General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 Tech, Sierra Speed Shop needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

widebody kit.. nobody that i know sell them.
Theres a few DIY threads.. but nothing mass produced.

Wheel widening.. or reducing for stock wheels for core exchanges.

Also look into specializing in cts-v suspension. I have a friend with a 383 ctsv (first gen) and he's in desperate need for some better than stock suspension.

pre-powder coated brake calipers with core exchange service

y pipes pre made with flowmaster y merge (3">4" reduced to 3")
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The TDs is a great idea. TSP's arent for me and while I want Kooks to match my headers, their damn expensive.

"pre-powder coated brake calipers with core exchange service" This is a really good idea. The main sponsor who use to do this is MIA to my knowledge and Im not aware of any local places near me.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yonerhottlt1
Those duals will sell like hotcakes if the price is reasonable. Good luck with the business Kyle
Thanks man!

I am anxious to get a 4th gen and take a peek at it. Luckily I know where to find one. I'm looking forward to working on this project next week.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
widebody kit.. nobody that i know sell them.
Theres a few DIY threads.. but nothing mass produced.

Wheel widening.. or reducing for stock wheels for core exchanges.

Also look into specializing in cts-v suspension. I have a friend with a 383 ctsv (first gen) and he's in desperate need for some better than stock suspension.

pre-powder coated brake calipers with core exchange service

y pipes pre made with flowmaster y merge (3">4" reduced to 3")
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the body panels and parts are something we do not specialize in.

As for the suspension parts, if I see enough of a demand for CTS-V suspension, we can work on developing a set. Suspension is one of the most time consuming items to develop, but we are not opposed to it.

Powder Coating is something we can get into. Had no idea a good powder coating service was no longer provided here on the forum.

The y-pipe, well I'm not sure how many of those we could sell. I think we will focus on the x-pipe first.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sierra Speed Shop
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the body panels and parts are something we do not specialize in.

As for the suspension parts, if I see enough of a demand for CTS-V suspension, we can work on developing a set. Suspension is one of the most time consuming items to develop, but we are not opposed to it.

Powder Coating is something we can get into. Had no idea a good powder coating service was no longer provided here on the forum.

The y-pipe, well I'm not sure how many of those we could sell. I think we will focus on the x-pipe first.

Thanks
Kyle
There is demand for cts-v suspension, the only reason why the cts-v is overlooked as a viable drag strip queen is the lack of suspension. They have a weak rear, and have a very bad problem with wheel hop. BMR makes a 'anti wheep hop kit' but its proven to be useless across the spectrum.

Ideas can be borrowed from the fifth gen suspension upgrades and be transferred to fit the ctsv ls6/2 cars.

As far as the y pipe is concerned, 90% of the y pipes out there are half assed trash. They have this improper transition from the headers to the i pipe and robs horsepower and creates a very raspy annoying sound. This has been proven time and time again.

Here is a perfect example of a budget half *** aftermarket y-pipe:

vs a proven y pipe setup

source: ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/732392-recipe-500-rwhp-heads-cam.html post#9

There will be a market for this y pipe. If you make this style of y-pipe, you will have the best y pipe hands down. Don't take my word for it, TSP and QTP have already made high velocity mergers for all of their y pipe setups. The difference here being, is the 3">4" merge to a 3" reducer, where as they just use 3" throughout the entire y-pipe. Now with this setup, the customer has the option to place a cutout in that intermediate 4" pipe if they so choose, or leave it be to run a factory style or any existing aftermarket exhaust catback the customer owns as a direct swap.

The problem with x-pipes, is the clearance issue. Ground clearance, aftermarket torque arms, and added weight (hence why everyone is telling you aluminum vs stainless steel) If the customer has a budget in mind, and cant afford an entire header to exhaust tip exhaust, the y pipe is perfect alternative. The kooks true duals exhaust is 1000$ for a reason.

Another idea, if you ever get around to it: Long tube headers
How to improve on long tube header design? Add an extra hole(s) for wide bands, and turnable exhaust outlets. Widebands are pretty much essential with the power our ls1's are making today, and it saves the customer a trip to a muffler shop (some live in areas where there are no exhaust shops) and the extra cost to have him drill a hole for a wide band. .. Hell make it a combo deal with a aem wide band.. Nobody that i know of does this.. 2nd, why have turnable outlets? clearance. I know a few truck guys that had to cut and rotate their header outlets (calspeed to be exact) because the 02 sensor couldnt fit (it was hitting the frame).. or something unknown, better peace of mind and something to consider.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

LeanPocket

Thanks for the very detailed and informative post. In the future, we may develop an entire exhaust line as we have the equipment and skill set to do so. We have to start some where first. I'm thinking after the dust settles here, we will have a car next week to play with. We'll be able to get a better idea of what's involved with the project.

I can't wait to start developing and doing some R&D to make the best Y-Pipe available.

Thanks!
Kyle
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Teching In

I'm also interested in True Duals. That would be awesome.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

This is likely my final response before the holidays. I may bump it from home day to day to make sure we dont miss any potential great ideas.

Thanks again LS1tech! you have been very helpful!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Another vote for a bolt in ford 8.8 or chevy 8.5 at a fair price for the street crowd
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Good morning LS1tech! We hope every-one had a wonderful holiday, we are open again for a short week, (Wed-Fri), and then closed again to observe the new year, and will be back Jan 2nd!

We are going to start research and planning this week with the items listed here and some ideas we got from Corvette Forum as well. I will be sure to keep every-one posted with a realistic product and then time frame of manufacture!

Thanks again for all the input!
-Kyle
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll go for thirds on an 8.8/8.5 rear end that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As far as a Hi-Ram style intake that fits under stock cowl... You'd be backorded if you made one. Our only option right now is a custom sheetmetal manifold.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

There is a ton of work in a fab 8.8,8.5. We can understand the cost of building that, and it would be hard to compete price wise.

An affordable hi-ram intake may be an option for us, we will look further into it.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's another idea, radically different ram air system

Obviously instead of dryer hose, you can mandrel bend some nice stainless pieces, make a block off plate for the lid, and viola.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I'll go for thirds on an 8.8/8.5 rear end that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

As far as a Hi-Ram style intake that fits under stock cowl... You'd be backorded if you made one. Our only option right now is a custom sheetmetal manifold.
these are great ideas
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

LeanPocket,

Thanks for all the great ideas. One thing I did notice is the huge market of Corvette air intake systems, but the lack of it for f-body's besides the SLP lid, and the K&N. I think I may have a better design idea that still utilizes a "Ram Air" type of induction system. The kit shown would have a very complicated installation procedure, where I think we can develop something much easier for the common user.

Next week we will form a poll. The top three products we know we can manufacture will be selected, and then formed into a poll so the community can vote for the product they want the most. We will start development on the product shortly after the poll, and most likely make a product build thread to have the community follow our R&D process!

Thanks again LS1tech!
Kyle
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

I know this probably seems not in your line of work but how about a lit rear panel (possibly LED?) between the tail lights on a firebird/trans am? You could also do the front license plate and the berger panel on the camaro.

There was a guy on here that made them for a little while but hardly made any and there was always a million people asking/waiting for them.

I think there would be huge money if you could get into making these at a fair price. PM me and let me know what you think because I'll probably forget about this thread.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jlindahl2571
I know this probably seems not in your line of work but how about a lit rear panel (possibly LED?) between the tail lights on a firebird/trans am? You could also do the front license plate and the berger panel on the camaro.

There was a guy on here that made them for a little while but hardly made any and there was always a million people asking/waiting for them.

I think there would be huge money if you could get into making these at a fair price. PM me and let me know what you think because I'll probably forget about this thread.
LED is not our specialty, that is for sure. I personally have some very minor experience in the electrical field, specifically automotive, but I do not have the facilities to manufacture such item.

I am making a late night bump just to remind people that will resume normal operating hours starting tomorrow. Its been a great vacation, but its time to work!

Thanks
-Kyle
Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure if this was mention... but can you guys make something that can compete with the FAST intakes and TB?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SEE? EVERYONE wants a new intake manifold. GIVE US A HIGH RAM THAT FITS UNDER THE COWL!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

FAST could use some competition..

Quick Reply: LS1 Tech, Sierra Speed Shop needs your help!