General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar Question

Hi,

This is probably a dumb question, but when installing a new non-adjustable panhard bar for my 02 z28 do I have to center it or will putting in the new panhard bar be to the exact specs of the factory bar and center the vehicle on its own?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A non-adjustable panhard will only put the car back in the same position the factory bar did. If you are lowering a car and need to change the centering of the axle, you need and adjustable panhard bar
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
A non-adjustable panhard will only put the car back in the same position the factory bar did. If you are lowering a car and need to change the centering of the axle, you need and adjustable panhard bar
Thanks for the response. So you just pop it in and go? Some people recommended getting an alignment done after the bar is installed...is this necessary?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Swens651
Thanks for the response. So you just pop it in and go? Some people recommended getting an alignment done after the bar is installed...is this necessary?
A non-adjustable panhard bar won't need an alignment if that is the only thing you're installing. It also won't provide any benefit though...
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackandgold
A non-adjustable panhard bar won't need an alignment if that is the only thing you're installing. It also won't provide any benefit though...
how will it not provide any benefit? It's much more stiff than the stock bar...
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

how will it not provide any benefit? It's much more stiff than the stock bar...
Right, so are you currently in a situation where your stock bar is flexing too much?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Right, so are you currently in a situation where your stock bar is flexing too much?
I am not sure, but when I took it out it was very rusty and shitty.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The benefit of a tubular non-adjustable panhard bar over the factory one is that it is substantially stronger which minimize the deflection in the bar itself.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The benefit of a tubular non-adjustable panhard bar over the factory one is that it is substantially stronger which minimize the deflection in the bar itself.
What types of situations cause excessive deflection in the factory bar? I'm genuinely curious, I would think the LCAs limit the front to back travel and I'm wondering what I'm missing...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

You guys, thanks for the comments, but I think I screwed up the install. I posted a new question last night but dont seem to be getting a response. Can you please give me a quick answer?

Hi,

So I didn't drive my z28 w/o the panhard bar, but in a sense, because after I installed the new UMI non-adjustable I took it for a test drive and it felt like it swayed/hopped more than w/the stock bar. The stupid thing I did was say screw the torque wrench, so I just tightened it with a socket wrench and took it for a quick 10min test drive to see if I noticed a difference and I did, but in a negative way. So, my question is, now that I didn't have it torqued tight enough while driving am I going to have to get an alignment, because I potentially threw things off?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

What types of situations cause excessive deflection in the factory bar? I'm genuinely curious, I would think the LCAs limit the front to back travel and I'm wondering what I'm missing...
In handling situations you can see some deflection in the factory panhard bar mainly due to the softer rubber bushings in them. Most of the issues with the factory panhard bar come from the rubber bushings but I have also seen people bend them and swear that they never hit anything. You have to remember that panhard bar really controls the side to side movement in the rear end.

Generally I never recommend using a non-adjustable panhard rod as there is limited benefits from them and more times than not people switch to an adjustable down the road anyways to be able to fine tune the rear end location.

You guys, thanks for the comments, but I think I screwed up the install. I posted a new question last night but dont seem to be getting a response. Can you please give me a quick answer?

Hi,

So I didn't drive my z28 w/o the panhard bar, but in a sense, because after I installed the new UMI non-adjustable I took it for a test drive and it felt like it swayed/hopped more than w/the stock bar. The stupid thing I did was say screw the torque wrench, so I just tightened it with a socket wrench and took it for a quick 10min test drive to see if I noticed a difference and I did, but in a negative way. So, my question is, now that I didn't have it torqued tight enough while driving am I going to have to get an alignment, because I potentially threw things off?

Thanks!
A lot of people really get caught up on torque specs, you have to remember that you are just installing a panhard bar and not assembling a motor. As long as the bolts are tightened down and didn't come loose they are fine. The panhard bar has large bolts and can handle a good bit of torque so I generally just tighten them down as tight as I can. Were the bolts loose when you back and checked them after the test drive? There really should be no reason that you need to get an alignment.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

In handling situations you can see some deflection in the factory panhard bar mainly due to the softer rubber bushings in them. Most of the issues with the factory panhard bar come from the rubber bushings but I have also seen people bend them and swear that they never hit anything. You have to remember that panhard bar really controls the side to side movement in the rear end.

Generally I never recommend using a non-adjustable panhard rod as there is limited benefits from them and more times than not people switch to an adjustable down the road anyways to be able to fine tune the rear end location.

A lot of people really get caught up on torque specs, you have to remember that you are just installing a panhard bar and not assembling a motor. As long as the bolts are tightened down and didn't come loose they are fine. The panhard bar has large bolts and can handle a good bit of torque so I generally just tighten them down as tight as I can. Were the bolts loose when you back and checked them after the test drive? There really should be no reason that you need to get an alignment.
Thanks so much for the response. I took it back and tightened them again, so, they weren't as tight as they could have been. I am just about to tighten them up right now with a torque wrench, though.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks so much for the response. I took it back and tightened them again, so, they weren't as tight as they could have been. I am just about to tighten them up right now with a torque wrench, though.
Definitely, after you do that take a couple days to get some seat time and see what you think. The non-adjustable panhard bar is a super simple piece so it is very hard to mess it up. Also it should feel very similar as it did with stock panhard bar, maybe even a little more sure feeling in the rear of the car.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Definitely, after you do that take a couple days to get some seat time and see what you think. The non-adjustable panhard bar is a super simple piece so it is very hard to mess it up. Also it should feel very similar as it did with stock panhard bar, maybe even a little more sure feeling in the rear of the car.
Got it tightened down nice and it feels much better!

Quick Reply: Non-Adjustable Panhard Bar Question