General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

1999 TA LS1 died cranks no start

Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 TA LS1 died cranks no start

This year I drove the car about 100 miles, but would turn it on frequently. I turned it one day and after like 10 mins it died. Car is stock with less than 8,000 original miles.

- Gas on tank, maybe a few months old
- I hear the fuel pump before crank
- no pressure in rail
- sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it turns on and shuts down after few seconds
- disconnected fuel filter and fuel is passing when priming
- swapped relays, still just cranks
- replaced fuel filter, still just cranks
- replaced crank position sensor, still just cranks

Could there be something shutting down the fuel pump right at crank and after the priming? Want to rule out everything before the PITA fuel pump change. Thanks in advance.
Roy

Last edited by veeates; 03-04-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Is your battery week, sometimes an engine needs to spin fast enough to start? Maybe try bleeding pressure from the shraeder valve on the fuel rail, there could be an air pocket or blockage for some reason? If that doesn't work I would test the coils, and maybe pull a plug to make sure it isn't fouled or something
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the fuel pump pressure? Rent or borrow a gauge and find out. I forgot the standard pressure but it's easy enough to find out...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Default cranks but no start

Battery is ok, but I do need to check the plugs. When I pressed the shraeder valve, it hardly does anything...just my tip of finger a tad wet of fuel and a light hiss.

I used a guage on the rails, but nothing. I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter and it did spit fuel, when turning on the key..I do hear the fuel pump too.

The car does spark up with starting fluid. I am wondering if there could be anything shutting down the pump after cranks. Could the fuel line from fuel filter to rail be clogged?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm far from a mechanic, but it sounds like the fuel line is clogged beyond the filter. I have no idea how to flush a line from that point forward, but that would be my suggestion, for what it is worth.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Default fuel pressure

Some friends are telling me the pump should be flowing faster out of the tank. Watch the video where I disconnected line from fuel filter and I hit the key.

Is that normal pressure?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 AM

Is the security light on some times the ignition key cylinder wears out and the chip in the key dosent make contact or bcm is out its located behind glovebox on dash
After market alarm should have 2 fuses some were near alarm brain most common place is under steering wheel
Check for spark pull a plug wire of spark plug leave on the coil get a loose spark plug u should be able to see spark up
Maybe computer is bad swap a computer
Fuel regulator maybe
If it is The fuel pump look up trap door method u can cut a u shape hole in trunk to make a ez access to fuel pump with out ever getting under the car
Inspect fuel lines for pinches i ran some thing over it bouned and kincked my line one time good luck
Old 03-12-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACKSSCHEVY
Is the security light on some times the ignition key cylinder wears out and the chip in the key dosent make contact or bcm is out its located behind glovebox on dash
After market alarm should have 2 fuses some were near alarm brain most common place is under steering wheel
Check for spark pull a plug wire of spark plug leave on the coil get a loose spark plug u should be able to see spark up
Maybe computer is bad swap a computer
Fuel regulator maybe
If it is The fuel pump look up trap door method u can cut a u shape hole in trunk to make a ez access to fuel pump with out ever getting under the car
Inspect fuel lines for pinches i ran some thing over it bouned and kincked my line one time good luck

He said it has less then 8,000 miles on it... Don't cut anything up.

It does seem via the video there isn't much flow there. All and all I don't think with that much flow you will get a very good reading at the rail for fuel pressure.

Given it isn't driven much with low miles, I wonder if the fuel pump feed hose on the sending unit hooked to the pump may have dried out, spilt or is leaking. My crappy laptop doesn't do sound very well, but how does the pump sound? Strong or weak in the sense of normal conditions?

Hope this helps, I know you don't want to pull the tank and pump but its looking like you may have to sadly.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Default solution: fuel pump

No trap door for this car. Had someone replace the fuel pump by dropping the tank...all is well. It fired it up!

Thanks to everyone input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 TA LS1 died cranks no start