General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pro-Touring Swap LS2 vs. LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pro-Touring Swap LS2 vs. LS3

Hey guys,

I'm going to be swapping in an LS into a Pro-Touring build. This is a daily driven car that sees track use probably twice a year at Laguna Seca and Thunderhill as well as the occasional Auto-X.

My goal is to go somewhere around 450whp on a streetable cam. More is obviously better.

Right now engine pullouts seem to be the most attractive options from a pricing standpoint. These include the engine, trans, and all electronic accessories. I will need the ECM and accessories to complete this swap.

LS2 pullouts from GTO's seem to be around 2K cheaper than LS3 pullouts from Camaros. I've also read around and noted that LS2's can be improved greatly by an intake change. If I slap LS3 heads on there and sell the old LS2 stuff, the motor is pretty competitive with the stock LS3 for slightly less money.

On the other hand, LS3's seem to be a simple cam swap away from my 450whp goal or more. The LS3's from Camaros also come with the TR6060 (T-56 Magnum) which (I think) is slightly better than the T-56 from the goat. I'm worried that the GM heads and intake on the LS3 are at that ugly half-way point where they aren't crappy enough like the LS2's intake to warrant a replacement, but not good enough to give me the performance and juicy power curves of the aftermarket stuff.

Which would be the best starting point?

Last edited by Famine67; 04-21-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Pro-Touring Swap LS2 vs. LS3