General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking at supercharging without breaking bank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at supercharging without breaking bank

Hey all. I have a 2002 LS1 Trans Am and I am looking for a supercharger that wont break my bank account. I have been surfing the web and found some that I felt were sketchy. They were mainly cheap rebuilds or Chinese makes that have no input.
Basically, I was out last summer for a cruise and a supercharged Charger (Vortech)decided to give me a run. Well as you could guess, I couldn't catch him. So now I am on a mission. I know the guy with the Charger and want to put him in his place.
The downside from the supercharger idea is that I am looking at minimum 5K just to purchase one that is from a trusted manufacturer.
I was thinking of going Turbo Charger but it is a little trickier to install. Plus wouldn't get the same results.
Does anyone here know where to get a decent one, or installed a successful supercharger without breaking their wallets?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supercharger and budget don't go hand-in-hand. Ever lol. But one I've seen actually advertise on here heavily is Bob at Brute Speed. He offers Prochargers cheaper than anyone else, but you'll have to call him and mention the special pricing to see what it is. He can't put it in writing. I haven't checked since I'm staying n/a so I don't have a clue what the actual price is. Turbo charging will result in more power....with the trade off being that it's all around more complicated than a centrifugal setup. Good luck
Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Supercharger and budget don't go hand-in-hand. Ever lol. But one I've seen actually advertise on here heavily is Bob at Brute Speed. He offers Prochargers cheaper than anyone else, but you'll have to call him and mention the special pricing to see what it is. He can't put it in writing. I haven't checked since I'm staying n/a so I don't have a clue what the actual price is. Turbo charging will result in more power....with the trade off being that it's all around more complicated than a centrifugal setup. Good luck
Thanks, I appreciate it! To the OP, give me a call for pricing. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-03-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All!!! I'm really thinking about going with a S/C on my '95 LT-1 Z. I've put some other stuff into it, but like dude, I'm ready to push her to the bore. My '00 WS.6 T/A Doesn't really need more that it already has. I put a $450.00 K&N system on that Ram Air Set-up, and believe me, it did make a difference. Ain't much that can fly with that Bird. The Camaro is at the beauty shop right now. Getting new wheels & shoes, headliner, power seat switch, and a few other things. I got lucky on both of them and got them both in pristine shape at a stealer's price. The Z28, I've pretty much got back to a showroom car. On the Z, other than a K&N and a tune-up, I haven't touched under the hood. Yet. While it's at the beauty shop, I need a fuel pump, so when they drop the exhaust to get the fuel tank out, I'm going back in with a Magnaflo true dual. What ya'll think??? Any advice and help will be welcome. MAT '00 WS.6 T/A; '95 Z28: '93 Silverado
Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark A, Trimmer
Hey All!!! I'm really thinking about going with a S/C on my '95 LT-1 Z. I've put some other stuff into it, but like dude, I'm ready to push her to the bore. My '00 WS.6 T/A Doesn't really need more that it already has. I put a $450.00 K&N system on that Ram Air Set-up, and believe me, it did make a difference. Ain't much that can fly with that Bird. The Camaro is at the beauty shop right now. Getting new wheels & shoes, headliner, power seat switch, and a few other things. I got lucky on both of them and got them both in pristine shape at a stealer's price. The Z28, I've pretty much got back to a showroom car. On the Z, other than a K&N and a tune-up, I haven't touched under the hood. Yet. While it's at the beauty shop, I need a fuel pump, so when they drop the exhaust to get the fuel tank out, I'm going back in with a Magnaflo true dual. What ya'll think??? Any advice and help will be welcome. MAT '00 WS.6 T/A; '95 Z28: '93 Silverado
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GA21...1GA211-SCI.htm
The above kit comes complete with a tune, and the tune is meant for bone stock or cars with just a cat back on them. Give me a call for a lower price.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...ed-Formula.htm
Here is a link to our '95 Formula which has a P-1SC on it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I wouldn't go the supercharger route without building up the bottom end. That's what separates the guys with a blower putting down 8xx hp and 4xx hp. If your on a budget id recommend a good heads cam setup. Speaking from experience FI builds aren't budget conscious, well if you want to do it right anyway.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was thinking of going Turbo Charger but it is a little trickier to install. Plus wouldn't get the same results.
Not to get into a whole supercharger vs. turbo debate, by why wouldn't the latter get the same results? What exactly are your specific goals from a centri supercharger that a well setup turbo wouldn't be able to replicate?

I'll sort agree that it will be tough to replicate the low end torque and overall "snapiness" of a PD blower with turbos, but a centri is a whole different animal and somewhat similar in power bands to a turbo setup.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What has been said here is accurate. Any form of forced induction (supercharger, turbo) will not end up being budget friendly. These are not components you want to cheap out on, and you definitely want supporting mods to maximize their benefits. When my dad got a Vortech charger on his '94 Z28, he was in it for almost $8K with supporting mods (heads, cam, exhaust, tune).

A blower adds a lot of power to your car, which will exploit any weakness the motor has pretty quickly. Just slapping one on for the sake of out-running a blown Charger is not the right approach. Spend some time in the Forced Induction section, read a LOT, learn a LOT, then figure out how badly you need to beat this Charger and spend accordingly.

You could cheap out and go with nitrous (and hope your motor holds together).

Quick Reply: Looking at supercharging without breaking bank