General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What are some questions you get asked about your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Every autozone worker and redneck around (I'm in Nashville, so that's a lot of rednecks) thinks they are an expert on chevelles because their cousin's brother's high school buddy "had one just like that" 30 years ago. "Is it for sale?" is the question I get most often and there are of course a variety of stupid questions or statements about chevelles not having ls1s, all SS cars being 454s and meaningless statistics and facts that I know are wrong but I don't argue because I don't care. It's not for sale, **** off, and yes it might have cost $4k 41 years ago but that was then and this is now. Believe it or not that $4000 is an offer I [I]can[I] refuse.

"Is that a convertible", and "what year GTO is that" are probably two of the best questions I've gotten (the latter coming after the guy read my trunk tag, and was convinced I had made a mistake). Wasn't quite sure how to answer the convertible one though. "Um, no?"
When I'm cruising around people pull up at lights on occassion and ask if I want to race, I generally just reply that I don't have time for them to run home and get their car.
Some people are genuinely interested in the swap stuff and want to talk about what it takes, problems and etc and that is cool. Most people however are not cool.

What's worse than the questions is all the people telling me what I should/ should not have done and what they would do. Of course, none of these people ever have a car of their own.

I had a woman once ask me if my 57 belair was a 64 impala. She didn't believe me that it was a 57. "My dad had one look just like that and it was a 64 impala."

I had an old lady walk up to me once and ask about it at walmart. People make weird conversation with classics. "That a 57?" "yea." "yea, I had a 62 ford falcon once.. back in.. 68 or so.. it was a four door.."

... and? that's like walking up to someone walking their dog and going "ya know when I was 5 I had a fish. But it died."
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I had a woman once ask me if my 57 belair was a 64 impala. She didn't believe me that it was a 57. "My dad had one look just like that and it was a 64 impala."

I had an old lady walk up to me once and ask about it at walmart. People make weird conversation with classics. "That a 57?" "yea." "yea, I had a 62 ford falcon once.. back in.. 68 or so.. it was a four door.."

... and? that's like walking up to someone walking their dog and going "ya know when I was 5 I had a fish. But it died."
You must not like conversation. When you drive an antique that's what you're going to get, people trying to make conversation with you. I don't think her analogy was that estranged, she was comparing how she had a similar car. Not quite as sought after as the Belair. But you should be used to getting lots of compliments and conversations because of it now.

Quick Reply: What are some questions you get asked about your car?