General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2013 2SS Convertible Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 2SS Convertible Review

I’ve owned my 2013 2SS ashen gray metallic convertible (stick) for a tick over a year now (Early July 2013). So I thought I would just throw out my two cents worth out for anyone that is interested in getting one and want a real world review.

-Looks/Interior
Love the looks and stance of the convertible. No two ways about it. I wish I could have gotten it in a lighter color (I’m not a fan of dark colors) but my priorities first and foremost were that it be a convertible and a stick. Dealership had about 30 cars on the lot, about 8 were convertibles and only one was a stick. So far everything has held up, paint looks good, interior and seats are holding up thus far. At least with the dark colors the rims really pop. It turns heads and I get a lot of positive comments.

-Engine
Love this thing. Period. Exclamation point. Only add-on I’ve done is the cold air induction. Mileage is what it is but hey, kind of hard to keep your foot out of it. Still I’ve done a best of 24mpg on a road trip. Most of the time though combined city/hwy is 18-20.

-Transmission/Clutch
(1) Standard old issues with the T56, you start slamming it and sure enough, miss third (I have the upgraded shifter).
(2) Wish they would do away with the stupid 1-4 shift.
(3) This clutch is not easy on the knee that’s for sure. Everyone that has driven it is surprised how stiff this thing is. There were a couple guys I told about it and they both killed it first time out. Now these are experienced stick drivers. After all this time It is still a chore to feather this thing out and do it every time. Beginning to think I should have just stuck with the auto.

-Exhaust
Mine came with the upgrade “performance” exhaust which I’m not sure why they call it that. Doesn’t add any performance to the vehicle yet I do enjoy the throaty sound when the flaps open up. Not sure it was worth the extra 1,000 dollar price tag though.

-Electronics
*First and foremost the Heads Up Display (HUD). I use it and the digital display in the dash most of the time for my speed. Issue is every now and then it just quits working! It will just start slowly fading out and then won’t come on at all. Then the next day I’ll come out and it works fine. Haven’t taken it in to the dealership yet just because it is always working when I mean to drop it off.

*Radio *SIGH* this is going to take a while. I absolutely without a doubt hate this thing. If I could rip it out of my dash and smash it on the road with my top down at 150 I would. To back up it came with the upgraded system, nine speakers, touch screen plus navigation. Hell, let’s start there.
(1) Wife and I were on a trip a couple weeks ago and we weren’t quite sure were we would end up so we decide to just throw it in the navigation. Of course you can’t do that while moving which is asinine. Just because I shouldn’t do it while driving doesn’t mean my wife couldn’t or shouldn’t be able to do it from the passenger’s seat. So I had to pull over and hope no gravel truck slams into me from behind on the side of the road (oh the irony)
(2) Lately whenever I start the vehicle the first thing that pops up is the navigation screen. I have no idea why it just started doing it, it just does. I have changed the home setting yet it still does it. Screw it.
(3) I don’t use/pay the XM radio in this car because I have a second car I drive back and forth to work that I do use and pay for it. But every freaking 20 seconds this pop up ad comes on the screen for me to active my XM *GRRRR*.
(4) I plug in my iphone and every now and then the screen will freeze on the radio. End up having to unplug/plug in my phone again on the USB to start all over.
(5) Blue tooth sometimes works, most of the time not. We had this issue on both my iphone and my wife’s Samsung S4. Yet my phone works in my other vehicle just fine with the cheaper radio.
(6) Hands free function? Yeah, when it works nobody can hear me. Absolutely worthless in a convertible. Not sure if coupes have the same issues due to microphone placement.
(7) One of the speakers is already blown, something else for warranty work.
(8) Navigating through the configuration and settings screens is a nightmare sometimes. Course you have to do that also while parked. This thing can’t even keep time correctly. Every 3 months I have to add about 5 minutes to the time.

Overall I do like the sound of the system, when the speakers aren’t blown that is. Good bass response and overall sounds nice (I don’t have the sub option, remember convertible).

-Performance
My wife has a 2001 Z-28 and we played around against each other recently out in the country. I can usually jump out about 1.5-2 links on her and that is it. Course I know the car is heavier (course so am I). I also have a 2002 Trans Am WS6 and the difference in the power band between the two is dramatic. The TA just feels faster even though it’s not. But the Camaro just handles soooo much better. There is a curve by my house that has a speed limit of 45mph. I’ve taken it so far up to 84 and I know I can get 90 around it one of these days. I would never have attempted that in either my wife’s Z or my TA. I’ve heard tales of this car seeing 150 a couple of times with the top down but I can’t (won’t) confirm

-Misc
At just under 13,000 miles this thing is starting to make some noises, creaks, and groans already. This.drives.me.insane. I’ve got something in the convertible trim on the passenger’s side that every now in then will crack which sounds like a rock ricocheting off the windshield. Dash also is starting to creak and the suspension is making noises on occasion. Can’t wait to see what this thing will sound like after 50,000 miles.
Drivers viewing doesn’t appear to be as bad for the convertible as it has been for some of the coupes I’ve driven. Weird I know. Course after driving this for a little over a year maybe I’m just used to it and would need to revisit a coupe for an updated review of the view.
The width of this thing can be intimidating at times. Curious to see what the redesigned models in 2016 will bring. Supposed to be smaller so we will see.

Overall I still enjoy the car but I just don’t love it. Those little things just add up. I have considered maybe upgrading to a ZL1 but the same issues will still apply. Just with more power behind it. I’ve thought of a new Stingray convertible but I tried one and I just don’t fit (I’m 6’4”). Disappointing since I do fit in a C6 coupe I know.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

theres no need to convince me. i want a 5th gen. badly. im just waiting for a good deal.
blind spots are bad but im sure having your top down eliminates that.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts

Man, I'd have that car back at the dealership with your laundry list of sound system complaints looking to get that head unit replaced. Probably a bad circuit board or other electronics in the thing that can never be fixed, just replaced.

Creaks, rattles, and groans are generally a part of convertible life - and why I would never own one. Sounds all too close to typical 4th gen woes.

I don't see how people can see out of those things (unless you drive it only on nice days with the top down). For the money, I'd rather have a G8 with tall glass all around.

Quick Reply: 2013 2SS Convertible Review