General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help ASAP HEAD BOLT BROKE PIECE OFF OF BLACK

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP HEAD BOLT BROKE PIECE OFF OF BLACK

Hello i was working on my 1998 camaro while i was tightening the new headbolts i bought on summit racing a piece of the block broke is there a way to fix this

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Need help ASAP HEAD BOLT BROKE PIECE OFF OF BLACK-image.jpg  

Last edited by SS1998_maro; 04-30-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by SS1998_maro
Hello i was working on my 1998 camaro while i was tightening the new headbolts i bought on summit racing a piece of the block broke is there a way to fix this

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Looks like the bolt bottomed out when tightening. Did you compare header bolt length to what was in it before? Did you change anything else that would have caused the bolt to go deeper: different headers, different header gasket with thickness?

Looks like it still had threads still to bite on to tighten. You may be ok for now. Do you have the piece that broke out? You will have to get someone to tig weld then tap the hole afterwards
Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

looks like the classic sign of coolant in the bolt hole! did you clean the bolt holes before torquing the head bolts? doesn't look like there is a lot of threads left. might get away with the way it is, but put thread sealant on the bolt!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with JOHNNY59, definitely looks like you didn't suck all the coolant and gunk out before you put the bolts in.

I would say that block is scrap, but you might be able to get some life out of it by picking up a head stud kit and maybe even try welding the stud in that hole.. How long that fix will work (if it works at all) is really a toss up, but it may be your only option if you can't replace the whole block.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
I agree with JOHNNY59, definitely looks like you didn't suck all the coolant and gunk out before you put the bolts in.

I would say that block is scrap, but you might be able to get some life out of it by picking up a head stud kit and maybe even try welding the stud in that hole.. How long that fix will work (if it works at all) is really a toss up, but it may be your only option if you can't replace the whole block.
That looks to be completely fixable. I wouldn't scrap that block.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your block iron or aluminum? I don't have much experience but it seems to me either way you might be able to heliarch it if alum, and if iron have it brazed. I don't know if you would simply fill in the entire area and have it drilled and tapped, or try to patch the broken part back on and retap. Sorry man. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP HEAD BOLT BROKE PIECE OFF OF BLACK