General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Growling/grinding noise after accident

Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling/grinding noise after accident

I was rear ended a few days ago. I have noticed that when turning left that there is a fairly loud growling/grinding type noise. It is only when turning sharply to the left. Mild turns produce no noise and straight line produces no noise. The noise sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. Is that a possibility? I haven't had a chance to take the wheel off and inspect things to see if it's rubbing or if anything else is damaged but was wondering on what your guys thoughts are on what it might be?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I was rear ended a few days ago. I have noticed that when turning left that there is a fairly loud growling/grinding type noise. It is only when turning sharply to the left. Mild turns produce no noise and straight line produces no noise. The noise sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. Is that a possibility? I haven't had a chance to take the wheel off and inspect things to see if it's rubbing or if anything else is damaged but was wondering on what your guys thoughts are on what it might be?
It very well could be an axle bearing but I would pull the tire off and visually inspect everything very well before coming to any conclusion.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is anything rubbing anywhere?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking it could be the tire rubbing, but I haven't had a chance to confirm. It didn't used to rub though and they're only 285s so I'm not sure if my rear could gotten knocked out of alignment from the hit? On the side where the noise is coming from the wheel is further into the wheel well than the other side so I'll probably need to center it back up.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well sure enough it was just tire rubbing. Odd as hell. Both jack nuts on the panhard bar were loose and the rear end alignment was all jacked up. I got hit pretty hard but I wouldn't expect it to knock the panhard bar adjustment nuts loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Growling/grinding noise after accident