General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do Camaros hydroplane so easily?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srbliss
Seriously - 70 in the rain is just stupid. Just because everyone else is a dumb *** does not mean you need to join them. Slow the F down in the rain. Think a little bit about what may happen if bad **** happens. How would you feel if you killed someone because you were in a hurry?
Dang I feel like an old fart, but you need to think this way today.
I must have missed the part where he said he was running DR's, because I don't see how driving 70mph in the rain is stupid.

I am running Riken summer tires in a 245 width and have never had an issue in the rain at highway speeds. Car handles perfectly unless I'm jerking the wheel or hammering on the gas. Now if there is a lot of standing water in the road or visibility is that bad then I slow down.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Launching!

My car is bad in all conditions. Lid only, m6. If you don't like how the car handles in certain conditions because of weight,tread/tires or power you should change driving habits or fix the issue possibly meaning get a fwd or awd car.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Size and type of tire as well as road condition. The interstate here is pretty good and I can maintain 70 if its not a monsoon. On some of the other local highways that are normally great, I can barely do 55.

There's no shame in slowing down to be safe, better than crashing your sports car that you couldn't handle!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WayFast84
My car is bad in all conditions. Lid only, m6. If you don't like how the car handles in certain conditions because of weight,tread/tires or power you should change driving habits or fix the issue possibly meaning get a fwd or awd car.
So since I don't exactly like the gas mileage or that I have to use premium all the time I should swap out my car? It's not as easy as you make it out to be, I'm still making payments on mine.

I do slow down in the rain. While everyone else goes the speed limit, or slows down 5-10MPH, I slow down by 20MPH+. I'm going 45 when everyone else is doing 70, and I still have to be careful.

It probably is the tires, early next year I plan on upgrading to some better ones.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

I love my Camaro, for what it is. It's not a daily driver and doesn't see bad weather. It can be a handful even in the best conditions if I so much as hit some unseen sand or gravel making a turn. If it's all I had to get from A to B I would get rid of it. I can barely fit the amount of gear I have to take to work every day in it, let alone stop by the store. It only takes 93 octane, and a lot of it, and it's LOUD. The massive front tires follow grooves in the pavement and the blind spots make lane changes exciting on occasion. I tried to fit the base for our kiddy car seat in the back, just to see if it worked. It doesn't.

The point is, and probably wayfast84's point is that if you do use one of these cars for your every day transportation, there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone doesn't have the ability to keep a car for every occasion. You just have to make some concessions to that car choice and slow down. I don't think every day commuter comfort was a consideration when they designed these cars, and they're pretty old now so they suck compared to just about everything for that specific purpose.

So the best idea probably is to get a beater you can drive every day and park at Wal-Mart, whenever you can. Until then, just have to be careful.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't find the blind spots to be too bad in it. I think what helps is the long doors equals long side windows. I actually felt more blind in my Trailblazer than my Camaro when I first got it simply because there was a door pillar right in my way and I wasn't used to that. Of course I also felt like I was driving on top of the world compared to the Camaro as well
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml

The point is, and probably wayfast84's point is that if you do use one of these cars for your every day transportation, there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone doesn't have the ability to keep a car for every occasion. You just have to make some concessions to that car choice and slow down. I don't think every day commuter comfort was a consideration when they designed these cars, and they're pretty old now so they suck compared to just about everything for that specific purpose.

So the best idea probably is to get a beater you can drive every day and park at Wal-Mart, whenever you can. Until then, just have to be careful.
When you're stock or close to stock, they are no different than any other car if you drive like someone who has a brain. Also, part of the reason as to why they were designed the way they were was for people who plan to actually drive them from day to day.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silversrtman
My car is terrifying to drive in the rain...I have summer tires with plenty of tread...any corner I have to be really careful or it will come around on me
I had the same thing going as these guys until last week. I had stock size rims and tires on my z28 and had to ALWAYS make sure my foot was off the gas if I was even just driving by a sprinkler. I did a complete 180 once too. Wasn't even accelerating hard at all.

Last week I put some 2010 vette rims and tires (the goodyear super car f1 runflats) on. Noticed a huge difference in wet condition handling. Still keep my foot out of it though. Obviously.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
When you're stock or close to stock, they are no different than any other car if you drive like someone who has a brain. Also, part of the reason as to why they were designed the way they were was for people who plan to actually drive them from day to day.
My Camaro was bone stock at one time. I still disagree that they are just like any other car. For easy driving in the elements they are worse than just about anything on the road except a 2WD pickup. I'm sure they were designed to be driven by their owners; they just aren't the best car in the world for that particular purpose.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

My car never spins or hydroplanes.. at all
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

my car does if i drive too fast. if you are on stock 16x8 wheels, get bfgoodrich traction t/a's those tires are awesome.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I drive in the pouring rain all the time with drag radials and garbage fronts really without an issue. Only one trip I've hydroplaned and it was pretty much a monsoon and we were doing about 50-60
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang you must have some shitty shitty tires, even with 15k on my nitto drag radials I plowed through rain like a boss, no problems whatsoever. Then again, I wasn't driving like a jackass so maybe you need to slow down. Anything short of completely shot or no tread drag tires should be fine in the rain as long as you drive carefully.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redtan
Dang you must have some shitty shitty tires, even with 15k on my nitto drag radials I plowed through rain like a boss, no problems whatsoever. Then again, I wasn't driving like a jackass so maybe you need to slow down. Anything short of completely shot or no tread drag tires should be fine in the rain as long as you drive carefully.
Driving like a jackass? There are over 5 people on this thread who expressed the same problems driving through the rain. And most of us are just on normal highway commute, not "driving like a jackass".
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Driving like a jackass? There are over 5 people on this thread who expressed the same problems driving through the rain. And most of us are just on normal highway commute, not "driving like a jackass".
There are also many of us that *don't* have this problem, and I used to commute with this car on the highway in the rain all the time.

IMO, tires are the primary factor. But no tire will make up for a stupid driver, and there will always be some of those.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are also many of us that *don't* have this problem, and I used to commute with this car on the highway in the rain all the time.

IMO, tires are the primary factor. But no tire will make up for a stupid driver, and there will always be some of those.
Are you suggesting myself and the other people on this thread with the same problem are stupid drivers?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you suggesting myself and the other people on this thread with the same problem are stupid drivers?
OMG, really?

Tires are the issue not the car is what he is saying; HOWEVER, tires will not prevent drivers from being STUPID on the road.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

No. I don't know you, and I don't know all the people in this thread. But I am certainly suggesting that *some* of the people in the world that have this issue with these cars are indeed stupid drivers.

As for the people that aren't stupid drivers, then your problem is most likely tires. I've noticed a great deal of difference in the way the same car will behave with different types/condition of street tires.

Anyone that thinks it's impossibile to get an F-body to behave well on a wet road just hasn't found the right set of tires for their driving conditions yet. Or, like i said before, they just don't know how to handle the car. But the fact remains that these cars have the potential to be driven normally in the rain with a safe level of stability.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Driver mod.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Heavy rain can make "normal highway commute" speeds entirely too fast for the conditions. My daily driven truck hydroplanes more than my Camaro ever did...95% of the time, it is because I'm driving too fast for the conditions. Slow the **** down.

Quick Reply: Why do Camaros hydroplane so easily?