General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I have $1000 to spend on stock trans am 148k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Gears won't do much for you.

If it's an auto and you want bang for buck the first thing after you make sure the car is solid and maintained should be a 3200-3600 stall converter and trans cooler.
^this , convertor will drop 6-8 tenths off et if you get some good tires (DRs) gears will not, plus 7.5" 10 bolts with low gears get broken easily - GM didnt offer lower than 3.42 in these cars for good reason ...small ring gear size means really thin gears if you go with low ratio's so they get easier to break the lower you go.

make sure you buy a good convertor , yank ,vigilante , etc...not what your local rebuilder says is good.

convertor & tires will spend your grand and you will have a car that goes real good at the track for mods in place.

Miles dont matter either some cars are around town miles and worn out at 150k , others that are all highway are still running great at 250k , my 00z has 230k on stock un opened engine and runs the ***** , I have many other 200k + cars also and I spray some of them on occasion just be sure you hit target AFR's and keep the shot conservative like a 50 or 75 shot , if you do this your less likely to have an issue than if you take the engine aprt in any way ( cam , heads ,etc...) if it aint broke.......