General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Firebird Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Advice?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a new car within the next few months and being a GM guy I want to stick with a GM product. I've always loved Firebirds and always wanted one so that's what I'm looking for. Anyways, I'm looking for something 1998 to 2002 and it has to have a V8. The 3.8L are great motors but I'm look for some HP. I do have a couple questions about the V8 in particular. I've only read of them coming in 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions, which I know is part of the fun, but do they have any that come with an automatic? My second question would be, about how much HP do you get with the 5.7 V8? Are the fairly easy to work on?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Teching In

most of the v8s i see on craigslist are automatic
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by kabalar
most of the v8s i see on craigslist are automatic
Awesome thanks. Would you know what the standard HP is on the V8? I'm just now starting to seriously look into these cars so I'm still researching all this stuff.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search, you will find more than enough info. But all ls1 (v8) fbodies come with either a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. They all have around 350hp at the crank, but theyre advertised between 300-320hp depending on which model car. 01-02 fbodies usually measure a bit more power, due to a ls6 intake. Some tasks are a PITA to do on these cars, but nothing impossible. Especially since just about everything youll need to know about thee cars, you can probably find in this forum.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

DevilDogNick, definitely learn as much as possible here on this site. If you are asking questions about horsepower, you have a lot of reading to do. Make sure an F-body is what you actually want.
Once you have made that decision, buy the best example you can in your price range. Many of these LS1 cars have been abused. Mods are fine if you like them but you better know about the owner and the car's history. You don't want to buy a 'money pit'. It would be an awful ownership experience. Best of luck!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
If you do a search, you will find more than enough info. But all ls1 (v8) fbodies come with either a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. They all have around 350hp at the crank

Ratings ranged from 305hp to 345hp depending on model year, trim level and SLP options (where available). The only examples that actually made slightly more power than their peers of the same model year were Firehawks and SSs with optional dual/dual exhaust (standard on Firehawk) and Blackwing air lids (2002). Z28/Formula/Trans Am/WS6/base SS all make exactly the same power and were all underrated from the factory.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zlow28
If you do a search, you will find more than enough info. But all ls1 (v8) fbodies come with either a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. They all have around 350hp at the crank, but theyre advertised between 300-320hp depending on which model car. 01-02 fbodies usually measure a bit more power, due to a ls6 intake. Some tasks are a PITA to do on these cars, but nothing impossible. Especially since just about everything youll need to know about thee cars, you can probably find in this forum.
Awesome thanks! I currently have a Lumina Z34 3.4L engine and I'm fairly certain its the hardest engine on the planet to work on so I guess anything would be a step up from that.

Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely will make sure I know how the car was treated before I buy one.

Quick Reply: Firebird Advice?