General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbag saved my life in the 97 Grand Prix that got wrecked, so I would rather have it than not. I ride a motorcycle too but have never been in an accident, where as I've been in quite a few serious car accidents. In a car it's the 2nd impact that causes internal organ damage, the one where your body smashes into the steering wheel, so having an airbag is a lifesaver in most cases.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

though i never wear my seat belt im going with id rather have an air bag than a smaller steering wheel.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly wish I could mount the 2010 SS wheel in our cars. We're driving an American Muscle car guys. Its gotta be big. If you wanted something smaller I think a nice jap car would have sufficed.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

its definitely huge, I believe there is a writeup on how to put the C6 3 spoke wheel into our cars with stock airbag. its some work but i think its worth it. I may upgrade my steering wheel eventually. I just like the simplicity of the 3 spoke and the smaller wheel.

whether its american muscle or not, if you have power steering you dont need a giant steering wheel
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's that write up for the C6 steering wheel:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...el-f-body.html
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Empatho
Im only 26 years old and I don't mind driving around without an airbag, the car without airbags cant be any more dangerous then my motorcycle.
good point, and I ride as well
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DemonicZ
I honestly wish I could mount the 2010 SS wheel in our cars. We're driving an American Muscle car guys. Its gotta be big. If you wanted something smaller I think a nice jap car would have sufficed.
an american muscle car in the 21st century, though, so a huge wheel is unnecessary
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sick_tight
its definitely huge, I believe there is a writeup on how to put the C6 3 spoke wheel into our cars with stock airbag. its some work but i think its worth it. I may upgrade my steering wheel eventually. I just like the simplicity of the 3 spoke and the smaller wheel.

whether its american muscle or not, if you have power steering you dont need a giant steering wheel
Originally Posted by Roarin_8

thanks guys, that is something I was looking for, if it's possible to get a vette wheel on our car, or any other smaller airbagged wheel
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

thanks roarin, exactly the thread i was thinking of. now i just need to figure out how to get that steering wheel in my vette since i also hate this one too.

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
thanks guys, that is something I was looking for, if it's possible to get a vette wheel on our car, or any other smaller airbagged wheel
no problem, i felt the same way. I like the look of the momo and other wheels but i dont know if im ready to dump the airbags yet. i dont use the vette but for a couple days out of the week, no DD by far. but still you dont know when that next accident is going to happen or whether youll need the airbag or not. id rather not have a face fully of steering wheel.

and the C6 vette/SS cobalt and whatever platform wheel looks awesome IMO and its pretty small, microscopic comared to the Fbody wheel.

if you plan to DD the car i would recommend keeping the airbag, and that wheel swap thread i believe keeps the stock airbag you just have to "repack" it sort of.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

thanks roarin, exactly the thread i was thinking of. now i just need to figure out how to get that steering wheel in my vette since i also hate this one too.

no problem, i felt the same way. I like the look of the momo and other wheels but i dont know if im ready to dump the airbags yet. i dont use the vette but for a couple days out of the week, no DD by far. but still you dont know when that next accident is going to happen or whether youll need the airbag or not. id rather not have a face fully of steering wheel.

and the C6 vette/SS cobalt and whatever platform wheel looks awesome IMO and its pretty small, microscopic comared to the Fbody wheel.

if you plan to DD the car i would recommend keeping the airbag, and that wheel swap thread i believe keeps the stock airbag you just have to "repack" it sort of.
and yes in that thread another member fixed the airbag to fit and "work" without the airbag light. Now as far as it working in an accident, that has yet to be seen.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

and yes in that thread another member fixed the airbag to fit and "work" without the airbag light. Now as far as it working in an accident, that has yet to be seen.
anybody willing to test this mod? no? haha
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Well if they have an airbag to burn, I'm sure it can be tripped electronically and see if it blows up outside of the vehicle...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Well if they have an airbag to burn, I'm sure it can be tripped electronically and see if it blows up outside of the vehicle...
the only thing i would be worried about is it deploying correctly in the steering wheel in a time of a crash. im sure you can get it to blow up just correctly is the question. maybe its delayed or doesnt unfold or inflate like it should. i guess i would be considered paranoid but you never know
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Launching!

the only thing i would be worried about is it deploying correctly in the steering wheel in a time of a crash. im sure you can get it to blow up just correctly is the question. maybe its delayed or doesnt unfold or inflate like it should. i guess i would be considered paranoid but you never know
valid points. no point in having a "functional" airbag if it's even slightly incorrectly calibrated. I think if I'm going to get another wheel, I'll stick to an aftermarket one, until I know for sure that a vette wheel or something else that is more expensive than a racing wheel due to having an airbag, works 100%.

Last edited by giosoccer20; 09-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,200 Posts

The worst accident I was ever in, I was driving a car that didn't even come with an air bag in the first place. I was wearing a seatbelt and was just fine. The car was destroyed, but hit in such a way that a steering wheel air bag would have done nothing to help me anyway.

Can you even count on an air bag to deploy correctly once they get to a certain age? I remember some early '90s cars having warnings about air bags needing to be "tested" after becoming 10 years old. Perhaps this was found to be unnecessary, maybe they last longer than the OEMs were expecting.

Not really a primary concern for me though, since I already drive around an ancient car with no air bags and lap-only belts.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The worst accident I was ever in, I was driving a car that didn't even come with an air bag in the first place. I was wearing a seatbelt and was just fine. The car was destroyed, but hit in such a way that a steering wheel air bag would have done nothing to help me anyway.

Can you even count on an air bag to deploy correctly once they get to a certain age? I remember some early '90s cars having warnings about air bags needing to be "tested" after becoming 10 years old. Perhaps this was found to be unnecessary, maybe they last longer than the OEMs were expecting.

Not really a primary concern for me though, since I already drive around an ancient car with no air bags and lap-only belts.
very true, crumple zones and seat belts are a big help with the modern car safety. i would consider not putting the airbag in because it make things worse. with delayed deployment or whatnot. i think the hassle and price of the OEM swap is more than just a decent aftermarket steering wheel and you can also get the QD
Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

C6 wheel looks ok but i wouldnt want vette emblem in my fbody so unless theres something else id pass.

i would however not pass on who was sampling the car in that writeup.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
C6 wheel looks ok but i wouldnt want vette emblem in my fbody so unless theres something else id pass.

The emblem for the vette is on the airbag, there are also pontiac and chevy bowtie versions.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

there was a website or group of people doing a whole bunch of different emblems for that steering wheel since it was universal for a lot of GM cars. like roarin said there were pontiac, chevy, and corvette emblems. ive seen SS emblems and whatnot so there are more otions. i like the stock look and simplicity of 3 spokes. but i am in no need of a new steering wheel so i havent looked into this lately
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

The emblem for the vette is on the airbag, there are also pontiac and chevy bowtie versions.

that looks much better.

Quick Reply: why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?