General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My brother thinks that LQ4s are not LS series(LSx) engines...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Its an LS style motor, but every LS block is aluminum. Every LQ has an iron block. Call it whatever the hell you want but IMO its not an LSX swap.
^
Agreed.

By what others are saying, Aluminum is the same as Iron.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
there's a bunch for Sikh guys out here in nor cal with LSx vehicles(mainly corvettes) running around, even more Sikh guys out here are running Whippled or Pullied/Ported Bolt-On '03-'04 Cobras

us old school guys are rare, one of my cousins has 67 caprice and a another has a show quality resto. '64 impala

my brothers just got a 01 camaro ss with a procharger, moser 9", monster stg.3, and just the usual bolt ons
just a procharged camaro ss with a 9" ...

I obviously live in the wrong place, all my buddies drive nissan Z cars, turbo'd civics, evo's...etc
You should start a poll on the LQ4/LSX topic
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

It just annoys me to no end when I am trying to find a "ls1 longblock" or "ls1 pullout" or "ls1 bare block" and I get a bunch of overpriced truck motors.

"Got me one uv dem iron el es one enguns but it smokes on start up, only got 210,000 miles on it but I'll let it go fer $800. Don't have no computer or anything, just the engun. Would trade fer camel hump tree fiddy heads or 3/4 race cam though"
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DB IZM
^
Agreed.

By what others are saying, Aluminum is the same as Iron.
so what's your aluminum block giving you that my iron isn't?

besides weight, and a slightly different procedure for rebuilds?

I'm not claiming iron and aluminum are the same, but an "ls" swap is just semantics. Now if you go around saying you "put an ls1 in my car out of a 99 silverado" then yea.. you're wrong.. but if you say "I'm doing an ls swap" I see no problem. We here at ls1tech know what you mean anyway.. as long as you don't go touting power numbers out of an "ls1" that's an LQ9, there's no worries in my book what you call it (unless you claim it's a hemi or something weird like that.. then you're just being dumb.)

gen III is gen III. LS, LQ, LM, whatever. You tell someone who doesn't know much about GM engines "I put a gen III LQ4 in it" they won't have a clue. You tell em you put an ls1 in, they MIGHT get it. It's like living in Atlanta.. the farther away you are the more likely I am to tell you I live in atlanta and not douglasville. Why? Because if I say Douglasville you're immediate gonna say "where's that?"
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Teching In

So call it a Gen III if you are going to generalize it. If who you tell doesn't know what that is, then get more detailed about it. It's a truck block with heads, cam and a LS intake.
Another way to look at it would be someone is building a turbo car and used flipped truck manifolds. Would you call them Forward facing turbo headers?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it cassifies as a LSX swap, after all that is where the LSX engine block name was derrived from because of all the different ls style engines that were used in builds, and GM wanted be able to make a block that would be able to be molded into all the examples.

so you tell me the guy that orders a LSX 5.3 block does not have a LSX engine? its iron and 5.3 so how is it different from a ls based engine? thats like saying a LQ9 L92 is not a lsx style engine as well.

you have a LSX based engine but when you tell people just tell them its a 5.3 lsx swap.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

oh and to END this argument a iron 5.3 classifies as a LSX engine in the LSX shootount and you can legally run it. so there you have it

its funny cause if you had a 5.7 or larger engine knowone would probably even argue the fact that its a lsx engine some just dont classifly anything smaller than the 346ci one as anywhere in the same class
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I have always called any of the gen III/IV motors and lsx. dont matter if its iron or aluminium. everyone i have ever talked to about it always knows exactly what iam talking about. the only people who ever seem to care are those damn rice queens..."oh look at that camaro with a truck motor"...as i pull away hard with my ***** hangin out so everyone can see!just happy to own one of the best engines ever made!

Last edited by BlumaroZ28; 12-16-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

http://www.nmcadigital.com/lsx/rules...&%20Purses.pdf

LSX Shootout Rules:

ENGINE
Only LS based small block engines are allowed.
Cast aluminum or iron block required
Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
just a procharged camaro ss with a 9" ...

I obviously live in the wrong place, all my buddies drive nissan Z cars, turbo'd civics, evo's...etc
You should start a poll on the LQ4/LSX topic
you get the usual import punjabi crowd out here as well, but its mainly "higher end" imports like g35/7, 350z, etc. - youll see a bunch of guys with acuras/hondas and stuff(but there not really car guys, stock daily drivers).
Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Launching!

i don't care what you call it... ls / lq / lm when you can get a junkyard 5.3 + bolts on's + tune and kill mustangs (all on the cheap) = good day.

does it matter what you call it if YOU enjoy driving it?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parks450
I believe they are LSX motors. LSX isnt a particular motor. Its a way to summarize all the ls/gen 3 motors since their all based on the same design. So it is a LSX related swap.
Is this the standard opinion ? I have been confused on this topic because I see the lsx as the lsx block that gm sells. Which I thought was also considered the Ls7 block. I may not know what I'm talking about, but when I tell people about my 5.3l ls style motor they look confused..
Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
So for months now whenever I call a LQ4 or LQ9 engine a "LS" my brother(on ls1tech) corrects me and says that these engines arnt LS engines. He legitimately thinks that LQ engines arnt LS engines, saying that GM wouldn't have used a Q instead of a S if they were.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

(I have an LQ4 in my '65 Chevelle[4-Door], should I stop telling people I have a "LS Swap"?)
I understand that the engines are similar but why not just say you have a LQ4 or LQ swap. Its really not abbreviating it anymore by saying "LS" instead of "LQ" and your going out of your way to make it more generalized. And although an aluminum vs. iron block doesn't really offer anything different except the irons stronger at the end of the day its still different regardless of how similar it is.

So I wouldn't nitpick with what your saying but I guess I don't understand why you just don't call it what it is. Almost sounds like you really wanted an LS block but settled for an iron block
Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

so if an LQ4 and an LS1 are basically cookie cutter engines in terms of specs, how does that effect the heads? can you put LSX heads on an LQ4?

the reason I ask is because I have a blown 347 LS6 with Patriot Stage 3 heads and didnt know if I had other options if I didn't go with an LS1/6 shortblock.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Although they are designed the same and the major difference is the block material, all of the truck motors, to include the LQ series, are known as "vortec" series motors. Even my all aluminum 2005 5.3 has vortec on the intake cover. Just a marketing thing really. Everything is still the same as an LS engine. Its all the same. Hence the interchangability of 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 parts in the cars or trucks.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanewing88
so if an LQ4 and an LS1 are basically cookie cutter engines in terms of specs, how does that effect the heads? can you put LSX heads on an LQ4?

the reason I ask is because I have a blown 347 LS6 with Patriot Stage 3 heads and didnt know if I had other options if I didn't go with an LS1/6 shortblock.
yes you can

you can even put Gen IV heads on an LQ4 (L92 heads.)

but.. AFAIK you can't put those on "ls1" motors because of the bore.

all you need for your swap really is a 24x reluctor wheel gen III truck motor and you should be good to go. stage 3 Ls6 heads will do well on an Lq4. (but.. now I'm kinda ing)

again, it's all semantics. It can be confusing when people are getting into the hobby, and can actually be frustrating since some parts that are "lsx" compatible are only compatible to SOME "lsx" motors based on bore and the generation of the block, but it can all be made to fit.

This is one of the best things about GM is the similar but different approach they take.

a 67 c10 and a 72 c10 are "interchangeable" in so far as parts fitting, allowing you to basically shape it into anything you want to accomplish your goals. Can you call that 72 a 67 when you're done? well the DOT says no, but imo? yes you can.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Don't think this was mentioned earlier in thread.........

But seems like the discussion is revolving around aluminum or iron blocks. (& interchangeability)
So, what does GM call their kick-*** IRON block?
uh, LSX?
not MEGA-LQ

But regardless, I'd always consider ANY engine based on the LS1 to be an LS series engine.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Definitely a generalized LSX name so that people don’t get into these stupid arguments. Who cares, as long as its not a muffstain. lol
Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Teching In

K think I will have to put in my two cents Here an lsx block is a gm preformance very similar to all the lq ls and l33 motors however it has a taller deck and larger oilers for all intents and purposes the lq's are cast iron ls's with the exception of the L33 which is a aluminum 5.3
Old 01-12-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

LSx= any LS variation or combination of any Gen III/V architecture,regardless of block material or year.
IE. 2005 6.0 LQ4 equipped with L33 243 cylinder heads and sealed with a 2002 LS6 intake manifold

LSX= GMPP cast iron aftermarket race,h.o. Engine block.

LS motors= another generally accepted term for any of the GenIII/V family line
IE. I had one guy who did not want to run heads up cuz my IROC had a "LS motor" and he didnt know if it was a jy 5.3 or a 500rw 6.0. But LS motor none the less.

(was actually a .060 over LQ4 block/crank/rods with ported 243 heads and TRex cam, engine was painted aluminum silver with the casting off the heads ground off, I coulda lied to the guys that think the LQs are not a LS, they woulda believed it was a 5.7 aluminum LS1 the whole, none the wiser.)

Last edited by NemeSS; 01-12-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply: My brother thinks that LQ4s are not LS series(LSx) engines...