General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

when is it too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Translating big power into forward motion is the biggest issue as far as I can see. I can't see how 500+ rwhp can work on the street when I have to run DR's just to handle bolt-ons and stall.

The other issue is just having enough open road to experience the performance potential of the car. Driving with my buddy in his C6Z on freeways at night in San Diego ... he'd open it up and in seconds we were contending with slow traffic and trying to work around it. There just isn't enough room for the car to do what it was designed to do.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. Fortunately we nave 3 drag strips and 2 autocross tracks and 1 brand new road course. Now if I can just convince myself to save it for the track... who knows I might even get my driver's liscense back one day..
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally if I had to use my car as a DD I would hope that I never modded it at all. The ls1 makes a great car out of the box. Every time you add something you chip away at the driveabilty. This is my third combo, I've pulled off most of the road racing suspension. Taken off the poly motor mounts just to get rid of the buzz and clank that had been going on. I have a stack of clutches in the basement that would pay for a decent second car and having to run premium with every tank just means throwing more money at the car.
But it is fun having something that makes your brother in law almost wet himself when you launch. I'm on street rubber for now which makes it interesting on the street as a little grit can make for some unintended pulls.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I daily drive my 400/550 Buick with all season tires. Its plenty of fun, but it can be a handful at WOT. It drives well in the rain on all-season tires (275-60-15). Now.. You may not know this, I am 17. This is my first performance car. If I can handle the power, I think any competent driver should be able to handle it.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handling the power is really not a concern. Using it without getting arrested(again) is...

Quick Reply: when is it too much?