General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car completely totaled, eng. trans worth pulling??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car completely totaled, eng. trans worth pulling??

completely trashed my baby the other day. contact ripped while i was driving and i saw i was about to go over the edge of the road and i yanked to the left -over-correcting around a turn- and smacked the gas instead of the brake -stupid mistake but if you had felt the pain in my eye you would understand making the mistake.... no comments needed please- and fishtailed off the road, went over some grass, then across a road that joined the one i had just came off of, nailed the curb doing 45ish plus whatever i had gained from smacking the gas -turning the concrete curb into very small pieces of rock- hitting the curb then popped my front end into the air a couple feet when i made contact with a tree, snapping it completely off about 2 feet above the ground, which in turn caused me to cartweel over and land in some guys yard stopping because i dug about a foot deep trench in his grass. by the time it was over the engine had already turned off. upon further inspection there was oil all over the lawn. (oil pan came right off when hitting the curb) if in theory i bought my mangled mess from the insurance comp. what would i have to do to get the engine/ trans working properly? i have a walk around video i will post in a comment
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can always sale it or use it in a swap
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Teching In

please excuse the fact that its sideways and the terrible narrative. i was talking to my parents and my gf

yea i want to take it and put it in a second gen roller. but i want to know if its even worth pulling. any comments on what the estimated damage to the engine and trans is appreciated. i assume it cut off before it ran out of oil. but thats just my thought
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow good to see you're ok.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

yea. i appriciate it. the words lucky to be alive i have heard more than i can count on my hands and toes. i crawled out the back hatch glass. and im tottaly fine, a few scrapes from crawling out and a bruise on my thigh. it happened 2 days ago in exactly 30 minutes and today i was at a rock consert and tomorrow im going swimming haha.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Glad you are okay, and virtually uninjured. Wish I could say the same for your car It almost hurts seeing one in that condition
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that will buff out. Slap some Meguiars Ultimate Compound on there and get to work!.... In all seriousness, I am glad you are okay. Just shows how tough these cars are! It would all depend how much the company wants to sell it for. The trans alone is like 1500, plus the engine. So I would say anything under 3k for the car, I would buy it.

Nix
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Teching In

yea man im not even gonna lie to u i cried for the first time since i was 10 when i went to the lot to take this vid. and iv been to like 7 funerals since. and well im fully covered so hopefully insurance doesn't screw me on the value. and i know how much they are worth but could the engine be seized? or could the impact have crushed bearings? if they want salvage yard prices for them im pulling them and putting them in a second gen but i want to know what kind of damage to expect. if anyone has any experience with this kinda thing please chime in!

and thanks for the concern guys! ill b alright

ps i call her my canadian baby because it was made in canada -for those who couldnt guess lol-
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It might be seized. You said the engine died and the oil pan was taken off? Or did it stop on impact?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Teching In

um idk when the engine stopped to be honest. i hope b4 the oil pan came off. but im not sure. the sound of twisting metal and breaking glass overcame the sound of an engine haha. it would be my guess that it stopped at some point in the air by the time i was back down it wa off. it wasnt still running by the end of the accident
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

I bought a car with similar damages for $2600, but it had 32k miles and many aftermarket parts. The engine still ran. Didn't lose any oil in the accident, but did lose all the coolant.

I'd buy it back off insurance for the drivetrain. Slap a new oil pan on and go. These motors are very tough. I'm sure the engine wasn't hurt in the accident even if the pan was busted. Unless it was hit hard enough that the crank was damaged..
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't be afraid of the motor being hurt from the wreck, but rather the dirt and debrees that got into it with no oil pan..... If that's the case motor would have to be torn down and cleaned up.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know you're alright, man.

I know when my Firebird was crashed into last year, setting off the Airbags, my engine was killed immediately. I don't know if this happened as an emergency function designed to occur during airbag deployment or simply due to the damage the front end components sustained from the impact. If this is a function of airbag deployment, I would say your motor is fine.

Here is a bit of advice when it comes to dealing with the what your Insurance Company is willing to pay out. Take it for what its worth...

My car didn't sustain near the damage you have, but was still considered a Total Loss. (Which is bullshit, because the car is more than repairable, but I won't go into that.) I chose to keep the car and was still paid NADA Book Value of the car by my insurance company. This was due to the immaculate condition I keep the car in and what the car could have sold for as a Fair Market Value. So how your insurance decides what your car is worth can depend on what kind of shape your car was in prior to the accident as well as what the car could currently go for in the real world.

Don't be afraid to do a little research into what cars like yours are currently going for. Book Value is one thing. Real World Pricing can be a completely different thing. See what kind of prices Autotrader, eBay, Craigslist, and even the Classified Section on this site a Camaro like yours (Year, Mileage, Options, & Condition) is fetching for a price. Present these findings to your Insurance Co. to show them what you will actually have to pay to replace your car. Once you get a dollar amount established, then ask them what they believe the car is worth in its current condition. Subtract the latter from the former and see if that's a fair price to get the drivetrain from your "Canadian Baby" or if you simply want to take the full amount they're offering and replace the car. Good luck, man.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 PM

If you can buy it back for a good price go for it even if the bottom end is bad you can part out the rest with no problems and make more easily I would say..... Is the rear end still completely in one price? Along with the drive shaft. Trans and rear end that's 2k in parts alone.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can buy wrecks with known good engines for less than $2k so spend your money wisely
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

thanks for the imput guys! and for anyone wandering the oil pan was completely ripped off. gone nadda, but if its a safety feature that the engine cuts when the bags r deployed i should b good! ill have to saw the front end off because its so crushed in i couldnt pull the engine if i tried. im calling the insurance company in the morning to see if i can buy it back
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to see your ok!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Teching In

thanks man! nice sig pic lol
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

go buy a lotto ticket, that was your lucky day
THat could of ended up a totally different way!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

what happened to the video?