General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is the difference in the block between Active Fuel Management and non?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference in the block between Active Fuel Management and non?

Just like the title says. I know that AFM has a different lifter valley cover with hydraulic actuators and passages, and I know it uses collapsible lifters to shut off those cylinders, but what are the differences in the block? Also, do non AFM gen IV blocks have the provisions for AFM?

A little backstory: I have a brilliant beyond expensive idea

I've had a '89 Firebird (V-6... weak sauce..), my Grandpa (may he rest in peace) bought an '87 T/A new, and my whole family has been Pontiac people for decades. I want a third-gen T/A. But I don't want no run-of-the-mill 305 or 350 powering it. That's not very 'me'. No, I want a 5.3 (or BETTER! though I'm kinda partial to the 325.1 C.I., because then I can get 326 badges for it!). But even just a garden-variety 5.3 is not quite awesome enough... No, I wanna see what one of these highly aerodynamic cars can do for MPG when it's only got 4 cylinders running it on the highway!

Quick Reply: What is the difference in the block between Active Fuel Management and non?