General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Soon To Buy An LS Car. What To Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon To Buy An LS Car. What To Choose?

Hi guys, i joined this forum seeking advice! I just recently got a new job, so now im ready to buy an LS car. My ultimate goal is to have a street legal car (whatever that may be) but be able to take it to a strip and run mid 10's.

So now my question is this, do i buy a GTO (LS2) and do full bolt ons and a super/turbo plus a little juice?

Or do i go the other route, which to me would seem cheaper. Buy a camaro, or a trans am, and do the same/similar things i would above but spend a lot less on the base of the car? Do i have my thoughts correct, or am i way off?

What's would you guys advise me to do, given that i like the way that all 3 vehicles look regardless. I just know i can pick up a 98-02 z28/ss for 4~6k where as i cant get a gto for less then 12k.

Let me know guys, realistically money wise, i have about 20k play money with a gradual increase of lets say, 2500$ every month after i pay stuff i have to off to play with.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right. If you have 20k to play with, then it doesnt really matter which car you go with because either way, you'll have plenty of money left over to help you reach your goals. If it were me, i'd go with the T/A or camaro. You'll have a lot more money left over to buy other things such as wheels, a rear, etc. Plus have money left over to save.

I'd highly recommend doing some more research though. Do you have any idea which idea you like better? A blower or a turbo? If your going to go FI, or Nitrous, thats going to dictate 90% of the parts you want to buy....
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me i'd go the Camaro/Trans Am route
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Will this be strictly a track car that you can take on the road or will you be using this on the streets quite a bit also (practicality)?

If all you want is raw speed, get a cheap ragged out camaro and start building it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM

No, I mentioned a street legal car, just for weekend cruises, and some fun nights. When ok the streets. Other then that it'll e a garage queen, although I would be driving it to the tracks... (I'm gonna have radials on the back all the time) I'd probably want to go with a turbo setup, but whatever later on becomes more reliable.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A turbo done right wont be cheap. Unless you really want go FI, id suggest getting a fbody, and do heads and cam. Start by reading what you're gonna need to complete your setup/goal.

For example, you might want to replace the rear axle. Theyre known to be the weakest link in fbodies. YOure looking around 2k for that. Then a cam only kit will be around 1k. Heads can range between 1.5 to over 2k. Suspension work, bolt ons will also add up, tranny/clutch upgrades etc...

In other words, its easy to do 10s on a fbody, but not cheap.

If i were you, id buy a clean lowish mile camaro, with decent bolt ons. Like exhaust, lid, maybe intake and wheels. Then talk to a vendor to set you up with a head/cam package that will suit your needs.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually it might be chaper to buy a used 02-04 vette. Cause with an LS1 ta or camaro your gonna need at least 500 hp to get the times u want plus your gonna need all supporting mods, a beefed up tranny and rear end. all this I just mentioned could be between $10-15,000
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Just remember this if you are not already aware. It's a cruel reality: When the time comes to sell your car (and it will happen one day), you will get little or NONE of your mod money back.
Even though you haven't bought your car yet, it is best to know upfront that once you have $25k invested, that $$ may be long gone.

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-18-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is find a nice WS6 hands down. I love my Z but my heart is truly with the WS6.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

All personal preference aside, looking at this logically, and with the information given in the first post, the GTO is the wrong choice here. Drag racing seems to be a primary goal, and the GTO is definitely not as well suited to this goal as an F-body (IRS vs solid axle). The GTO is also heavier, which causes it to need either weight reduction or more power to equal the same acceleration rates as an F-body with the same or even a little less power. GTO is also newer and more expensive. If you like all three cars equally, as implied in the first post, then you might as well go with the cheapest and lightest one.

Originally Posted by LetsRide
My opinion is find a nice WS6 hands down. I love my Z but my heart is truly with the WS6.
I sold my WS6 to get back into a Z28, and have never regretted it. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I say this not to be contrary, but because Camaros never get the love that Trans Ams do around here. I am one of those few that actually prefers Camaros. Both are great cars though, no doubt.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

The other thing to be aware of, and it is huge, is that replacement parts and modification pieces are MUCH more plentiful for f-bodies and much cheaper.

I would also argue that f-bodies don't have as many problems as are reported about GTO's, or at least that they're cheaper and easier to fix.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LetsRide
It doesn't make sense to get a ws6 if your planning on modding the car and you're looking for bang for the buck to begin with. The 2mm swaybar size increase, the basically non-functional hood, and 17" wheels don't help out much and ws6 cars typically cost 30-50% more than a comparable non-ws6 formula/trans am. Just my .02
Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Have you tried searching for a car that's already built to meet your goals or that's already close to it?
Like mentioned earlier, you'll never get your money back out of a project so why not find something that's 90% of what you want and be ahead of the game.
I'm sure there's a twin turbo/nitrous fed, 10 sec, street legal Camaro/Trans Am somewhere for sale.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Alright cool, so im probably just gonna end up buying a camaro then. What factors should i look at when buying one?

I live in Los Angeles California, so based on my location what would be a good price to pay for a z28/ss and what should i look for / expect?

I really appreciate all the feedback guys, and yeah i know all the money i dump into the car is money ill never get back. I'm okay with that so long as i start the car up and its shaking, and it stays in the family for a while. I know my little brother is going to be into cars (he's 13) and im trying to steer him towards muscle, the way my dad did with his older iroc back then. Man was that thing dirty! Unfortunately he let it go when i was 13 years old for 600$ in drugs lol. Oh well.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

buy a kia soul and avoid all the BS LOL
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonnieR93
Alright cool, so im probably just gonna end up buying a camaro then. What factors should i look at when buying one?

I live in Los Angeles California, so based on my location what would be a good price to pay for a z28/ss and what should i look for / expect?

I really appreciate all the feedback guys, and yeah i know all the money i dump into the car is money ill never get back. I'm okay with that so long as i start the car up and its shaking, and it stays in the family for a while. I know my little brother is going to be into cars (he's 13) and im trying to steer him towards muscle, the way my dad did with his older iroc back then. Man was that thing dirty! Unfortunately he let it go when i was 13 years old for 600$ in drugs lol. Oh well.
Theres plenty of competition in LA. Look for a z28 over a ss due to pricing. You can get a decent z28 for about 5k, while a SS will set you back a few thousand more only to have a nicer hood and spoiler. Performance will be nearly identical. As mentioned, look for something that has already been tastefully modded. Thatll give you a headstart and the price should not be ridiculously high. Just make sure the car has been properly maintained and taken care of. If not, things will get more expensive in the long run.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

I will sell you stock my 02 SS with 53k miles for 10k. Then for another 6k in upgrades you will be in the 10.50s using nitrous as a power adder. I will teach you how to tune it also. PM me if interested. Here is my for sale thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...itle-hand.html

Quick Reply: Soon To Buy An LS Car. What To Choose?