General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

4th Gen VIN Locations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015 | 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default 4th Gen VIN Locations

I have relocated to a new state that requires vehicle identification at the DMV. My problem is that my drivers side door was replaced at some point in time and the VIN that is on the door does not match the one under the windshield.

Does anyone know where the other VIN locations are on these vehicles?

I don't want the Highway patrol snooping around under the hood or throwing it up on the lift if you know what I mean.
Old 07-21-2015 | 01:48 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

There is a partial VIN on the passenger side windshield pillar. Just peel back the weatherstripping that seals the door window to the pillar and you should see it covered under some tape.
Old 07-21-2015 | 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Do they need multiple VINs to verify/register? I don't know as I've never lived in a state where I had to do this. If not, you could just remove the stickers from the replacement door and then there would be no cause for question or concern about non-matching VINs.
Old 07-21-2015 | 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sometimes a prior savage vehicle can throw a wrench into registering. sometimes they stamp in radiator support or one of rear unibody rails.
Old 07-22-2015 | 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Droptop! I will take a look for that partial VIN on the passenger side A-pillar.

RPM: You are exactly right, they need to verify the vehicles identity so they need to match the VIN in the windshield with a 2nd VIN somewhere else on the vehicle. Typically they simply use the VIN on the driver side door. This is in California so its a PITA.

Larkman: Do you have an idea of where on the rear unibody rail to start looking (how far back? After the axle or before?)
Old 07-22-2015 | 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check between rear end and bumper bar. Usually on foward rearward rail either side. How bout a sticker with build codes. Spare tire carrier cover have sticker some GM cars have those which does have a vin.
Old 07-22-2015 | 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 76larkman
How bout a sticker with build codes. Spare tire carrier cover have sticker some GM cars have those which does have a vin.
That would be the SPID sticker, which is on the door jamb for these cars. The OP has already indicated that this sticker is the problem, since it's a replacement door and the VIN on that sticker doesn't match.

There is no sticker on or in the spare tire panel area on this model.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen VIN Locations