General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO vs F-body

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Granted, the F-body leather is only a small step above junk when it comes to durability as well, but F-body cloth has never let me down. Six digits of mileage on the cloth seats in my Camaro, and not a single spot is worn thin, ripped, nor showing signs of worn seams. I'm a big fan of cloth for automotive interiors, so that's another reason for my F-body preference.
Not so sure about the "small step above junk." My f-body leather has never let me down. Here's my drivers seat at 121k, daily driven, parked outside during the workday.
Attached Thumbnails GTO vs F-body-a4-interior-2.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take: I'd probably lean to the F-body because it will give you the most bang for buck and be the least expensive to repair with more bone yard and aftermarket support. There are a lot of body parts you can bum from a 93-97 F-body that will work on a 98-02.

Here's one more thing to add, if you're worried about the "rawness" of the F-body twins you might want to look at early C5s; I've seen several in the mid-teens. Same great powertrain but more refined than the F-bodies and way lighter than the GTOs, as well as a lot more potential. Aftermarket support is huge as well. I say this because #1 no dependents #2 GTO price range #3 despite the need to be mobile F-body doesn't exactly have a ton more luggage space #4 you might actually be surprised by the insurance rates of a similar year C5 vs. F-body #5 I think you're more likely to find a C5 that was babied rather than "rode hard and put away wet" vs. an F-body. Of course, the biggest con is the lack of a back seat but again the F-body's isn't exactly large by any means.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTOs look like Cavaliers, not a sexy looking car. Camaros are a much nicer looking car.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GTO's don't have T-Tops. Some of my best driving memories in my TA are across the country cruising with the tops down, in the summer.

Not to mention, the GTO just looks like an average sedan with a hopped up motor. The LS1 Trans AM is still so nice looking to me.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Teching In

My choice if I was single and no kids would be C6 > C5 Z06 > TA > CTS-V (gen 1) > GTO

I do not care for the regular C5 look, but its a great platform. I would also place the G8 way up there, but only the GTX had a manual and they are super expensive. (no autos for me)

I have a wife and kids so I chose the lightest 4 seater as my toy.

I purchased the all stock 72k T/A in Illinois and drove it back to South Florida. I did not mind the ride at all. Now the car has koni 4/4 with BMR springs, adjustable Panhard Rod, and soon to have Strano Sway bars. I don't mind a firm ride and the shocks/springs made a huge difference in how the car drives/feels.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reliability is better with the f-body. That's not to say the GTO will be mechanically troublesome; rather, it's the stuff surrounding the drivetrain that is finicky (and becoming increasingly more difficult to find replacements for - supposedly).
Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Not so sure about the "small step above junk." My f-body leather has never let me down.
That was not my experience at all. At 4 years old/10,000 miles, the top of the rear seats on my Trans Am was already shrinking from sunlight exposure. And that was with regular application of leather protectant since they had 3 miles on them. You could see how the vinyl center section stayed at the stock level, and the leather sections on either side had begun to dry and sink down.

I've had zero issues of any kind with the cloth though.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That was not my experience at all. At 4 years old/10,000 miles, the top of the rear seats on my Trans Am was already shrinking from sunlight exposure. And that was with regular application of leather protectant since they had 3 miles on them. You could see how the vinyl center section stayed at the stock level, and the leather sections on either side had begun to dry and sink down. I've had zero issues of any kind with the cloth though.
The leather sections of the rear seatback are lower on my car as well, but they've been that way since I bought it 10 years ago and I've never thought anything of it. The leather itself isn't dry, cracked, or anything like that. I apply leather conditioner 5-6 times a year.

No question the cloth is super-durable. What I don't like about it is it's super-grippy (on Firebirds at least). It sticks to you, and makes it hard to shift your body weight around. For this reason, I find it really hot on warm days, whereas the leather, although initially hotter, adapts more quickly to my body temp. (I realize that may seem crazy to some folks).
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

The leather sections of the rear seatback are lower on my car as well, but they've been that way since I bought it 10 years ago and I've never thought anything of it. The leather itself isn't dry, cracked, or anything like that. I apply leather conditioner 5-6 times a year.

No question the cloth is super-durable. What I don't like about it is it's super-grippy (on Firebirds at least). It sticks to you, and makes it hard to shift your body weight around. For this reason, I find it really hot on warm days, whereas the leather, although initially hotter, adapts more quickly to my body temp. (I realize that may seem crazy to some folks).
The shrinking/sinking didn't take long to appear. I bought mine brand new and the seat back top was a perfectly even height from end to end at that time. Right around 4 years old I noticed that it was sinking on the leather sections. It had always been a garage queen other than nice weekends. I guess those nice sunny weekends were all the exposure it needed to develop, even with the regular application of leather protectant. I imagine it would have started within the first year if the car had sat outside all the time.

For the cost of the leather option (I seem to recall it being $500-600 for cars that didn't receive it standard), I feel that this issue should not have happened so early on. The leather rear seat tops on my daily driver '96 Bonneville didn't start to show any sinking/shrinking until the car was nearly 10 years old, and it sat outside every day, with a rear window design that exposed the seat tops just like an F-body. I was expecting similar UV resistance from the Trans Am leather, but did not receive it.

I'm surprised that you find the leather to be more comfortable on hot days. I've always felt the opposite about this, which is another reason I generally prefer cloth for daily drivers especially. But that's really just a peference issue either way. The leather does look nice, I've just never personally been happy with it for pratical application.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, my old Camaro had the cloth and at the time I thought it was great but I like the leather in my SOM much better in every way.

I'd get an F-Body if I were you OP. I'm not even going to get into the technicalities and what not, simply put, GTO's are great cars, but not as raw or striking as the F-Body. Because you're a young guy like me, I think those traits would just mean the car would end up being more fun for you unless you like being low key or having something more refined.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 AM
On The Tree

I was just in this position literally days ago, looking at an 04 GTO and 02 Camaro SS with almost the same amount of miles and similar in price range (although I'm a little older). Also I previously had a 99 Z28 so I know what they are like.

The determining factor in my choosing another camaro was, as has been touched on above, that GTO parts (mainly body panels and interior), are already very hard to find and expensive. I read that GTO rear quarter windows are like $700 if you can find them. Remember that while most people think the GTOs are domestic, they are really Australian. Other complaints were the easy unraveling of the seat stitching (and I'm in FL...) as well as having to dump $1,000 in the suspension even on a low mile car to make it ride correctly.

My 99 was an excellent car, this new one may not be as good, but an F-Body has the potential to be just as good if not better than a GTO with a lower price tag and superior appearance styling.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Never owned a GTO (have a friend with one though) but as nice as they are I would never swap my WS6 for one. Ride in a F-Body with the tops off and it will make your choice easy. The seats are great, I take some long trips with no issues. My only complaint is that damn #8 plug, but I have done it enough now that even that is no big deal any more. The GTO looks too much like my Grand Prix...
Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

F body. Feel like I'd mimic what others have said.
You're a young guy like most here. You're wanting one to have fun. Which both can do.
But at the end of the day in my opinion, the gto looks like a two door family car. I can beat looks are on the top of your list too.
Insurance isn't too bad. Then again for full coverage look for about 200 a month. Idk if that's expensive to you or not. But for your age range, that's typical.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In a really big nutshell...the GTO if it was more of an every day driver, but definitly an f-body if it's a weekend/summer toy type of thing
Old 09-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Teching In

F-body would be funner and easier to find parts for.....and cheaper
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Both have pluses and minuses. F-body will generally be faster with the same given power, got is generally a better ride on the long trips. I have a camaro buddy a gto, both are great cars.

Quick Reply: GTO vs F-body