General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stolen Car 1998 black T/A. What deterrent u use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 z
You'd think with the gps and all the cell phone apps someone would think to link the two together. So that if you park your car, lock it, and hit a button on a key fob to arm the sytem. Then a place like lowjack, onstar or whatever monitors the vehicles position by gps. If the car moves more than x amount then the owner gets a call or text alerting them. If the owner doesnt respond for whatever reason for x amount of time the cops get called to the vehicle. Ive never checked in to any of those systems. Maybe this already exists. Just sayin.

as it happens... You CAN do this. http://www.instamapper.com/diy.html

I'd suggest starting there. There are a LOT more in-depth things you can do... I have something similar hidden in my car, I can pull it up while I'm in the mall on my smartphone and view where my car is in the parking lot on google maps.

You may not like the idea, but head over to team-integra.net. Older integras are prone to getting stolen, so there is a LOT of good antitheft info on that site.

Battery cut-offs, fuel cut-offs, multilayer alarm install diy's... There's a guy who has it set up so that he gets a text every time his car alarm goes off or his car moves. Those guys know their ****.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Car alarm with pager feature. 2) Desert Eagle. 3) License to carry.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

Originally Posted by lakeratiam
1) Trunk Monkey 2) Car alarm with pager feature. 3) Desert Eagle. 4) License to carry.

Bedder
Old 10-02-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to park in a bad part of city couple of years ago.
My theft deterrent was a homeless guy that watched my car for 5 hours a day for 40oz.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

Are you serious or was that a joke?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car was a pretty decent target at my last apartment. It was flour bombed, egged, and successfully broken into once. Thankfully they just used a coat hanger and slid the lock on the door and didn't damage the car. I also have my factory alarm set to go off instantly when anything is opened. They took off and my car was left alone after that. But it made me increase my security on my car.

IMO, car alarms don't do anything. When was the last time you heard a car alarm going off and DIDN'T think "If that f'er doesn't turn that thing off...". People are so used to them nowadays that they just ignore them.

So my 'security' is very simple, but, I think, very effective. I changed the factory alarm to go off instantly if any door / hatch is opened. The instructions for that is in the owners manual. I installed a hidden kill switch that disables the ignition system. This way even if they do break the column and try to hot wire it, the car still won't start. I also removed the slide locks and the bars they attach to inside the door. Now the only way to open the (locked) door is to unlock it with my remote, or my key. If someone tries to coat hanger it again, there's no slide lock to hit, and the buttons don't work when it's armed. If they decide to break a window to get in, they'll have to climb their happy *** through that broken window to get in. And even then it still won't start if the kill switch is armed. I'm thinking by that time they're probably gonna give up and walk away. So at worst all I have to deal with is a broken window.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I used to park in a bad part of city couple of years ago.
My theft deterrent was a homeless guy that watched my car for 5 hours a day for 40oz.
Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Are you serious or was that a joke?
No, I'm very serious. The only parking near my college was close to the projects. This hobo always hung out there and complimented me on my car (made me paranoid first), but somehow It came into negotiation he 'd watch my car for liquor. So I'd give him an Old E on days I went to school. LOL

Originally Posted by Lotus289
IMO, car alarms don't do anything. When was the last time you heard a car alarm going off and DIDN'T think "If that f'er doesn't turn that thing off...". People are so used to them nowadays that they just ignore them.

So my 'security' is very simple, but, I think, very effective. I changed the factory alarm to go off instantly if any door / hatch is opened. The instructions for that is in the owners manual. I installed a hidden kill switch that disables the ignition system. This way even if they do break the column and try to hot wire it, the car still won't start. I also removed the slide locks and the bars they attach to inside the door. Now the only way to open the (locked) door is to unlock it with my remote, or my key. If someone tries to coat hanger it again, there's no slide lock to hit, and the buttons don't work when it's armed. If they decide to break a window to get in, they'll have to climb their happy *** through that broken window to get in. And even then it still won't start if the kill switch is armed. I'm thinking by that time they're probably gonna give up and walk away. So at worst all I have to deal with is a broken window.
I agree, only times other people paid attention to car alarms was in late 80s and early 90s when the first came out on high end cars.
I liked your approach to the whole subject.
Any security: an alarm (pretheft) or gps tracking by on star (post theft) are best at slowing down thief.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Geo-fencing is the concept this device follows.