General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do camaro's have stock aluminum driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Another variation to throw into the mix. A TSB was issued back then for customers complaining of vibration. If the car had a steel driveshaft and after the dealer checked the balance of the tires/rims and no source for the vibration could be found,the standard aluminum shaft replaced the steel one. I used to have the number of the TSB,but it's been a while.
I remember the "vibeshaft" issues with the steel shaft LT1 cars, but don't recall this being a problem with the LS1 models (nor did I ever have this issue with either of mine). Was this a TSB for the LS1 cars as well?

The driveshaft issue that I remember best with the LS1 cars was the "tinking" issue with the aluminum shafts during the LS1 years. My '99 had a horrible case of this when it was new. I know a few folks kept going back to dealers under warranty trying to get one that wouldn't tink. I wonder if some folks ended up with steel replacements due to this?
Old 09-15-2018, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

As far as the TSB for LT1s' with steel,have an acquaintance with a 2002 Z28. Dealer replaced his with aluminum. When he told me about it,he said the dealer told him about a 'bulletin',so evidently they were applying the TSB to later cars too. That's when I found out about the TSB.

Quick Reply: Do camaro's have stock aluminum driveshafts?