General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Made a real newb mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JStragWS6
Yea i'd be a ton easier if the danm battery wasn't dead. Thanks for all the help guys, from what I gathered, pulling the handle will pop the lock and if I can't get it that way, Ill try pulling the keys out of the ignition lol, might be too far away though.
pulling the handle will NOT pop the lock
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
And when the battery dies completely because he didn't buy batteries? Or it gets wet and doesn't work?
That's when he uses the door key. He wanted to make a "copy" of one, which means he has one already. He can put the door key with his house keys and have the ignition key with the key fob, so just in case he leaves the ignition key in the car or the key fob or battery is dead, he can use the door key that's with his house keys that's on a separate ring.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
If it is a t top car, I'm surprised this thread even exists unless they are locked as well. Took me 3 minutes to pry The window away enough to pop the t top latch.
THIS! I did this with my third gen when i locked the keys inside, broke the spatula part of a spatula leaving just a metal rod with a handle, bent the rod, pried open the window enough to get the rod in and opened the ttop latch. I used a spatula because a hanger was too weak to pop the latch.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I just thought of this. Don't our cars prevent the doors from locking if the key is in the ignition? In the winter I would warm mine up before going to work in the morning and the keyless entry and power lock switch would not lock the doors. I had to do it manually. Does that only apply if the car is running or if the ignition is in the "on" position?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bird.is.Word
I just thought of this. Don't our cars prevent the doors from locking if the key is in the ignition? In the winter I would warm mine up before going to work in the morning and the keyless entry and power lock switch would not lock the doors. I had to do it manually. Does that only apply if the car is running or if the ignition is in the "on" position?
My car sounds an alarm chime if I open the doors while the keys are in the ignition. It doesn't mind at all if I lock or unlock the doors with the keys in the ignition. Either way, OP's battery is dead so none of those functions would work.

Definitely try the T-Tops. If you take those off on a regular basis they may not be locked! If not, you can reach the manual door lock, and move it with a wire hanger. It will take many tries, and be frustrating, but it can be done. I once had a 1995 Chevrolet Corsica with very similar door locks and had to do this a few times.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
pulling the handle will NOT pop the lock
Lol thanks for clearing it up.

Got the keys out. Tried doing it by unlocking the t top but couldn't bent the metal to work so I pulled the lock. Took 2 min. Thanks for the replies.