll or for the mpg.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

The 6 Speed Auto is the best all around w/ the Paddle shifters it like u getting both a auto and a stick !
Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12

As for manual VS auto.

That's why I own both a manual, and a stalled auto
Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With that said 9 times out of 10 a stock manual car with the same auto car the manual will win.
I agree with this in the f-body world, but when you pair off a modern A6 vs. a modern M6, I think that outcome will be the other way around.

Not sure with the vette, but the G8 A6 has more aggressive gearing in the first 4 gears than does the manual. So given that it has the same amount of gears there's no way that an average guy will outshift an automatic.

Sure a 6 speed f-body has a distinct advantage over the 4 speed auto, it's simply because of the lack of gears in the automatic. Even out the gears so there are no deadspots and the engine always stays in it's powerband and it's over for the manual.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Amen. When I was a younger man, that fact put some money in my pocket on Saturday night.
And there you have it

Many times the driver is more important than whatever power you're putting down (respectively of course).
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,168 Posts

If someone prefers a manual, that's fine. It's a personal choice.

However, if they feel the need to bash the auto cars, this tells me they are using the stick in their center console to compensate for a different stick that might be lacking.

Personally, I find manuals bothersome and annoying to drive for my application/region; but you won't find me bashing others who prefer them.