General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New (to me) truck. Starts and dies. VATS question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015 | 01:22 AM
Teching In

Default New (to me) truck. Starts and dies. VATS question

Sorry to be asking for favors right after joining the forum. But I plan on sticking around for a while.

I'll try to be brief. If you need more info I'll provide you with anything.

I bought a 2000 Silverado today real cheap. Problem is that 2 owners before me swapped a 6.0 motor (originally 4.8) and didn't finish the job. The truck turns on for a couple seconds and shuts back down.

Previous owner gave me a Volkswagen key for it that was cut to be used with the truck. So IDK if it originally had a chipped key. He also says that he thinks the problem was the security system.

I've heard/read about VATS. My plan is to get it deleted/flashed by a guy that's local to me and see if that works. I read that I need to ground the BCM to the starter relay as well (if someone can give me more details on that, that would be great).

Do you guys think this is the correct route to take? Or should I instead try the resistor trick with the 15 value combinations, see if it works and if it does just order the right chipped key for it?
Old 09-02-2015 | 05:51 PM
Teching In

Ok whole new problem. The owner said it turned on and shut down but it doesnt do that at all.

When i flip the switch no lights come on in the cluster. Only the voltage gauge vibrates. The headlights go om, windows work, ac comes on and off fine but no lights and no start.

I took out the cluster and knee panel and found stripped wires, splices everywhere and things all over the place. Luckily i have an underdash harness off another silverado i parted out so i think im going to swap it out.

Its coming out to being a complete headache. Im actually thinking about parting it out instead but we'll see.
Old 09-02-2015 | 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check for grounds on engine. one behind steering pump by its brace bolt. two on back of intake area. check fuses in both fuse boxes for burned fuse. there is bunch of wire connectors in the plastic box that holds fuse panel/pcm on driver wheelwell. see if all connected
Old 09-03-2015 | 01:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
check for grounds on engine. one behind steering pump by its brace bolt. two on back of intake area. check fuses in both fuse boxes for burned fuse. there is bunch of wire connectors in the plastic box that holds fuse panel/pcm on driver wheelwell. see if all connected

I'll check those out first thing in the morning. If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to pull out the whole dash and see what mess is in there.

Also in the center console I found an alarm system with a bunch of wires. I'm guessing they tried pulling it out to see if that was causing a problem.

Quick Reply: New (to me) truck. Starts and dies. VATS question