General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ly6 core value

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ly6 core value

A salvage yard by me has a LY6 core that I can buy for $500.00. It has 823 heads on it and is only a long block. We do not know the story or what is wrong wth it, does not look like the heads or even valve covers have been off of it. It came back to him as a core from a reman engine sale for a 2008 3500 express van. Is that a good price? I would be doing a total rebuild with a diffrent difrent cam, going carb and doing away with VVT. I do have the option to tear it down first if i want, and i do know 6 of the eight intake valves seal as the have water in them from a light rain shower. Also, I already have a set of good 823 heads that i bought a few months back so i could sell these and recoup some funds. Thanks in advance from a new member.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a pretty good price given that the engine is complete and it turns over freely. The heads cost almost that much on their own, so the rest is almost free.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Teching In

I did get a chance to pull the heads off of this. Very clean inside and rotates smoothly and all bores look great. I did buy this, i think it was a ok deal. How should I procede?... Thinking pull apart install new main rod and cam bearings,new rings and have piston/rod assembly checked install new camshaft, do away with vvt and run it!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends really on what you want to do with it. For a fun daily driver what you have planned is more than enough.

Personally I'd at least do something with the rods, like either get some cheapo Scat forged ones or do some ARP bolts in the stock ones if they are ok. That's really the weakest part of the engine and no reason not to upgrade it while it's out.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Fun weekend restored '66 chevy PU, but want it to run good. Yes, was figuring arp rod bolts. what about head bolts, gm or arp? I work in Chevrolet dealership parts departmet, that is pretty handy and I can buy at 10% over cost.

Quick Reply: Ly6 core value