General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shipping a camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping a camaro?

Anyone have experince shipping a camaro, if so which company? I live in Illinois and found a camaro in NC, which is a 9 hour drive. I am needing it shipped I dont have the time to make the trek out there. Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are alot of auto transport companys, just do a search.

One thing you want to make sure of is that you are dealing with a trucking company NOT a broker. Brokers do nothing but book shipments and then find the lowest bidder trucking company. If you have a problem everyone points the fingeer at someone else.

If you booke directly with the trucking company ask for a copy of thier insurance and verify it is still in effect. Some companys will let thier insurance lapse.

Referals are not that reliable because they could be ringers.

Askthe shipper to take pictures of the car prior to being loaded and as it is being loaded. This will provive you documentation if there is any damage. This is important because the truck that picks up your car might not be the one that delivers it.

Check with your insurance company about if they will cover the car while it being transported. Some will some won't. This is just so you know.

Good luck
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I had my Camaro shipped from Illinois to PA by Rite Way Auto Transport. Cost me $665 and only took like 3 days to get here.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Teching In

I have found a couple decent auto transportation company's over the last few days. But didn't know if any tech guys had shipped a car, or knew any secrets about shipping company's.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure you read everything you can about the company before signing anything or before coming to a agreement.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Against my advice my car collector neighbor buys cars frequently using transport companies. The horror stories you hear about are very real and valid, from the drivers taking 'test drives' in the car while overnight, to open transports going through horrible storms with resulting damage, never mind the assorted fluid leaks from cars above 'yours' on those open carriers. You get what you pay for and it isn't cheap. Scheduling is also a major complaint. "Oh yeah, we'll be there Thursday". The company doesn't say which Thursday! If you still can't find the time to go get your car yourself (which you really should to inspect it), my neighbor has had excellent results with Horseless Carriage and Plycon. Both are covered transports, not open. Recent cars shipped include a Triumph, Lincoln, and Mercedes. No damage and no issues.
As stated above, insurance is a must along with full documentation of the car's condition before it is ever placed on the carrier, especially the MILEAGE!! The cost should start at $1000+ for the distance you are talking about. There will plenty of 'lowballers' out there offering great service (and you might luck out and get it) but if you find a used condom in the car afterwards, you have been warned.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Have any friends that you could bribe into making the trip? 9 hours really isn't that bad assuming the car is drivable. Maybe a young couple who could use a little spending money? Pay them $500+ gas to go pick up the car and drive it back.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually shipped my BPM Trans Am through FedEx twice (once when I bought it, and again when I sold it). Most people don't realize that they ship cars. They took decent care of it and it was inside an enclosed trailer. Arrived clean and they didn't put a single mile on it from the time it left the dealer.

I would certainly use them again if I wanted to ship a car.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

go their n inspect the car, bought a car based off pix, was not as in pix!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Check out Exotic auto transport. They only ship enclosed and ship a lot of high end cars. I used them once and thy were great.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by high n dry
go their n inspect the car, bought a car based off pix, was not as in pix!!!
When I bought my WS6, I had someone I knew off a message board that lived in that area go look at it and take pictures for me. They test drove it and I bought it based on their recommendation.

I didn't see the car for the first time until they rolled it off the truck into my driveway.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I live in IL, I would be willing to get the car for you.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Teching In

I am needing a car trailered from WA to Illinois. Will pay cash.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

I was in this same boat, then I just found a camaro by me. It was much easier than shipping/driving
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I must have gotten lucky, but then again I bought a car that was only $1,000. Purchased on ebay from photos and a description.

Used a broker and the car was picked up out of state and delivered to my driveway for a little over $200. Well worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I have used reliable carriers to have the 69 camaro in my sig pic shipped from California to my drive way in illinois. I was in contact with the actual driver of the truck from before they picked it up till when they dropped it off. Very excellent customer service as well. wouldn't go with anyone else if i ever need a car shipped again. Hell they are the sponsored shipper for barrett-jackson so they have to be good!

Quick Reply: Shipping a camaro?