General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

need help ws6 or z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

depends what you want the car for, if you plan to do alot of drag racing get the ws-6 but if you like cornering and a more sporty feel and top end speeds get the vette. a vette can also be good at the track but the rear end is limited on how much it can take launching from a stand still.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree that there VERY diff

but to stay t-tops or back seats has anything todo with it is way off

why would someone pick leaking flying off t-tops over a zo6?
why would someone pick a back seat in a fbody which is lets be honest useless bc of the size and leg room over a zo6?

i hope whoever is looking at both these cars have other things in mind to compare other then ttops and back seats lol

just my .02 tho
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
It is that simple. The T-tops are a bastardized solution at best, so if you want a removable roof or don't like the FRC, just buy a C5.

Insofar as drag-racing, it will (as always) come down to how quick/fast you want you want to go and how much you want to spend. You are starting with a vehicle in the C5Z that is a full second quicker and traps 10mph faster from the jump.
The problem here is that you're using two different cars to compare to the single F-body. While a Z06 might be a full second quicker and 10mph faster than an F-body, this is not the case for a base C5. Then you have the roof aspect, which is a separate dynamic that the Z06 doesn't even offer as an option. So at that point, the comparasion would be C5 vs. F-body, which leaves a much narrower performance difference.

And none of that can discount the fact that the soild axle platform is and always will be superior for purpose built drag racing, as well as the lower purchase price of the F-body which allows for a faster and quicker car, dollar for dollar, than the Z06.

So again, while the decision might be "simple" based on the needs and preferences of a specific individual, there really isn't any blanket statement that can be made since these cars have some fundemental differences.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
i agree that there VERY diff

but to stay t-tops or back seats has anything todo with it is way off

why would someone pick leaking flying off t-tops over a zo6?
why would someone pick a back seat in a fbody which is lets be honest useless bc of the size and leg room over a zo6?

i hope whoever is looking at both these cars have other things in mind to compare other then ttops and back seats lol

just my .02 tho
So in other words, since YOU don't care about those aspects, you think that nobody else should either?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
So in other words, since YOU don't care about those aspects, you think that nobody else should either?
who said i dont care?

i have a ttops with back seat t/a

but to say these are the factors between the 2 is stupid, im sure noone looks at a fbody and says "oh theres a car i have alot of room in to fit people and such" bc we all know no one has ever sold there fbody to buy something bigger
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ws6 looks meaner
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 looks dated.. C7 is only weeks out. Ws6 is end of an era with very unique look.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on your budget. Also Z06 parts will be more expensive than the WS6 just because it's a Corvette.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
but to say these are the factors between the 2 is stupid
The only thing that is stupid is to assume that everyone puts the same level of importance on the same items. Whatever your reasons are for preferring the things that you prefer, might in fact seem stupid to someone else. I know that looking at these things objectively is hard, but you can't assume that everyone feels like you do.

Believe it or not, there are several members here that, over the years, have specifically stated that they chose the F-body over the C5/C5Z because they needed the back seat. Yes, it is small but the extra cargo space with the seats down is another factor to consider, if you need that room. So this consideration certainly wasn't stupid to them.

And t-tops/removable roof is something that is very important to some people, for a weekend cruiser or even daily driver. I know several people that won't even consider a toy/weekend car without some sort of removable roof. This would rule out a Z06 entirely, then making a separate debate between a C5 or an F-body.

Again, these things ARE factors to some people, and to call that stupid is just an ignorant statement that is lacking objectivity.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to agree with RPMWS6- These two vehicle are not even in the same stratosphere. For those stating the obvious that the Z06 handles better and is all around a "better car" - No ****- General Motors never intended the WS6/SS Camaro to corner carve such as they did with the Z06.

You need to ask *yourself* what you plan on doing with the car, and what you want the car to do for you. Do you think it will be a street car you cruise around in on the weekends, or will she be a dedicated track/road course car? Such questions will and should narrow down your choice relatively quick.

I will tell you one thing tho my friend: no matter the age, gender, or background of the human being- the WS6 will get much more attention. I have to glare real hard at the C5 to see if it's a Z06 or a FRC car.....
Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
I am going to agree with RPMWS6- These two vehicle are not even in the same stratosphere. For those stating the obvious that the Z06 handles better and is all around a "better car" - No ****- General Motors never intended the WS6/SS Camaro to corner carve such as they did with the Z06.

You need to ask *yourself* what you plan on doing with the car, and what you want the car to do for you. Do you think it will be a street car you cruise around in on the weekends, or will she be a dedicated track/road course car? Such questions will and should narrow down your choice relatively quick.

I will tell you one thing tho my friend: no matter the age, gender, or background of the human being- the WS6 will get much more attention. I have to glare real hard at the C5 to see if it's a Z06 or a FRC car.....
agreed
Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Blackbird-WS6, thread has been cleaned up, and useless banter removed. Keep it that way. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP- judging by your sig you already have an fbody, any reason why you want anther? i understand your looking for a t/a this go around but maybe something diff would be nice to have as well to break it up some

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Trans Am and call it a day!! They will *never* make another Trans Am again, and *noone* will ever make a car that looks like the Trans Am in terms of its exotic curves.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Let's talk interior! Never seen a C5 z06 interior, BUT I have a 2000 T/A and interior is terrible!!! Serious panel gaps and such and the seats, YUCK.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Let's talk interior! Never seen a C5 z06 interior, BUT I have a 2000 T/A and interior is terrible!!! Serious panel gaps and such and the seats, YUCK.
The seats?! The seats in your T/A will outlast that paper thin leather on the the Corvette by about triple amount! Notice how thick the leather is on the T/A relative to the Vette, and some other GM's for that matter.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not sure what you spent that ton of money on exactly, but a 120k mile base C5 with original suspension would not be walking circles around a 4th gen with properly matched, high quality aftermarket parts. You might like the "feel" of the C5 better, but would likely be surprised at what a properly setup 4th gen can do in an actual competition.
Strano springs, Koni SA's, Strano front swaybar, SLP/1LE rear swaybar, 3pt SFCs, rod-end LCAs/PHB.

I suppose on the track it may have done better, but the C5 with Bilstein sports and lowered an inch or so just felt so much better. I suppose I have to say quick transitions weren't as firm in the C5, but a set of C6 Z51 swaybars would have definitely fixed that issue.

Originally Posted by Striker
The seats?! The seats in your T/A will outlast that paper thin leather on the the Corvette by about triple amount! Notice how thick the leather is on the T/A relative to the Vette, and some other GM's for that matter.
While I agree with you on the leather lasting, the "sport" option seats in the C5's are heads and shoulders above any F-body seat IMO. Interior look is far above that of a T/A (I happen to absolutely hate the interior in my wife's T/A .. prefer the interior of my old Z28). The door panels are known for wrinkling in C5's as well, and it looks fairly ugly.

While some say the backseat in the T/A is useless and shouldn't be a consideration ... I had to get rid of the C5 because it couldn't haul our daughter around. If I'd still had my Z28 instead of the C5, I'd have kept it.

I still stand by my statement earlier. IMO, the only two advantages the F-body has is the solid rear (and this really only matters for drag racing, and you can still make a C5 launch very well) and the backseat (this may or may not matter to you as well). Other than those, the C5 is better in just about every other way.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Get a built C5 base if you want power can get them for same price as C5 Z06.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
If you're buying a low end sports car like a WS6 or even a Vette for their interior quality or even care about it in the first place, you're doing it wrong.

RPM pretty much hit everything right on the head. I personally would never buy a Z06 because of the fixed roof. Hell, I sold my G8 after two years of ownership with a small part of the reasoning being it didn't even have a sunroof (the payment and terrible mileage were the main driving factors though lol). Some part of me NEEDS an open air car for the summer. I wouldn't even buy something like a GN or Monte SS if it didn't have t-tops. Also, as much as I'd love a C5, I just can't do it right now because I have a child and the car would be relegated to nothing but my work commute and MAYBE an oddball drive around town every now and then.

I definitely found this to be a weird topic because as others have said, they're two completely different cars outside of having 4 wheels and an LS motor.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Pick the one with the LS Corvette motor in it. I heard they are fasttttttt!

Quick Reply: need help ws6 or z06