General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

No More LS Engines Will Be Produced...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
I was.
The 427 SOHC can still be purchased if you got lots of coin.
It was an engineering masterpiece for it's time.
They also produced a 429 Hemi that a lot of us in the late sixties and early seventies would of killed to own.
I am a GM guy over Ford any day of the week but, I will give credit where credit is due.
Push rods are a limiting factor in engine performance.
They still work great but, if you had to design a motor that would make power past 10,000 rpm, you wouldn't be looking at push rod design.
Why the hell would anyone WANT to spin past 10 000 rpm. High RPM's to produce power is not a good thing....
Remember that friction increases at the square of velocity. So an engine spinning at 5000 RPM is going to have 25% of the fricitional losses as it would if it was engine spinning at 10 000 RPM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because 10000 Rpms is mores than 5000 Rpms and more is better! Right? I loves Rpms I got some in my car!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I was.
The 427 SOHC can still be purchased if you got lots of coin.
It was an engineering masterpiece for it's time.
They also produced a 429 Hemi that a lot of us in the late sixties and early seventies would of killed to own.
I am a GM guy over Ford any day of the week but, I will give credit where credit is due.
Push rods are a limiting factor in engine performance.
They still work great but, if you had to design a motor that would make power past 10,000 rpm, you wouldn't be looking at push rod design.
I'm going to be quite frank here.... personally, I don't give a rats *** about horsepower at 10,000rpm. I think a lot of other people would agree in terms of street cars.

A broad, flat torque curve that begins early and good horsepower from mid-range rpms to a reasonable redline is all you need for an excellent, well-rounded street engine that's tons of fun to drive under all conditions and is still manageable in day-to-day driving conditions. The trade-offs you would face to produce an engine that makes great power at 10k rpm would not be desireable in the street car.

I think you are too focused on the "limitations" of push rods and ignoring the fact that there are downsides to OHC as well.

GM has done great with OHV. Nothing about the current OHC competition seems superior to me. The LSx engines hold their own against any modern OHC that's even remotely in the same price range.

As for the old engines, I still rather have a BBC than the Ford OHC example above. Actually, I'd even rather have a Cadillac 472-500ci OHV V8 over the 427 OHC. People don't realize the kind of torque and street fun you can squeez out of a 500ci Caddy engine with nothing more than a mild street build.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

When I think pushrod rpms I think of nascar.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm going to be quite frank here.... personally, I don't give a rats *** about horsepower at 10,000rpm. I think a lot of other people would agree in terms of street cars.

A broad, flat torque curve that begins early and good horsepower from mid-range rpms to a reasonable redline (6-6.5k is plenty) is all you need for an excellent, well-rounded street engine that's tons of fun to drive under all conditions and is still manageable in day-to-day driving conditions. The trade-offs you would face to produce an engine that makes great power at 10k rpm would not be desireable in the street car.

I think you are too focused on the "limitations" of push rods and ignoring the fact that there are downsides to OHC as well.

GM has done great with OHV. Nothing about the current OHC competition seems superior to me. The LSx engines hold their own against any modern OHC that's even remotely in the same price range.

As for the old engines, I still rather have a BBC than the Ford OHC example above. Actually, I'd even rather have a Cadillac 472-500ci OHV V8 over the 427 OHC. People don't realize the kind of torque and street fun you can squeez out of a 500ci Caddy engine with nothing more than a mild street build.
Actually, I am an engineer by trade with a masters in material science and my major was mechanical engineering.
Your missing the point totally and you need to work on that.
A good design for any "machine" that would be used on a daily basis is that it's moving parts / quantity be held to a minimum... period
More complexity always results in less operational up time.
You can split hairs, you can try an bullshit your way out of it but, it's a truth that's never been faulted.
If I had a motor company and had to design engines for any application, I would go for the best top side in growth and that is an OHC.
I love pushrod motors as they have gone farther than they have should.
OHC motors offer much more flexibility in application.
There are no down sides to OHC applications unless you try to make one up.
You can size one up to run with any push rod app their is.
You can have any valve angle you wish, not to mention port design with a DOHC design.
That cannot be said with push rods.
This post is about GM bringing on OHC designs.
They know it's time and they understand that with small cube applications, OHC is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

OK, I see that you are not prepared for an honest discussion. You may have more degrees than a thermometer, but if you actually believe this then your vision is clouded and further debate is pointless.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

This post is about GM bringing on OHC designs.
Well...Not really...lol. I don't know how my thread got sidetracted to overhead cam(OHC) engine discussion? What I was inquiring about, was GM moving/evolving to a direct fuel injection(DFI) cylinder head/LS engine type design. This is where fuel injector(s) are designed directly into the combustion chamber area. Mercury Marine, as an example, has been using this technology for about eight years now, on all their larger horsepower, high-performance engines. Was just curious if anyone else heard of GM switching over to this DFI design in the next couple years on the LS series, as I have?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
This is a sad day, just like the day I found out they were no longer going to make F-Bodies
awww, there there buddy, at least they're still alive.

and btw if you avatar is a shirt youve had produced i want one >.<
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You may need to do more research then, what about when in a V-engine (like the V8 we are talking about) the added size, weight, cost and complexity vs a pushrod engine?
Ford 5L pushrod and 4.6l mod motor...

LS2 and VQ35 V6

Fords 5.4L OHC vs 5.0L OHV

1Uz v8 and ls1

This kind of thing has been discussed on here countless times. I think Ill take the lighter, smaller, less complex, more powerful LS pushrod over an OHC V8...
I don't see any good reason GM would go with a DOHC V8, back in the late 90s they even admitted the Northstar V8 was made for marketing for the fanboys that want a "high tech" engine.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole argument is stupid actually from both ends of the perspective. Both modern pushrod and modular platforms have been proven time and time again to be capable of making respectable power while still remaining relatively efficient. Who cares how much one weighs or how complex one or the other is? You have huge aftermarket support from each, might as well just pick which one you prefer and work with it.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Launching!

OHC is for Hondas and 4 cylinders IMO. V8's need pushrods. Whats so bad about the LS engines? AMAZING power, great MPG, very clean and reliable as hell. No reason to discontinue them
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just can't see myself buying 4 cams for my next gen DOHC ls motor, bleh
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
Yea I read somewhere they were going smaller displacement to I think I seen like a 5.5L idk maybe someone can shed some light on that for me?
The LS5

The new small-block is expected to be made with an aluminum block and heads, which will feature direct injection and a completely new “combustion system.” The new small-block is expected to keep the traditional overhead-valve layout, “ensuring compact dimensions and lower manufacturing costs."
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/c7-claimed...5-5l-440hp-v8/
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wav3form
With the great horsepower GM pushrod engines are producing, you're not making a very good argument.
He said 10k+ RPM's, not a specific power level.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
He said 10k+ RPM's, not a specific power level.
Why would GM, or any other OE manufacturer be concerned with building V8 engines for 10k+ rpm operation in a street car? This is race engine territory, and is a silly arguement to consider when discussing OE street engines in brand new cars that will be peoples' daily drivers.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

didn't the rotary engines rev past 10k? i don't think i'd want an engine with that high of a powerband
Old 09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would GM, or any other OE manufacturer be concerned with building V8 engines for 10k+ rpm operation in a street car? This is race engine territory, and is a silly arguement to consider when discussing OE street engines in brand new cars that will be peoples' daily drivers.
So we can win street races

but with that being said, we don't need our ls engines to redline past 10k to beat out cars that revolve 10k+ (standard rx8 anybody?)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Oh great the "DOHC is better than crappy old pushrod" nonsense again...
... I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1...

I had a similar conversation on this topic about two weeks ago with someone at work. After his 5 minute long speech, I actually simply pointed at my car and said very condescendingly, "Stttrrrreeeeeet ..... Caaaaaaaaarr."
Old 09-19-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

So...No one knows anything about the upcoming LS series combustion chamber injection stuff? I can delete the thread?

Quick Reply: No More LS Engines Will Be Produced...