General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

zinc additive in my oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zinc additive in my oil

was wondering if if would be any benfit to run an zinc additive in with my mobil 1 synthetic oil , some more protection from part wear would be great.

what ur thoughts on this subject guys???

thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I use a special high zinc content oil (Valvoline VR1) in my old flat tappet SBC, but not for my modern roller cammed engines. Having said that, more ZDDP isn't going to hurt, and there are some people that feel even roller cams need this if they have very aggressive profiles.

Lots of opinions about this and other oil topics. The best you can do is research for yourself and do what feels right.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I agree with RPM WS6 on this completely. I also use the zinc additive (Eastwood) in my '87 SS which has the flat tappet cam in the 305 V8. I do NOT use it in my modern machines. In 17 years of F-body ownership I have been fine without it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

According to my research the higher ZDDP content is something needed to make flat tappet cams happier but not for roller cams. There is some info out there that turbos might need the extra ZDDP though FYI.

Im my car (roller cam) I use M1 0W40 which has a higher zinc content than most regular off the shelf oils. Not sure its needed but I dont think it can hurt.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
According to my research the higher ZDDP content is something needed to make flat tappet cams happier but not for roller cams. There is some info out there that turbos might need the extra ZDDP though FYI.

Im my car (roller cam) I use M1 0W40 which has a higher zinc content than most regular off the shelf oils. Not sure its needed but I dont think it can hurt.

The Zinc/Phosphorus (ZDDP) content is important in flat tappet applications because it creates a protective film/sacrificial surface that prevents the cam lobes from being prematurely worn down by friction. This is even more important in flat tappet engines that have agressive aftermarket cams and/or are not yet fully broken in.

In a roller application, the amount of friction between lifters and cam lobes is greatly reduced as compared to a flat tappet application, and thus ZDDP content is not nearly as critical....though a higher zinc content oil certainly wouldn't be harmful either.

I also use M1 0W40 in my LS1 applications. I've heard that as a "European Formula", it does have higher zinc content than most other off-the-shelf modern oils....but I'm not sure that it has enough to fully protect a flat tappet application without the aid of an additive. For flat tappet engines, you really need to use a special high ZDDP content oil, or use an additive like NC01TA mentioned above.

The reason for ZDDP reduction in most modern oils was due to concerns over ZDDPs role in reducing effectiveness/poisoning of cat converters. The side-effect of this reduction is that most modern oils are not as good at protecting old flat tappet engines as previous formulations were; thus additives or specialty oils are needed for best results in those applications.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

The Zinc/Phosphorus (ZDDP) content is important in flat tappet applications because it creates a protective film/sacrificial surface that prevents the cam lobes from being prematurely worn down by friction. This is even more important in flat tappet engines that have agressive aftermarket cams and/or are not yet fully broken in.

In a roller application, the amount of friction between lifters and cam lobes is greatly reduced as compared to a flat tappet application, and thus ZDDP content is not nearly as critical....though a higher zinc content oil certainly wouldn't be harmful either.

I also use M1 0W40 in my LS1 applications. I've heard that as a "European Formula", it does have higher zinc content than most other off-the-shelf modern oils....but I'm not sure that it has enough to fully protect a flat tappet application without the aid of an additive. For flat tappet engines, you really need to use a special high ZDDP content oil, or use an additive like NC01TA mentioned above.

The reason for ZDDP reduction in most modern oils was due to concerns over ZDDPs role in reducing effectiveness/poisoning of cat converters. The side-effect of this reduction is that most modern oils are not as good at protecting old flat tappet engines as previous formulations were; thus additives or specialty oils are needed for best results in those applications.
Yup, this sums everything up pretty well.

Quick Reply: zinc additive in my oil