General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to sum it up, if a vette wheel wasn't a much bigger hassle than an aftermarket one, i'd def get it. For now, I have my eyes set on that red and black momo wheel I posted earlier.

Red and black will definitely go with my interior. The gauges are red and black, the console is obviously black, and the little red camaro badge is red, as I'm sure everyone knows. Also, my seats are dark gray (black), so I feel the wheel will look nice.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would much rather NOT have an airbag. i have a kirkey and harness, the airbag probably wouldn't even touch my face if i wrecked it.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by formula218
i would much rather NOT have an airbag. i have a kirkey and harness, the airbag probably wouldn't even touch my face if i wrecked it.
I actually would totally love having a harness, even for a daily driver. talk about feeling safe!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
I actually would totally love having a harness, even for a daily driver. talk about feeling safe!
i have 4 points in my dd... and a 6 point roll bar... and i never wear the shoulder belts lol
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

To the OP, the wheel is so big because its a part bin steering wheel. The aluminum shell and hoop of this wheel was used in everything from the minivans to family sedans. GM didnt seemingly didnt get you dont need a school bus steering until really the past 5 or so years, the newest 3 spokes with the thick rim are pretty nice and on the small side. The 3 spoke C6 wheel, while small in comparison to the F-car wheel, is still a bit big in diameter compared to a large portion of the market.

Is what it is, thankfully its replaceable
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT4vert
To the OP, the wheel is so big because its a part bin steering wheel. The aluminum shell and hoop of this wheel was used in everything from the minivans to family sedans. GM didnt seemingly didnt get you dont need a school bus steering until really the past 5 or so years, the newest 3 spokes with the thick rim are pretty nice and on the small side. The 3 spoke C6 wheel, while small in comparison to the F-car wheel, is still a bit big in diameter compared to a large portion of the market.

Is what it is, thankfully its replaceable
ahh okay, so there's the actual reason of why the wheel is so large! It's best off never mentioning again that there is something in common with our f-bodies and a minivan.... jesus I'm sick from just thinking about that.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

jesus I'm sick from just thinking about that.
I had to, sorry hahaha.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=LT4vert;17686275]I had to, sorry hahaha.

oh my god, those photos are actually shocking to see! I'm baffled by how they were just okay with that. A steering wheel is what connects the driver to his car, and chevy felt it was okay to use a minivan wheel for their second fastest production model?

mind. blown
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,200 Posts

oh my god, those photos are actually shocking to see! I'm baffled by how they were just okay with that. A steering wheel is what connects the driver to his car, and chevy felt it was okay to use a minivan wheel for their second fastest production model?

mind. blown
I don't personally see this as a big deal. It's common pratice for OEMs to use a parts bin wheel across most of their lineup. After all, these were not supercars; take away the LS1 and they were just an affordable V6 sport coupe.

Various interior controls/switches/radios/etc. have often been shared amongst models ranging from trucks to sport coupes to everything inbetween.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't personally see this as a big deal. It's common pratice for OEMs to use a parts bin wheel across most of their lineup. After all, these were not supercars; take away the LS1 and they were just an affordable V6 sport coupe.

Various interior controls/switches/radios/etc. have often been shared amongst models ranging from trucks to sport coupes to everything inbetween.
yeah i get the whole parts bin/platform sharing stuff, but just not with steering wheels. A steering wheel is the most significant tie between car & driver, so for me, the wheel is always important.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am I the only one who thinks its quite comfy? yes its ugly lol ive got 100 of comments on how ugly it is...maybe am just used to it
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,200 Posts

A steering wheel is the most significant tie between car & driver
I disagree. I think seat/seating position is a more significant connection. I've had plenty of cars with less than ideal steering wheels and it's not nearly as much of a hassle as a car with less than ideal seating. But I guess this is just another matter of preference.

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
am I the only one who thinks its quite comfy? yes its ugly lol ive got 100 of comments on how ugly it is...maybe am just used to it
You're not alone. I have no complaints about it really. I don't even mind how they look. I don't care for the appearance of most modern aftermarket steering wheels, so I'm pretty happy with what came stock. I've been driving these cars, with these type of wheels, for close to two decades now. Not a big deal to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I disagree. I think seat/seating position is a more significant connection. I've had plenty of cars with less than ideal steering wheels and it's not nearly as much of a hassle as a car with less than ideal seating. But I guess this is just another matter of preference.
I hear ya.

I too like the feel of the wheel and the ergonomics. To me, the size of the wheel really does stick out, and like I said, I've driven every range rover, land rover, and jag you can think of. New and old.

It's not like I dislike the car or constantly grope about it, it's just a "i wish this were different" thing, especially because having an alternative is deemed as either dangerous (due to the lack of an airbag in an aftermarket wheel), or too complicated and expensive to do (vette wheel swap) to make me want to go through with it.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=giosoccer20;17686634]
Originally Posted by LT4vert
I had to, sorry hahaha.

mind. blown
You've got to keep in mind what kind of company GM was back then. There was a lot of parts being shared across models, and it made its way into the finest vehicles of the lineup. Now, does a crappy steering wheel make the F-body a slower car? No. It does make it slightly less awesome.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
though i never wear my seat belt im going with id rather have an air bag than a smaller steering wheel.
An airbag can actually be MORE dangerous without wearing your seatbelt you know. They are designed to work together.

Why the heck don't you wear your seatbelt?

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
Aside from it looking a bit blah I don't have any complaints with mine. The size really doesn't bother me.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
An airbag can actually be MORE dangerous without wearing your seatbelt you know. They are designed to work together.

Why the heck don't you wear your seatbelt?
More likelyhood of getting thrown out of the car without a seatbelt and meeting the pavement face on, the airbag won't keep you in the car.

Nice little vid of throat meeting steering wheel:

And here's one with no seatbelts and just the airbag:

And the famous, "I can see my house from here" crash test without seatbelt:

Last edited by Roarin_8; 09-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Launching!

now now, let's not start an argument about seatbelts, airbags, and other things, no matter how much we feel the need to share our opinions/personal experience.

Roarin 8, nice vids, they were interesting to see

An f-body's wheel, and especially the center pillow, is so big that even if you don't wear a seatbelt and don't have a functioning airbag, it would cushion your entire body to a gentle stop in the case of an accident
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

i think the worst thing about the f-body wheel is the A. the size and B. the horn position/button. so many times id say "you got off lucky this time because if i could have layed on my horn i would have" haha
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sick_tight
i think the worst thing about the f-body wheel is the A. the size and B. the horn position/button. so many times id say "you got off lucky this time because if i could have layed on my horn i would have" haha
Yeah the horn button sucks. I laugh when my passengers try to hit the horn to honk someone in front and it doesn't go off. Keep your hands off my shitttttt
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Yeah the horn button sucks. I laugh when my passengers try to hit the horn to honk someone in front and it doesn't go off. Keep your hands off my shitttttt
so very true

Quick Reply: why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?