General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What don't you like about your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 bolt!!!! and the engine half under the cowl, its like engineers didnt want me to put a blower on or make decent power lol
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Sail panel issues
- Made-of-glass 10 bolt rear end
- Door panel cracks
- Window motor problems
- Poor (factory) Firebird headlight brightness
- Seems like the Monsoon sail panel speakers are incredible easy to blow
- PM rods
- Tranny cooler not standard on all auto cars
- Spark plug changes require a member of Cirque-De-Soleil

All of the above are problems even when the power is stock...

The engine being under the cowl doesn't bother me that much, it's a function of getting the F/R weight correct...
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Where I am at there are next to no Mustangs. I guess there are plenty of V6 Mustangs, but those are usually driven by young girls, or old people...only see a handful of Mustang GT's. I tried messing with a GT once, and they just ignored me...probably already knew their fate.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

My only complaints are the following:

- Sail panel
- Window motors
- Wish the headlight lenses were glass (to avoid hazing)

Everything else is fine for what these cars are, and/or would cause a different problem or unwanted trade-offs if it were different.

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
- Tranny cooler not standard on all auto cars
A trans cooler was standard on all automatic LS1 F-bodies, if they left the assembly line with an auto.

If you have seen one without a trans cooler built into the radiator, it's either because the radiator has been changed with one from an M6 (or aftermarket), or because the car was originally an M6 and was converted to an A4 without a radiator swap.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

A trans cooler was standard on all automatic LS1 F-bodies, if they left the assembly line with an auto.

If you have seen one without a trans cooler built into the radiator, it's either because the radiator has been changed with one from an M6 (or aftermarket), or because the car was originally an M6 and was converted to an A4 without a radiator swap.
they've been doing this for a long time actually.. tranny coolers build into radiators.. all the way back to the 60s.

It's not the best design for high performance, but works fine for a stock car.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
they've been doing this for a long time actually.. tranny coolers build into radiators.. all the way back to the 60s.
Correct and agreed.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My only complaints are the following:

- Sail panel
- Window motors
- Wish the headlight lenses were glass (to avoid hazing)

Everything else is fine for what these cars are, and/or would cause a different problem or unwanted trade-offs if it were different.

I was referring to a separate trans cooler like some of the pickups had from the factory.

Being a "high performance" car I don't think the radiator system is sufficient.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Wow man, I'm sorry. I'd be real pissed about that too. Any idea on how you can fix it now?
im gonna drill it out and put a heli-coil in it, if that dont work ill be looking for another set of heads
Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
I was referring to a separate trans cooler like some of the pickups had from the factory.

Being a "high performance" car I don't think the radiator system is sufficient.
the factory tranny cooler/radiator in my old v6 auto bird busted, mixing fluids together. so yes, it does suck. badly.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Rear end sucks,door panel cracks,stereo system is crap,and a horrible creaking rattling sounds from the back of my car(interior by the hatchback)sucks when im trying to drive without the radio on and all I hear is that damn sound.Go's away sometimes but never for good,It's like my car has audible herpes!Anyone else here get the creaking rattling sound in there car?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

I had a creaking sound it was the back seat rubbing on the metal tabs. I put grease on them and it went away everything is in tip top shape knock on wood lol.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Rear end sucks,door panel cracks,stereo system is crap,and a horrible creaking rattling sounds from the back of my car(interior by the hatchback)sucks when im trying to drive without the radio on and all I hear is that damn sound.Go's away sometimes but never for good,It's like my car has audible herpes!Anyone else here get the creaking rattling sound in there car?
I have been in this site and a lot of guys complain about noises and creaks. Mine is quiet, never a noise....even with the suspension setup and the 19' wheels.

Maybe my car was not built on a Monday...!! LOL!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by chaman
I have been in this site and a lot of guys complain about noises and creaks. Mine is quiet, never a noise....even with the suspension setup and the 19' wheels.

Maybe my car was not built on a Monday...!! LOL!
You are not alone! Neither of mine make all the interior rattles and squeaks that I hear some people complain about. The '02 car has a slight rubbing sound from the passenger side t-top when the outside temp is below ~25°F or so, but even that goes away once the interior warms up. And that car has 100k+ miles of city potholes under it's belt too!

I have no complaints about the 10 bolt either. This is likely because I've always had A4s, but even with a stall and drag radials and many 1.6 launches I never broke one. I'd probably feel different if I had an M6 though.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Launching!

10 bolt
bcm
Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

1) Position of the engine set so far under the cowl.
2) Unibody
3) Squeaking if interior.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

I've got no real complaints. Same as others. Door panel cracked, dash cracked. Have a bubble on the sail panel and my 2 speakers in the sail panel blew out. Other than that, I dont have much to complain about. Its got a vibration Im pretty sure is due to the cheapo hankook tires. Its knocked down 30 mpg on the highway, run some low 13's, took me over 150 mph, and looked pretty and sounded pretty sick (thanks slp) driving off after I got married.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That I didn't buy it 10 years ago
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

^this!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate my piston slap, even if it only lasts a minute or two.
And my diff is starting to make noise, but 130k on a Torsen diff I can't complain. I haven't had my '02 for very long but its a pretty solid car, no real complaints. At least nothing that was the factories fault. Skip shift catches me off guard sometimes too when Im making a turn, but I don't mind it all that much.

A lotta interior rattles are due to people taking panels off and rather breaking clips or not installing them correctly. T top squeaks can usually be fixed by using the right weatherstripping lubricant on them.

One thing that I LOVE about F bodies is the HVAC heat. I've NEVER had problems with any F body making good heat, V6 or V8. Had one with a blown heater core, thats about it.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That it's still on jack stands waiting for a new motor and tranny.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your car?