General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First time at the drag strip.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My buddy runs 9.90's along w/ DD'ing his Cobra running Mickeys w/ no problems in any type of weather, figured if the op is interested in Dragging why not get the better tire for it.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're running at Commerce this time of year, don't be disappointed that you're not cracking in the 12's with an almost stock setup -- it's difficult to get good air up there due to the elevation and climate and most would be surprised to understand how much of a factor that is.

If you're going to run dedicated rears for the track, I'd go with the Mickeys.

As for the claims of others driving around on the street with drag radials -- everyone has their opinions, however based on my personal experience, I'll never willingly drive on the street with those in the rain again (came really close to a terrible accident). "Handling well in the rain" is mainly a function of how much water (volume and the speed) the tire tread can displace. Eventually many of those folks on drag radials or bald tires learn the hard way when they find enough standing water on the highway to exceed that limit. Not fun.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
If you're running at Commerce this time of year, don't be disappointed that you're not cracking in the 12's with an almost stock setup -- it's difficult to get good air up there due to the elevation and climate and most would be surprised to understand how much of a factor that is.

As for the claims of others driving around on the street with drag radials -- everyone has their opinions, however based on my personal experience, I'll never willingly drive on the street with those in the rain again (came really close to a terrible accident). "Handling well in the rain" is mainly a function of how much water (volume and the speed) the tire tread can displace. Eventually many of those folks on drag radials or bald tires learn the hard way when they find enough standing water on the highway to exceed that limit. Not fun.
This exactly, driving radials in the rain is foolish and unnecessary
Old 07-22-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

driving my SS with MTs when it rained scared the **** out of me. i could feel the back end of my car kicking out.

when i drove with nittos it was fine for the most part. I DDed them on my GTO for years and had no problem until they wore down.

i still say MTs ARE OVERKILL FOR A CAR WITH STOCKISH POWER AND youre asking to break stuff more easily than necessary.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02

I was running down at silver dollar race way in Reynolds GA. It was super muggy, and had rained 30 minutes before we got there. We're planning on going back when things cool down.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
driving my SS with MTs when it rained scared the **** out of me. i could feel the back end of my car kicking out.

when i drove with nittos it was fine for the most part. I DDed them on my GTO for years and had no problem until they wore down.

i still say MTs ARE OVERKILL FOR A CAR WITH STOCKISH POWER AND youre asking to break stuff more easily than necessary.
I'm thinking I'm going to go with the nitto nt05r's simply because they're cheaper than the Mikey's and I'm only making 300ish horsepower to the tires as it sits. I'm just gonna go with 275/40-17 and keep it simple. Got any wheel suggestions for the nittos? I had no idea it was this hard to find a cheap set of 17x9/ 17x9.5 wheels with a 5x4.75 5 lug pattern
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Do you drive on the highway in the rain? If you could avoid highways on the days it rains since you daily drive your car I would just run the nt05r's on your everyday rim's
Old 07-23-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea,some type of nitto on a stock rim should be fine.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nittos are nice but KDWs and Bridgestone re760 sports are so sticky i kicked rocks for a little over a month when they were brand new
Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ill let you guys know in a few weeks how they work out, running 17/275 MT Dr's w/ a 80mm turbo. Setup should be around 800 rw so well see how they do on the street.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 07-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Do you drive on the highway in the rain? If you could avoid highways on the days it rains since you daily drive your car I would just run the nt05r's on your everyday rim's
I do get caught in the rain occasionally. But mostly only on the two or 4 lane highway's. The paving company made the two lane so smooth it's scary to drive on in the rain with all season tires. It gets so slick you have to slow way down. Two people of crashed in the same spot and one of them hit a building and the other one spun out into the grass. Scary stuff
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
yea,some type of nitto on a stock rim should be fine.
Alrighty. I may go to the local junk yard in a couple weeks. They had a couple 4th gen camaro's and firebirds there that still had some wheels. Plus I wanna get some factory tail lights for my car because I hate the ones that were on it when I bought the car haha
Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Ill let you guys know in a few weeks how they work out, running 17/275 MT Dr's w/ a 80mm turbo. Setup should be around 800 rw so well see how they do on the street.
I'll be interested to see how they perform!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If they are going to be dedicated track tires why not find some stock 16" rims for cheap? Obviously you won't be running a 275/40/17 on a 16x8 wheel, but you could run something with a little more sidewall which would be better for traction anyways.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z-camaro
If they are going to be dedicated track tires why not find some stock 16" rims for cheap? Obviously you won't be running a 275/40/17 on a 16x8 wheel, but you could run something with a little more sidewall which would be better for traction anyways.
Like what? I've been doing lots of googling and reading a lot and have decided on the nt05r's. But haven't really decided on size.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
Like what? I've been doing lots of googling and reading a lot and have decided on the nt05r's. But haven't really decided on size.
Well I don't think that Nitto makes a 16" version of the NT05R, but you could go with M/T's, or similar. See these threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...tire-size.html

Reference for what it would look like:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...rd-wheels.html
Old 07-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Well I don't think that Nitto makes a 16" version of the NT05R, but you could go with M/T's, or similar. See these threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...tire-size.html

Reference for what it would look like:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...rd-wheels.html
Okay! I'll keep doing some more research. I have plenty of time to decide before I got back to the track. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run nitto's daily rain or shine on 2 of my Camaro's , 1 is a 6spd 1 auto and have no traction issues in the rain no complaints from my wife running either car for that matter. I also own MT's & hoosiers they are better at the track but scary in the rain - I would never leave either on for any rain use.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
Okay! I'll keep doing some more research. I have plenty of time to decide before I got back to the track. Thanks for the help guys!
Also, everything I have read suggests that a bias ply tire would be best for a manual car. Better traction, and not as harsh on the driveline.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
I run nitto's daily rain or shine on 2 of my Camaro's , 1 is a 6spd 1 auto and have no traction issues in the rain no complaints from my wife running either car for that matter. I also own MT's & hoosiers they are better at the track but scary in the rain - I would never leave either on for any rain use.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have a set of slicks that I could run in the rain incase something happened to my daily tires.. I'll it figured out sooner or later

Quick Reply: First time at the drag strip.