General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I'm sure you guys can appreciate this

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
hydrogen is the future, not electric, but I'm sure oil companies and all who depend on their income investors, government don't want to see hydrogen tech, being developed, I know the equiptment to separate hydrogen from water is expensive, but eventually I think it has to become affordable, I know some university made a house that had its own hydrogen plant or electrolysis machine whatever you want to call it, and the house ran on 1 gallon of water, and you could use the machine to also fill your car, so I would think that in the future maybe houses would come with their own fuel supply. then of course you have to talk about how water isn't unlimited either, so who knows, hydrogen just makes more sense
I agree and I wish neighborhoods each had small nuclear power plants to further reduce our reliance on coal and such. It's obvious that wind power and solar power are not worth pursuing at this time due to the expense and shitty technology we're burdened with to harness. I do like tidal plants but hydrogen and nuclear are probably the most practical.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
Hybrid's in general are for people who want the word HYBRID on the side so they can be smug about their better existence than the rest of us...
No ****. I tend to attract douches in Prius cars that love to tailgate me for some reason and I'm usually doing 75 in the slow lane (limit is 70). This is why I try to cut them off every chance I get as juvenile as that may be.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen brother! Its "LSoneconomics" 101!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Haha. Nice calculations.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

i heard on the news that every chevy volt sold costs the tax payers $24,000-$26,000 cant remember which one. dang government subsidies.

fossil fuels are of little concern to me because they will last my entire life. that may sound selfish, but i think technology adapts better with necessity than with government mandate. for now, as far as fossil fuels go: smoke em if ya got em.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Russell PTA
i heard on the news that every chevy volt sold costs the tax payers $24,000-$26,000 cant remember which one. dang government subsidies.
Last I checked it was around $7500 in tax rebates, how does that equal over 20 grand?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice calculations. Just purchased a 2012 Camry for my wife last night, it cost more than 3X as much as my T/A did. Kinda depressing when I think of it like that... Anyways, wife loves the car so I guess my happy wife = happy life theory will be put to the test.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure the damage would be covered by warrenty
Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Launching!

Smile

Hybrid's in general are for people who want the word HYBRID on the side so they can be smug about their better existence than the rest of us...

That must be true. According the the South Park animated TV series, hybrid owners are existing under the belief that their farts don't stink.

That being said, I encourage people to buy hybrids so there is more gas for me......
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Launching!

So this is why we learn how to do math in high school... To put hippies in their place!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I'll put a Hybrid tag on the side of my S10..just to **** with em..
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91b-AIk-00

nuff said, this is more of a apples to apples comparison, however i will say that VW has been having some problems with their new CR 2.0 TDI motor, however if you get a older PD 1.9 TDI or a 1.9 ALH TDI, it is not only more reliable but will get better mileage then the new 2.0. one more point to make is that with my 2006 1.9 TDI (PD motor) i can get 600 miles per tank on 13 gallons, if you go with the older TDI golfs you can get close to 700 or 800 miles per tank and around 60mpgs on the highway. let’s face it with the prius getting better city mileage than highway I KNOW all the prius owners are bypassing the highways and staying on the city streets for "economy". This is also true with the older civic 5 speeds like someone else has mentioned earlier in this thread. So to sum up, prius sucks and small diesel technology is way better (also LS power).
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://youtu.be/u1j4mK6cs_A
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Copied from an email but this one is about the Volt.

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.
So this thread is the comparison of the cost of fuel vs how long it takes to break even. This example could further be expanded on the costs of the two cars and to add the fuel cost per mile to the electricity cost per mile. Another stat Id be interested in is the cost of insurance. I have no idea but Id think a new model car would cost more for insurance per year than say a Cobalt.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Haha yes, exactly. I laugh whenever I see anyone driving a Prius because they think they're above all else with their hybrid and it saves them so much money. The amount of people that got suckered into that one, jeez. On top of that, a lot of these people replaced a perfectly fine non-hybrid car with it, i.e. spending unnecessary money. So exactly, what are they really saving? I guess this could go for all hybrid and electric cars, Prius is just the one that started the hybrid thing.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Haha yes, exactly. I laugh whenever I see anyone driving a Prius because they think they're above all else with their hybrid and it saves them so much money. The amount of people that got suckered into that one, jeez. On top of that, a lot of these people replaced a perfectly fine non-hybrid car with it, i.e. spending unnecessary money. So exactly, what are they really saving? I guess this could go for all hybrid and electric cars, Prius is just the one that started the hybrid thing.
Agreed.

If someone wants/needs a new car, and gas mileage is a concern to them, then I guess it makes sense to look at all options that offer best possibile MPG. BUT, if their old car is running perfectly fine and gets anything close to 20mpg or better on average, and their ONLY reasoning for getting a new hybrid is to "save money on gas", then they are not looking at the bigger financial picture. Think about the initial purchase price of a new car that you don't actually need (unless you DO need a new car, and then that's a different story), plus taxes and any interest on a loan, plus higher insurance for a new(er) car. The only way that you're ever going to get ahead like this is if your old car was some kind of big block truck that got 6mpg on average and required premium gas, and you have a 50+ mile daily commute.

For people that actually want to save the most money, keep driving whatever car you have now until it becomes unreliable. Then look at a newer (not brand new) car that gets better mileage. Buying expensive new cars is never the answer if you're trying to save as much money as possibile.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

this made my day ......
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

So it was pointed out to me that the chain email story I posted has a major flaw. Cost per kwh is off by a decimal point. My area is around $0.11 vs $1.16. So that skews pretty much the entire story.

Quick Reply: I'm sure you guys can appreciate this