General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Restarting a 5.3L Truck After Sitting a While...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restarting a 5.3L Truck After Sitting a While...

Hey everyone!

My 2000 Silverado project has been very slow going. I'm getting ready to finish it up but the engine has sat without running for about a year - fuel lines, tank, pump removed, etc..

Back in the day when I played with old school Chevy small blocks, I'd just pull the hot lead off the distributor and crank the engine over till I got oil pressure.

My question is, how should I go about restarting this Gen III engine? I'm planning to change the oil before starting of course, but how should I prevent it from starting while I crank it over for oil pressure?

Anything else I need to be aware of? The engine has 130,000 miles.

Thanks a lot!

Adam
Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be tempted to pull plugs and spritz a little WD-40 or PB Blaster in there to soak a few on the rings and hope they are not rusted to the cylinder walls. It's typically not an issue, but that stuff will burn out quickly so why not?

Also, pull the fuel pump fuse/relay under the hood, and then you can crank it over and get things "loosened up" and start to spin the pump in hopes of priming it. Unfortunately, at the very low RPM the starter will turn the engine, you will not be getting oil everywhere in the engine until you actually start it. Pulling the valve covers and pouring a bit of oil over springs, pushrods (and thereby down into lifter trays and onto cam) would be nice too.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Restarting a 5.3L Truck After Sitting a While...