General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sad Day At The CO Pick & Pulls

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Day At The CO Pick & Pulls

So as many of you know I want to do an LS swap. Since I pretty much have a clean slate to start with I thought I would go see what was out and about at the local Pick & Pulls.

Well, not much at all. Went to 3 locations and the same at every yard. If the car or in most cases trucks came in with a good engine, the yards pulled them for e-bay sale. In fact the local LQK in Aurora has no late model trucks at all.

A guy at the yard pulling parts said he heard they send all the truck motors to one of their other locations.

I really hate to think that I am going to have to buy one off of fee bay.

Last edited by BigE79Berl; 03-22-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where are you located? Are you talking Aurora Illinois? Im in Iowa and have some Ls motors found.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Colorado (CO)
Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Launching!

ls series engine are a hard find at any junkyard here in the Denver metro area... I did find a 6.0 out of a 02 2500 hd a while back, for cheap though from the aurora LQK, I think they finally caught on to the LS bandwagon and are pricing accordingly... last year I did find a few 5.3's most likely high mileage cores at the u pull and pay have you tried:
http://coloradoautoandparts.com/
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy a swap engine from a junkyard , they are in business to make money not their fault but you don't have to be part of it!

Look for whole vehicles , collision damage , rusty frame , blown transmission ,etc... lots of running 4.8/5.3 trucks around here for a grand or so , 2500 hd's closer to 2k( with issues of course) lots of savanna/express vans in the same price range also all over craigs list. Take what you need then sell some parts of it , then scrap it - these are all heavy vehicles so you can easily end up with the stuff you need for free.

Or you can make it even easier on yourself since you will likely want a car intake ,front accessories , electric fans etc... and just buy a whole ls1 f body here on ls1 tech ,CL etc... I haven't parted or scrapped any of the ones I have bought but for example :

no winters 130k 98 z $2,000 actually been commuting 100 miles a day with it no issues

98z 173k $3200 with kooks stainless long tubes , tsp ory , magnaflow stainless catback , slp ram air and lid , smooth bellows , 80mm bbk tb , ls6 intake , underdrive pulley , built trans with 3600 vigilante , umi subframe connectors trailing arms ,panhard etc.. qa1 shocks , car ran 12.1 @112 for me with fuel delivery issue as bought short of a fresh set of plugs and tossing dr's on it.

99z 168k $3400 pacesetter long tubes ,gmmg catback , slp lid , came with spare wheels with et streets on them and a pair of subframe connectors.

2000 z 225k when bought 243k now my favorite one $3800 qtp long tubes , x pipe , true duals , slp lid , ls6 intake , truck coils , ls7 clutch/t56 , kirban shifter , strano springs , koni adj shocks , hotchkis panhard , alpine deck , 2 alpine amps ,ctd sub and speakers throughout , running on sd tune by previous owner-watched him run 3 11.9 passes with it a few months before I bought it.

Any of these cars could have been demoded ,parted out , sold as rolling chassis etc... and made money with all the goodies on them I just have a hard time taking apart a perfectly functioning car in good condition which they all were/are but if I ever find a rusty or crashed one I have a few old cars waiting to be ls powered , or if god forbid one of mine gets hit I would then collect what I can and part it out

when I see ls1 pullouts advertised in my area with harness and pcm they are generally more than I have paid for a whole car with mods is my point after this long winded but hopefully eye opening post

Quick Reply: Sad Day At The CO Pick & Pulls