General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Quick question about storing a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick question about storing a car

I put my TA away for the winter because they put loads of salt all over the roads and I'm not letting it touch my paint. The car has been in the garage for alittle over a month now. I haven't went and started it like I did last winter every week, is it bad to let the car just sit for long periods of time without starting? I know it can drain the battery but is it bad for the oil to just sit for so long?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix
I put my TA away for the winter because they put loads of salt all over the roads and I'm not letting it touch my paint. The car has been in the garage for alittle over a month now. I haven't went and started it like I did last winter every week, is it bad to let the car just sit for long periods of time without starting? I know it can drain the battery but is it bad for the oil to just sit for so long?
My '98 car has sat for 5-6 months every winter for 14 years. It still runs like a brand new car, with all it's original engine parts. Hopefully that answers your question.

What is not good for the oil/engine is to start the car once a week in cold weather just to let it idle for a while. What you have done in previous years is more harmful than just leaving it sit.

I would recommend putting Stabil in the gas prior to storage.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did what rpm said last winter and it worked out good. I let it sit for 3 months, never started it, just left the battery unplugged and added stabil. In the spring it started up no problems like it never got put away.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 531 Likes on 381 Posts

Good advice above ^^^. Sitting for months won't hurt anything. Sitting for years is another story, involving everything from the engine to the tires.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea if your gonna start it once in a while, make sure you actually drive it, don't just let it idle for a few minutes.