General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Not sure what oil was previously used in Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what oil was previously used in Z28

Hi,

Very quick question:

I'm not sure what type of oil (synthetic or conventional) was used previously in my Z28. I recently purchased the vehicle a few months ago and the guy who owned it passed away.

Does it matter if he was using conventional and i switch to synthetic or vice versa?

THANK YOU!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

46,7xx miles on the odometer btw. so, not high mileage. Any suggestions on brands of oil will also be considered.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

It makes no difference. You can switch back and forth with every oil change if you like.

I believe the rumor that you cannot switch back once you have gone to synthetic has to do with how certain synthetics were made many, many years (decades) ago. This doesn't apply to modern, off-the-shelf synthetics though.

Feel free to use whatever oil you think is best. There are a ton of threads that discuss favorite oils for the LS1; everyone has an opinion and many of them are different, so it's best to do some research and decide for yourself. My personal choice for LS1s is Mobil 1 0w40.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It makes no difference. You can switch back and forth with every oil change if you like.

I believe the rumor that you cannot switch back once you have gone to synthetic has to do with how certain synthetics were made many, many years (decades) ago. This doesn't apply to modern, off-the-shelf synthetics though.

Feel free to use whatever oil you think is best. There are a ton of threads that discuss favorite oils for the LS1; everyone has an opinion and many of them are different, so it's best to do some research and decide for yourself. My personal choice for LS1s is Mobil 1 0w40.
God**** ur helpful on this site, man! Thanks for all the great feedback. Doesn't it call for 5w30 or something? What's with the 0?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Swens651
God**** ur helpful on this site, man! Thanks for all the great feedback. Doesn't it call for 5w30 or something? What's with the 0?
Haha, thank you.

The owner's manual does in fact call for 5w30, but not all 5w30 oils are created the same. There is a range of oil values that can still be called a w30. UOAs (Used Oil Analysis) have generally shown LS1s to do well with oils that are on the "thick" side of a w30 or the "thin" side of a w40. Brands like Mobil 1 tend to run on the thin side of their grade, thus their 0w40 usually shows great results in most LS1 applications (and in general 0w40 is one of M1's better oils).

The "0" just indicates better flow on cold starts (vs. a 5 or 10).

There is a ton of information on engine oils if you really wanted to research. Sites like bobistheoilguy.com have a wealth of info and plenty of tech tutorials to read through if you are interested.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha, thank you.

The owner's manual does in fact call for 5w30, but not all 5w30 oils are created the same. There is a range of oil values that can still be called a w30. UOAs (Used Oil Analysis) have generally shown LS1s to do well with oils that are on the "thick" side of a w30 or the "thin" side of a w40. Brands like Mobil 1 tend to run on the thin side of their grade, thus their 0w40 usually shows great results in most LS1 applications (and in general 0w40 is one of M1's better oils).

The "0" just indicates better flow on cold starts (vs. a 5 or 10).

There is a ton of information on engine oils if you really wanted to research. Sites like bobistheoilguy.com have a wealth of info and plenty of tech tutorials to read through if you are interested.
Thanks, so much! You're the man! Enjoy the weekend.

Quick Reply: Not sure what oil was previously used in Z28