General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

buying a motor from various salvage yards-need inputs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Question buying a motor from various salvage yards-need inputs

So I placed a couple online submissions to a directory for salvage and junkyards on a 01+ 6.0 truck motor. A few responses from various yards across the country emailed/called with their price and info what they have on inventory. My question(s) is, what are the things to ask? I’ve always purchased motors locally so I can physically see it and load it up and go, but the yards from across the state would ship it. Someone mentioned, to verify the mileage by asking its carfax history. One of the things I ask is if the engine was tested and if it was running prior to being removed and what parts are included and excluded. What other things to ask?

A few places provided a flat-rate price with shipping/freight included (ex-$1195 with warranty for x months). What’s the going rate for a motor in the 80-100k miles? I imagine shipping’s around $350-400 on a pallet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also I was curious on thoughts about pulling one from a local u-pull it junkyard. The big one near me has one listed and engines cost a flat price of $215.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Pull it yourself.. Actually where are you located and I'll go pull it lmao!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Pull it yourself.. Actually where are you located and I'll go pull it lmao!
lol. im over in lancaster, pa.

edit-the thing with pulling a motor is i dont know how long it sat and if there's anything wrong/broken sitting on the yard whereas the places online already pulled them and sitting on the shelf from the environment.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its $215 for a complete 6.0 that is a smoking deal, you could sell the heads for that much. If your going to a yard you can pull the valve covers and see if there is a lot of sludge showing poor maintenance. The spark plugs can give you an idea of how the engine was running. If there is one or two that don't match the rest there may be a problem with those cylinders, hopefully they are still in and the intake is still on to keep junk out of the engine. It would be best to get as much as you can from the vehicle like PCM, harness, TAC and pedal if it's DBW, exhaust manifolds and accessories as well. If this is going in a non-ls vehicle all these things will nickel and dime you to death. If you order it online make sure to read the fine print, some places require that for the warranty to be valid it has to be installed by an ASE mechanic and usually they are only around 90 days. I paid $2500 including shipping for a 2005 6.0 100k miles with PCM, harness, TAC/pedal, OE fuel pump assembly, all accessories, complete intake, coils, exhaust manifolds and a 4l60e.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a great u pull it up near me in king of prussia pa called shorty and Dave's. I think they used to charge like $175 for a complete engine. I was thinking about pulling one but ended up getting one from Connors next door. I don't have the energy to pull motors at the j-yard anymore lol.

Quick Reply: buying a motor from various salvage yards-need inputs