General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

155k miles?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 155k miles?!?!

I have 155,XXX miles on my 98 ss, I am wanting to put a 92mm intake manifold on it with heads and cam, I have headers/exhaust/slp intake on now. I am wanting to know if I do these mods can my car handle it or not because its an older engine. Please let me know. Thank you
Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Age of an engine does not really determine whether or not it can "handle" extra power or not. Initial strength of the components and to a certain degree maintenance will play a bigger factor.

For example, the LS1 has a good bottom end. So regardless of its age...the pistons, rods and crank will handle the same kind of power. Now an engine with weaker components will not be able to handle that kind of power regardless if it has 150 miles or 150k miles.

Also, when you think about it the h/c/i takes care of a lot of weak spots in the engine (given that you do it right) so in reality if you have a well maintained engine doing heads, cam and intake is only going to further improve the life of the engine because you get rid of the truly pesky things that wear out.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Like redtan said if your getting rebuilt heads, cam, pushrods, lifters, timing chain, and oil pump most of the problem areas would be addressed. I have the stock longblock in my 98 with almost 222k on it and I know the previous owner ran a lot of nitrous through it.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan
Age of an engine does not really determine whether or not it can "handle" extra power or not. Initial strength of the components and to a certain degree maintenance will play a bigger factor.

For example, the LS1 has a good bottom end. So regardless of its age...the pistons, rods and crank will handle the same kind of power. Now an engine with weaker components will not be able to handle that kind of power regardless if it has 150 miles or 150k miles.

Also, when you think about it the h/c/i takes care of a lot of weak spots in the engine (given that you do it right) so in reality if you have a well maintained engine doing heads, cam and intake is only going to further improve the life of the engine because you get rid of the truly pesky things that wear out.

A well maintained bottom end will handle it.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Like these guys said. Mileage isn't necessarily the issue, but rather how the car was maintaned. When I sold my T/A it had 151K on it with heads, cam etc. Ran like a charm. The only issue really was a slight oil leak from the rear main seal. But otherwise, it ran strong.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Go for it.

Quick Reply: 155k miles?!?!