General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

5500 RPM, falling on it's face

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If the filter was extremely clogged, then it might have been restricting flow and thus causing a lean condition at WOT/high rpms. The pump may have been damaged somewhat over time, so even with a clean filter it still may not be producing the proper pressure under full load to support fuel needs at high rpm.

Before tearing into the injectors, I'd still recommend checking pressure.
'tis the plan for tonight if my buddy can spare a few minutes of his time at his shop.

EDIT...quick question, my 2000 (built 11-1999) Z28, is it a return or returnless style fuel system?

EDIT 2...Will these injectors work with my car? 24LB Injectors on Ebay

Last edited by mad-hatter; 06-18-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't view ebay on my work computer, but it reads "24LB Injectors". I'm thinking, why downsize from the stock injectors?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I can't view ebay on my work computer, but it reads "24LB Injectors". I'm thinking, why downsize from the stock injectors?
Cheap cost for temporary replacement and testing. Are there any 26lb injectors that anyone could recommend for a good cost? Not looking to spend an arm and a leg on stock size injectors as I will eventually need to upgrade with my H/C/I/E build I plan on doing later this year/start of next year. Something to get me by for a year or so.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I wouldn't worry about buying "temporary" injectors until you've first verified proper operation of the fuel pump, and then tried to clean the current injectors (you could try in-tank cleaners or more extensive bench cleaning.....all better options then dropping the cash for a smaller set of used/unknown injectors that you won't even be keeping for long.)
Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have the stock LS1 injectors that came out of my '00 Vette at 37,200 miles if you're looking for a very cheap fix if yours are shot. They were in perfect working condition when replaced during my H/C/I/E swap. I bagged and boxed them and they've been sitting on the shelf in my climate controlled garage ever since. I keep stuff like this around to help people out who are in a pinch someday.

But I wouldn't worry about injectors just yet until you further inspect/clean the tank and check fuel pressure under WOT to make sure there are no potential problems before the injectors. And try to clean your current injectors before wasting time and money on injectors you may not need.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 06-18-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I have the stock LS1 injectors that came out of my '00 Vette at 37,200 miles if you're looking for a very cheap fix if yours are shot. They were in perfect working condition when replaced during my H/C/I/E swap. I bagged and boxed them and they've been sitting on the shelf in my climate controlled garage ever since. I keep stuff like this around to help people out who are in a pinch someday. But I wouldn't worry about injectors just yet until you further inspect the tank and check fuel pressure under WOT to make sure they are no potential problems before the injectors.
PM me about those injectors.

As for the fuel pressure test, what am I looking for pressure wise and how should this be carried out? I understand the basics of where to hook up the gauge, etc.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Figured it out...will go about testing this tonight if I can borrow my buddies gauge.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Your fuel pressure should be in the 55-60psi ballpark at any given moment, when the ignition on, at idle, partial throttle or WOT. Pressure will drop slightly under load and at WOT, but not much if running properly. Were you able to check it yesterday?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Your fuel pressure should be in the 55-60psi ballpark at any given moment, when the ignition on, at idle, partial throttle or WOT. Pressure will drop slightly under load and at WOT, but not much if running properly. Were you able to check it yesterday?
Nope...buddy was out of the shop and none of the local parts stores have one to use or purchase. He said he'll be there on Saturday, so I'm going to stop by.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

A few years ago, I took my car to the track to log some runs and found that my times were .5 seconds off and the car was going way lean at higher rpms. So I took the car to a dyno shop and had them monitor fuel pressure on a WOT pull. Sure enough, pressure was falling way off as the rpm's climbed, although the car ran perfectly normally in daily driving.

I don't know how important a factor it was, but I wanted the car to be under load while going WOT.

Quick Reply: 5500 RPM, falling on it's face