General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you buy a second Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014 | 03:10 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Looks like an Fbod meet

all these f-body's and only two members showed up (my son and myself).
Old 02-17-2014 | 07:05 PM
Teching In

Granted my '02 WS6 is stock minus straight pipes, once I fall into the drivers seat of my Trans Am and start her up, a big ole smile always appears on my face and I couldn't picture myself daily driving anything else.

The sound, power, look, and feel of a 4th Gen LS1 F-Body says it all. I get numerous compliments on it as well as random thumbs up from various people on a daily basis.

That doesn't happen with the rest of the cookie cutter cars nowadays on the streets.

To each their own.

This is my fourth daily driven F-Body. One 3rd-Gen and three 4th-Gens.
Old 02-18-2014 | 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would, but if I have the money to afford a vette Ill jump in the vette. lol
Old 02-23-2014 | 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would daily drive my current fbody. Its mint and It has a built SBC with full suspension, but ONLY, if I had a nicer car in the stable. I.e. c6 z06, c7. Till then I'll use my wife's toyota for daily activities.

I have been throwing an idea around buying a nice stock 5 speed 305 3rd gen to daily.
Old 02-23-2014 | 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

I am not dead set on a second Fbody. Other LSX vehicles could work as well. Mostly the GTO, G8, CTS-V, or LSX swapped third gen. No real interest in a truck or suv with LS power.
Old 02-23-2014 | 11:03 PM
On The Tree

im on my 3rd fbody
Old 02-24-2014 | 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

After reading the comments in this thread and other research. I fill confident in saying it would be best to have another Fbody or other LS powered car IF I wanted to have a stock or near stock daily driver. The reason being the urge to modify and make something better, faster, nicer is just to hard to resist. So with a second car one could be the money pit while the other serves faithfully as the daily driver.
Old 02-24-2014 | 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calgary_z28
We get quite a lot of snow here, I'm on my 3rd winter with my 98. It's held up pretty well cosmetically. Although, it is parked in heated underground parking when it's not on the road (both at home and work.) I run 225 studded tires on my stock 16's and they do pretty good. Same setup as you with a bag of sand in the trunk. I find a lot of it comes down to driving habits (leaving lots of space when there is a pickup with no flaps spitting rocks and slush) and getting a nice coat of wax on in the late fall pre winter.

Also helps that I have a free car wash bay at my condo so I wash her 7 days a week

I also do a Krown rustproofing treatment in the spring every year.

But, if I had the $$$, I'd love to have a Firebird WS6/Formula LTx or LS to park beside my 98 Z28.
As has been mentioned though, it would be stock except for a lid, catback, short shifter and shocks.
Modified cars come with a lot of headaches!
Props to you Calgary, I have been caught by snow covered roads a couple of times driving south, without snow tire you just have to park and wait it out.
Old 02-25-2014 | 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I've been daily driving a fourth gen f-body for nearly 15 years. I've owned two at a time for the past 11 years and I actually have three. The 2 in my signature are my show cars and I dd a 1998 v6 Firebird. The 98 isn't perfect, but I can't picture myself driving any other kind of car. I agree with the op, have one for a daily driver and one for fun.
Old 02-25-2014 | 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd own a second one in a heartbeat.
Old 03-01-2014 | 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my F-body and I would daily drive it if it was stock or lightly modded.

That being said, as we do more and more to make our street cars perform like track cars, the more of a pain in the a** it is to actually drive them on the street.

My car is the perfect toy for me, however the suspension is a bit rough on the street and it squeaks, there isn't sufficient clearance to go up graded driveways or over speedbumps, the exhaust is way too loud to carry on a conversation and I smell like fuel when I get out! All completely worth it when you hit the throttle!
Old 03-02-2014 | 05:39 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Iv had 3 ls1 Camaros. I love them. I planned on a c5 next but if I come across a low mile f body that's supper clean and bone stock I might take it. I would go FI this time though.
Old 03-02-2014 | 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I love my F-body and I would daily drive it if it was stock or lightly modded.

That being said, as we do more and more to make our street cars perform like track cars, the more of a pain in the a** it is to actually drive them on the street.

My car is the perfect toy for me, however the suspension is a bit rough on the street and it squeaks, there isn't sufficient clearance to go up graded driveways or over speedbumps, the exhaust is way too loud to carry on a conversation and I smell like fuel when I get out! All completely worth it when you hit the throttle!
Exactly my point so I would make the one like that my show/go car so I would still enjoy it because I don't have to deal with all the downsides of having a built car.

Throw in a near stock car and its good to go for daily duties.
Old 03-03-2014 | 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love a 3.8 V6 loaded Automatic Convertible. Ive always felt like it would the Woodward Dream Cruise (traffic jam) more fun.
Old 03-03-2014 | 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

I always wanted to build a iroc camaro. I would leave it looking just like it came out the factory but make it pack a Lil more punch than one of those tpi engines. I would own two f bodies at the same time but not the same generation.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Yea i want them all.
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:31 AM
Launching!
15 Year Member

If you have the storage space/time/money I say go for it. I currently have two F-Body cars. One is a weekend cruiser/show car and the other is mostly a race car. I have a silverado for a daily driver and my wife has a cobalt so I have a total of 4 cars to maintain.

Its nice having two cars for different purposes but it also takes a lot of time/money to maintain them. With that being said I've enjoyed having two F-Bodies but I'm considering selling the race car. Just not enough time/money to really enjoy it. Plus I only have a 3 car garage so it would be nice to be able to keep my truck inside too.
Old 04-01-2014 | 03:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Props to you Calgary, I have been caught by snow covered roads a couple of times driving south, without snow tire you just have to park and wait it out.
Totally agree with you there OJ. I've been caught in the snow a couple of times with my summer tires and it is scary. Randomly losing the tail end out of no where, no stopping capability and god help you if you have to do a hill start! You guys get a brutal winter in Ontario too, probably worse than here with all the ice.
Old 04-01-2014 | 04:08 PM
Captain Double Post

after modding my car i wouldnt mind a low mileage, small cam ,decent heads,bolt ons, but honest i wont buy another one , gtos or a c5 are much much much nicer and really well priced
Old 04-01-2014 | 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
after modding my car i wouldnt mind a low mileage, small cam ,decent heads,bolt ons, but honest i wont buy another one , gtos or a c5 are much much much nicer and really well priced
That's what I did. My Formula has the engine in it but priorities are forcing me to wait to finish it. It's sitting in a storage unit. I have diesel truck and a 5th gen, but I bought a good looking 4th gen T/A WS6 to daily drive. They are so cheap now you can snag one that needs a little work for around the same price as a decent Honda Accord. When given those two options I'll take the F-body 10x out of 10. You need the time and space to fix lots of little things that are go wrong with these cars if you plan on daily driving one with higher mileage.

My silver WS6 now looks good, sounds good, and runs pretty good. It's probably making low 400's at the wheel so it keeps me interested but it still gets good mileage. My commute is 34 miles of 55mph 2 lane highway each way. 6th gear is perfect.

There is always something to be worked on though. I will say that... Dash pad, exhaust leak, suspension squeaks, interior rattles, etc. It has to be a labor of love or you will hate it. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I walk away from the car in my work parking lot knowing that I saved the car from imminent doom and it is now a solid and serviceable driver.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a second Fbody?