General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 or cammed 2006 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

if you were to mod either car they would cost a bunch, especially exhaust. its not like an Fbody where you can get an get a fully stainless exhaust for under 1k (tsp lt/ory and magnaflow). if it were me id get do the c5z cuz it weights a substantial amount less than the gto and is just an all around better car. the difference for the price of the car isnt that much either, i saw a bunch of c5zs over on corvette forum for under 20K with less than 75k on them and FRC's for around 12-15.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by O-FiveCC
Opinion^^^
It's all just opinions. No matter how many compliments you get, there will always be people that truly dislike the car. And no matter how many people dislike the car, there will always be people that think it's great. Neither is wrong.

Most people that like GTOs seem to point out their interior as a major reason, not the exterior. I'm not an "interior" person, so this is of little importance to me, but to some it seems to be a big deal. Frankly I'm not even sure what it must feel like to be one of these people that is so fixated on interiors. I've had everything from luxury cars to F-bodies (and even driven a couple GTOs), and I've never been particularly drawn to ANY car based on the interior. Having said that, I prefer the C5 interior over a GTO due to layout and seating position.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really fixated on the interior, but, I do want something decent I guess. What I like to do is find a "decent" or "good" in every category. GTO interior, not excellent, but was better then the F-bodies and Corvette's. I did drive it back 1000 miles and 17 hours straight when I bought it, so it was a plus, at least then to be so comfortable. Performance is good. A driver's race with a good LS1 F-body, and with the LS2 (like LS1) obviously responds well to mods. Also, is something you don't see to often, which TO ME, was a plus. Believe me, I know a GTO isn't appealing to everyone. I had a guy at work ask me if it was the fast version of a Cobalt. Then, after he rode with me, he looked for months to find one for himself. I got mine for $11k with 59k miles. I crossed shopped 03/04 Cobra's, F-bodies, C5's. Each of those car's has something better then the GTO, but the GTO is at least "good" in all. Price was way lower then an equal Cobra (that I found), and performance was either on par, or better then the F-bodies/C5, and interior better then all. However, so someone who wants a true "race-ish" car experience, the C5 is better. Both C5 and F-body are a much better platform for straight line as well.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Launching!

if you were to mod either car they would cost a bunch, especially exhaust. its not like an Fbody where you can get an get a fully stainless exhaust for under 1k
Got my header's, catless mids, muffler's, and x-pipe for under $700 all new
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Got my header's, catless mids, muffler's, and x-pipe for under $700 all new
He was referring to vettes. You cant get a full exhaust for under 1000$ new for a C5.

I bought my stuff used and sold the stock stuff. Spent 275$ when it was said and done
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not really fixated on the interior, but, I do want something decent I guess. What I like to do is find a "decent" or "good" in every category. GTO interior, not excellent, but was better then the F-bodies and Corvette's. I did drive it back 1000 miles and 17 hours straight when I bought it, so it was a plus, at least then to be so comfortable. Performance is good. A driver's race with a good LS1 F-body, and with the LS2 (like LS1) obviously responds well to mods. Also, is something you don't see to often, which TO ME, was a plus. Believe me, I know a GTO isn't appealing to everyone. I had a guy at work ask me if it was the fast version of a Cobalt. Then, after he rode with me, he looked for months to find one for himself. I got mine for $11k with 59k miles. I crossed shopped 03/04 Cobra's, F-bodies, C5's. Each of those car's has something better then the GTO, but the GTO is at least "good" in all. Price was way lower then an equal Cobra (that I found), and performance was either on par, or better then the F-bodies/C5, and interior better then all. However, so someone who wants a true "race-ish" car experience, the C5 is better. Both C5 and F-body are a much better platform for straight line as well.
I can agree with some of your post. Definitely the interior is better but that was about the only thing. One of the reasons I got rid of my GTO was because my friend bought a 05 and I had an 04. So I bought a C5 coupe A4 we lined up it was extremely close stock for stock but I got him by a nose.

The second thing I wouldnt agree with is mods. The LS2 is a great engine and can handle alot of boost but for the guys that love to run cam only the LS2 doesnt respond as well as a LS1, LS6 from what I've personally seen. You are correct though if your looking for a good priced car GTO's you can steal right now unlike C5's. In reality there all nice cars but the C5Z is the better of the 3 choices IMO but then again I'm partial to C5s lol
Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I hear ya. The C5z isn't even these other car's same league. I do want a Vette myself. I would be ok with a used C6, even Ls2. I'm not really sure on the cam/LS2 thing. I have seen mid 400's cam only. Average between 410-20 (auto's) up to 440-450 (m6) with a decent cam. Not sure how that compares to the LS1, obviously dyno's are just tools though. I would think the LS2 being basically the same thing, but 18 C.I. bigger with better flowing heads would be a bit better? I won't be cam only anyway=)...Oh and good to hear on the LS2 GTO vs C5 race, always wondered how that would turn out. Figured the C5 would have the top-end

Last edited by O-FiveCC; 05-10-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

What time do you think the 426rwhp gto could run in the 1/4 opposed to the stock c5?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

The LS2 is 400hp (GTO). They are both very close. Sure the GTO has more power, but the C5 is 500lbs lighter. GTO's have run down to 12.6 stock, but do not expect to run a 12, unless the air is decent, and you really know how to launch the car. C5's have also gone 12.6 I believe. They would be more consistent, and if the race were to keep going up in the triple digits, the C5 will likely eventually pull on the GTO due to weight and aerodynamics. We are talking splitting hairs though, they are very close, and really is a driver's race....IMO at least
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

The LS2 is 400hp (GTO). They are both very close. Sure the GTO has more power, but the C5 is 500lbs lighter. GTO's have run down to 12.6 stock, but do not expect to run a 12, unless the air is decent, and you really know how to launch the car. C5's have also gone 12.6 I believe. They would be more consistent, and if the race were to keep going up in the triple digits, the C5 will likely eventually pull on the GTO due to weight and aerodynamics. We are talking splitting hairs though, they are very close, and really is a driver's race....IMO at least
This is very true and when I raced my buddy he had a m6 and I had an A4 we were dead even till about 90 then I started to pull on him. Now I have a Z different story we both have headers and cam but not so close
Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah but the GTO that is cammed and makes 426rwhp and the corvette is stock
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Oh gotcha. Does the guy have a dyno sheet of the 426whp GTO? Get a look at the torque curve and see how fun or crappy it would be to drive around town. With that hp number, it seems to be a mild/medium cam, so if the the tune on it is good, it could be a very fun car.....that has traction issue's lol
Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Get the GTO. If for no other reason, you don't see as many as you do of the vettes.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah he has dyno sheet, the cam is a megadeth so it is pretty big
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Seeet. A megadeath, your not going to have much fun from stoplight to stoplight as a low 230's duration cam. easy to swap out though.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Megadeath is 244/242 .612/610 I think
Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

The funny thing about the LS2 is you can put a monster cam or a baby cam in them and they make almost the same power. A GTO has traction issues on stock power, but a cammed GTO vs a stock C5 the C5 is gonna get crushed but a C5Z is going to give you a run for your money. If you absolutely had to have a car now then get the GTO but they don't hold there value at all so be prepared to lose money. I'm wondering what the torque is on that cam in the GTO? One last think if your going to DD this car you might want to consider the cam in the GTO I'm running a large Tsunami cam in my Zo6 and I would never DD that car its a handful and PIA in town and traffic. just my .02
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Launching!

The tourque is around 420 something like that
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Yeah it's just not the peak you want to look at. I have seen smaller cam cars crush the larger cam cars on the street, due to the larger cam vehicle having it power peak way up high, but not having much under the curve power. The under the curve power is what will make the street/city driving much more fun. I plan on a mild 230/232 or 232/234 sized cam for my GTO. I was actually going to do a 228/232, but decided to go a hair bigger, since Ill be able to use the flow when I do the heads.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Is 17.5k a good price for a 2002 Z06 with 79 k miles? But 2nd gear is givin out.

Quick Reply: C5 or cammed 2006 GTO?