General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

prep me for driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
I've driven mine through two Indiana winters.....therefor I'm pretty sure I know better than you. Driving in the winter is not fun period. Its not that damn bad though. If you have no other choice you have to man up and just drive it. My car didn't look too bad after 2 winters.
Let me explain. I drove my Camaro for two weeks in the northern Indiana winter. I lived most of my life in Indiana and spent over 4 years driving in those winters, with 4 different cars. A RWD T-bird, had all season tires by the way, still got stuck several times, my Camaro, had summer tires though, so I deserved it.

Also had a FWD Monte Carlo and a FWD Sebring, those did a lot better, and both had all season tires.

Now, if you have no other choice and the F-body is your only car, then yeah, you'll have to make due. But I kind of value my car, and don't want to submit it to all the salt on the roads around that time of year.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Let me explain. I drove my Camaro for two weeks in the northern Indiana winter. I lived most of my life in Indiana and spent over 4 years driving in those winters, with 4 different cars. A RWD T-bird, had all season tires by the way, still got stuck several times, my Camaro, had summer tires though, so I deserved it.

Also had a FWD Monte Carlo and a FWD Sebring, those did a lot better, and both had all season tires.

Now, if you have no other choice and the F-body is your only car, then yeah, you'll have to make due. But I kind of value my car, and don't want to submit it to all the salt on the roads around that time of year.
This will be my 12th Indiana winter that I've driven and I've never gotten stuck anywhere in snow. Not even when I used to live out in the boonies where you were lucky for the road to get plowed...and it only did get plowed because the local farmer was either bored or feeling generous with his tractor.

This was in anything from various FWD GM sedans, Dodge Ram Van, 1975 Chrysler Cordoba, and even my old AWD Talon with summer tires. That one was the worst because it was about 4 inches off the ground, but still, I never got stuck. You just gotta know how to do it, I guess.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justin455
This will be my 12th Indiana winter that I've driven and I've never gotten stuck anywhere in snow. Not even when I used to live out in the boonies where you were lucky for the road to get plowed...and it only did get plowed because the local farmer was either bored or feeling generous with his tractor.

This was in anything from various FWD GM sedans, Dodge Ram Van, 1975 Chrysler Cordoba, and even my old AWD Talon with summer tires. That one was the worst because it was about 4 inches off the ground, but still, I never got stuck. You just gotta know how to do it, I guess.
Guess it's different for everyone. But if you lived all 12 years of your winters in Indianapolis, it's a lot different from Minneapolis like the OP asked about, or northern Indiana where I lived. We get lake effect snow here, average 85 inches of snow per year, where central Indiana gets about half that, if memory serves me right.

Driving a RWD coupe through 3-6 inches of snow, and drifts close to 1 foot deep is not plausible...maybe doable with lots of struggling, but I would avoid it at all costs.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its gonna be close to impossible to drive your TA in the winter up here plus it will get full of salt and real freakin dirty... Best thing to do is store it and get a beater car until ur able to get something better.

I moved up from Texas 8 years ago thinking the same thing, im soo glad i listen and didnt try to drive the TA, i backed it out of my garage to move it and i couldnt get it back in it was so slick. I bought a 4 wheel drive truck for 8 grand till i got something better.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Driving a RWD coupe through 3-6 inches of snow, and drifts close to 1 foot deep is not plausible...maybe doable with lots of struggling, but I would avoid it at all costs.
Sounds like you never tried doing this with skinny Blizzaks and some extra weight in the trunk. Chicago can get hit just as bad as northern IN; single storms as heavy as 25" in recent years and lots of lake effect as well. 3-6" of fresh snow is no problem for an F-body with an experienced driver and the proper tire/weight setup. I actually wouldn't even call 3" a challenge at all with the setup I was driving on. Once the snow gets packed down from heavy traffic and no plowing it gets a bit tougher, but still doable.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdoostil
I just got an awesome promotion, and will be relocation from florida to st paul, minn, and taking the TA with me. Give me some tips on driving! Also, I will most likely drive up there and pull a small trailer. Is a hitch going to require pro installation. Thank guys!
I've lived in Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska all of which get decent amounts of snow, maybe not to the level of Minn but we get a decent amount. The first thing as others have mentioned get decent tires, take your foot off the gas and I've noticed second gear starts really help too. A sandbang or two in the trunk helps as well. I noticed when I had people riding in the back it would move easier. First and foremost however don't get stuck going on a steep hill. If it's snowing out plan your route according and if you can work from home DO IT!

At the end of the day however you need to realize that it is a sports car, RWD, has a ton of torque to boot and that you have maybe 5 inches of clearence on that car. At a certain point you arnet' going to be able to drive it anymore in the snow nor is it safe to do so outside of doing donuts in your local walmart parking lot *I've never done that of course*

Just my 2cents
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess it's different for everyone. But if you lived all 12 years of your winters in Indianapolis, it's a lot different from Minneapolis like the OP asked about, or northern Indiana where I lived. We get lake effect snow here, average 85 inches of snow per year, where central Indiana gets about half that, if memory serves me right.
Originally Posted by justin455
Not even when I used to live out in the boonies where you were lucky for the road to get plowed...and it only did get plowed because the local farmer was either bored or feeling generous with his tractor.
Nope.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my advice:

3 M bra for the front to protect the paint.

Get your car undercoated/rust proofed.

Use winter floor mats.

Wash it every one to two weeks max. Spray out those wheel wells and underneath.

Start in second gear if you need to.

Studded 225's and a 6 speed here and I haven't had any close calls.
Attached Thumbnails prep me for driving in the snow-snow_tire.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by calgary_z28
Here's my advice:

3 M bra for the front to protect the paint.

Get your car undercoated/rust proofed.

Use winter floor mats.

Wash it every one to two weeks max. Spray out those wheel wells and underneath.

Start in second gear if you need to.

Studded 225's and a 6 speed here and I haven't had any close calls.
u studded ur tires?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
u studded ur tires?
He's in Canada. In some areas you have to have studded tires there.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Something else to consider when it comes to winter beaters: some insurance companies may offer a discount for putting your vehicle into storage. I've got USAA and have kept my Camaro in storage while I work on it. When it's time to drive her again, I'll go to their website and remove it from storage.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

A cheap 96+ Ford Exploder. I picked up a 2002 even though i got used to 16 years of driving in NJ snow which was inly bad some winters. Having a suv also makes it easier to haul parts!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Bonneville for winter duty. I drove an F-bod through two OH winters. With good tires, it's damn good in the snow and pretty fun too.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by why87
I have a Bonneville for winter duty. I drove an F-bod through two OH winters. With good tires, it's damn good in the snow and pretty fun too.

Should also mention if you've never driven in the snow before to go into an empty parking lot somewhere and do a crap ton of donuts. Not only because it's insanely fun but because it's a good place to get a good idea on how your car handles in snowy situations. Ever heard the term 'feel your car'... that's essentially what you are doing. Learning how much you can 'push the limit' when taking a corner based on how fast your going. Or finding the best way to stop when the road is covered with snow, etc etc etc.

When I was 16 the first time it blizzarded it *we lived in the outskirts of town* my dad told me "Son go outside drive around the the next couple hours." I asked him why and he told me "that's the only way your going to learn how to drive when you need to know how to drive" and that still sticks with me.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmMan
Should also mention if you've never driven in the snow before to go into an empty parking lot somewhere and do a crap ton of donuts. Not only because it's insanely fun but because it's a good place to get a good idea on how your car handles in snowy situations. Ever heard the term 'feel your car'... that's essentially what you are doing. Learning how much you can 'push the limit' when taking a corner based on how fast your going. Or finding the best way to stop when the road is covered with snow, etc etc etc.

When I was 16 the first time it blizzarded it *we lived in the outskirts of town* my dad told me "Son go outside drive around the the next couple hours." I asked him why and he told me "that's the only way your going to learn how to drive when you need to know how to drive" and that still sticks with me.
Just make sure the parking lot doesn't have "islands" in it. My buddy was doing this with his mustang and went right over one when I was in the car. With the snow and light conditions you couldn't even see that they were there.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drive an 87 Camaro V8 auto in the snow. Snow tires, snow tires, and it also helps to have SNOW TIRES. I dont even have any weight out back. Just the tires. Firestone Winterforce on all four corners and its basically unstoppable. A little wheel spin on and uphill but thats about it.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Why would you guys say that driving his ls1 in the winter is a good idea, especially for someone that has never driven in snow for that matter? OP, store your car through the winter, pick up a cheap cavalier, civic, or whatever and save yourself some headaches.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by LSTransAm11
Why would you guys say that driving his ls1 in the winter is a good idea
It's a perfectly fine idea with the proper tires, if he doesn't want to buy a second car and isn't worried about deterioration of the F-body (some people don't plan to keep these cars forever and just don't care about this).

I can't understand why some people seem to think this is such an impossibile thing to do. Several of us have done this with the proper tires, and it's not at all impossibile and rarely even difficult.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*Forgot to mention: but make sure to keep a good 2-3 coats of quality wax on the paint and re-apply every couple of months. And be very , very careful when drying your car off after washing it in the winter. You can do more harm then good with remaining grit swirling the paint

I also installed a diesel truck oil pad heater. Works great for those of us who park outside. These cars don't like to start below zero even with synthetic..at least mine doesn't! Literally dies unless I hold the gas at 2 K rpm for ~2 minutes after starting w/o plugging in!!
Attached Thumbnails prep me for driving in the snow-snow_front.jpg   prep me for driving in the snow-snow_back.jpg  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Im not saying it is impossible because if I absolutely had to I am sure it could be done but by the time you buy $200 rims and $500 worth of tires, he could add 500-700 and be better off putting that money towards a cheap beater with good tires that will do better in the snow than an f-body can. He will also be preserving his fbody and not have to worry about somebody hitting him during the winter. Either way, good luck OP... you're gonna need it for these MN winters.

Quick Reply: prep me for driving in the snow