General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you dyno tune it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Exeodus
Let's remove the cost from the equation for a moment. Would you agree that while a mail-in tune would pickup power for me and dial me in better, wouldn't a dyno tune give me all that and a few more?
With an experienced tuner there should be no comparison. As others have said before, the difference is you are guessing with mail order vs. knowing for sure with an in person/ dyno tune. But obviously you have to pay for it.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Let's remove the cost from the equation for a moment. Would you agree that while a mail-in tune would pickup power for me and dial me in better, wouldn't a dyno tune give me all that and a few more?
Yes, the dyno tune will give you the most possibile power from your setup (assuming you go to a good dyno tuner).

If you are not worried about the additional cost, and you want the absolute most possibile power from your current setup without any intention of additional mods in the future, then a dyno tune would be the way to go even at your current mod level.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
Dude do not be afraid of a stall... it behaves like stock once its in lock-up and after a while you wont even notice its different when accelerating normally. Besides turning higher RPMs is not due to the stall... its due to the gears.

You keep mentioning speed inc... where in IL are you. I have a buddy with a 3600 stalled daily driven auto with a 3.42 gear... u need to see how that drives. I would be willing to bet it would change your mind on stalls. My friend turns ~2200 RPM @ 70 with that set up.
I'm in Bolingbrook. I took my car to them for a basic tune in 2008 because the original owner removed the cats, AIR, & EGR without having he codes removed properly. So they did that for me and adjusted the speedo for the 3.54 gear.

I was impressed by their service and my friend had his dyno tuned thier last spring and was happy. They are also giving me a good deal on it.

What I wonder about a stall though is beyond the track where you can really use it? What is the main advantage for just street cruising? Being a droptop, finding a track that won't give you a hard time isn't easy.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What I wonder about a stall though is beyond the track where you can really use it? What is the main advantage for just street cruising? Being a droptop, finding a track that won't give you a hard time isn't easy.
At the instant of WOT (even from a street roll), the engine will rev to the meat of it's powerband much quicker with a higher stall, and shift extension (rpm to which the engine drops after a WOT upshift) will be raised with a higher stall, thus simulating a closer-ratio transmission and keeping the engine from falling out of it's powerband.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, I completely agree that a dyno is far better than a mail order, I just didn't want to see you spend money twice. Just trying to save you a few bucks.

I was under the impression you were going to stall / small cam in the near future, and was siply suggesting a mail order would be great for the time being; Until you were ready to do anything else.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I got a dyno tune with bolt-ons I got a 20rwhp increase. If I had known about mail order tune I would have done that, the cost for a dyno tune is just a lot. Plus I did H/C a few years later and had to pay full boat for another tune.