General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Oil in over flow bottle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in over flow bottle

When I pull the dip stick out of the over flow bottle, it's real dirty inside the tank and the dip stick seems like there is oil on it. Greenish black... Heard it could be a blown head gasket, but these no smoke... I just don't know what to do with this.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

How does it look inside the radiator?

Does your car have a factory power steering cooler? If so, the PS fluid and coolant may be mixing at this point (common problem). So I would also check the PS fluid condition.

Also, a blown head gasket would be more likely to put coolant in the oil than oil in the coolant. So how does the engine oil look?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like RPM WS6 mentions, it may be your power steering cooler which failed. If the gunk in your overflow bottle, radiator, and power steering pump look alike then you've found the culprit. Please check out the General Maintenance and Repairs section of the site for help/advice in eliminating/upgrading this part which everyone needs to deal with as these cars age.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
How does it look inside the radiator?

Does your car have a factory power steering cooler? If so, the PS fluid and coolant may be mixing at this point (common problem). So I would also check the PS fluid condition.

Also, a blown head gasket would be more likely to put coolant in the oil than oil in the coolant. So how does the engine oil look?
Engine oils okay. I will change it today and look in drain pan just to make sure. And I'm almost positive the PS is factory I just got this car two weeks ago. And it seems almost everything is still factory. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Like RPM WS6 mentions, it may be your power steering cooler which failed. If the gunk in your overflow bottle, radiator, and power steering pump look alike then you've found the culprit. Please check out the General Maintenance and Repairs section of the site for help/advice in eliminating/upgrading this part which everyone needs to deal with as these cars age.
I did check the radiator yesterday and when I opened it I didn't see any coolant. So I added some. I will check on the status of that again today. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: Oil in over flow bottle