General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Can any shop owners help me set up a business plan for a school project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can any shop owners help me set up a business plan for a school project?

Already posted this in the lounge with no response so maybe someone who can help will see it in this section and respond.

I'm taking a business class this semester and our main project is to create a complete business plan on a business of our choosing. Of course considering how much I love cars I want to do my project on an automotive performance shop. However... I don't really have a clue how to go about starting this business. I need to include things like suppliers and equipment (where I will get parts from as well as best/cheapest places to get tools, lifts, ect.), ways you advertise and market if you do any of that, financial data (basic assumptions, start up costs, 12 month and 3 year profit and loss projections, assuming I'm successful how much profit can I expect the first year?), and typical renting cost of a small shop, any special licensing?

I know rent costs, licensing, and some other stuff varies depending on a lot of things and I will of course be doing my own research but I'm including everything I need in this post anyways just so you have the complete picture of what I need to do and any advice is appreciated. I'm sure I can find enough info in the internet my self to complete the project but getting direct help from people with actual experience in this particular business will help me put together a quality finished product rather than something that is incomplete or inaccurate. I also need to list business advisors in the plan anyways and don't personally know anyone that can help me.

I greatly appreciate any help from big name guys since you obviously have to have done something right to be successful just keep in mind I am aiming for a smaller operation (small 3-4 car shop with 2 lifts to start) to keep costs down and hopefully simplify things a bit so guys who run smaller shops please respond as well. Feel free to PM me or post on here. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Can any shop owners help me set up a business plan for a school project?