General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How do you insure your fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
I agree with a lot said in here. The only way you're guaranteed to get what your car is worth is Hagerty or Grundy.

I am a Nationwide agent in NC and we have partnered with Hagerty, so I can do both, have one agent, etc etc.

-Hagerty will take stock or modified cars
-no exact mileage limitation although they like to see under 3500 a year
-Must have a DD
-Must be kept in a garage(or carport in certain locations)
-Rates are USUALLY about 1/2 of what you're paying now for full coverage at NADA values.

If you have any questions, just let me know
ALL true about Hagerty. I've been with them for over 10 years with an agreed upon value of $16K for my modified '98 Z28. Easy policy to get too. Just email them several pics, list the mods, and then pay about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a normal policy for full coverage costs. As long as you have more cars than drivers in the household, they'll insure it as a collector car...actually, I think my Z28 is listed as an "Exotic"
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just insured my camaro with Hagerty for 20k myself for 950 a year. Like mentioned. Didn't ask for mileage or was told of any limit. Garage and dd were required but was a concern since my agent set my dd up the same day.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is similar to Grundy, but not exactly the same. Grundy has no mileage restrictions at all, unlimited "hobby" use is allowed (such as events/shows, club cruises, coast-to-coast events, etc.) They also specifically state that limited pleasure use is allowed, no mileage is specified but they likely curb any gross abuse by requiring separate daily transportation for each driver in the household. I take my cars on nice weather weekend pleasure cruises and to local events/cruise nights during the summer - I explained this to Grundy when I first signed up and they said this was perfectly fine. Most people with collector/show worthy cars wouldn't want to subject them to the abuse of daily driving in the first place (in an effort to keep the cars at a certain level, I end up restricting myself more than any insurance company ever would.) They also require the car to be stored in a garage when not in use, and for drivers to be over age 25 and have a good record. Rates are higher for vehicles less than 25 years old (I pay more for my Camaro than I do for my Nova, even though the Nova is covered for many thousands more.) These are agreed value policies so your premium will depend greatly on how much value you assign.

A friend of mine from one of my local events has filed two claims with Grundy in the last few years, both were paid in full and never with any hassle at all. There have been some other Grundy users from this site over the years who have also reported zero hassles when filing claims.
This is all accurate info. I recently got on with grundy for an agreed value policy. They wanted all 3 vehicles switched to them instead of just my camaro so thats what I did. I have better coverage and I'm saving 100 bucks a month for the 3. Op, what you want is agreed value insurance, whether through grundy or another insurance company. The only question you need to ask the agent is if they have that type of policy, most probably won't if I could guess. And yes it will probably cost more.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of good information here -- Thanks everyone for all the advice! I didn't know about Grundy or Hagerty, so that helps out a lot.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Just insured my camaro with Hagerty for 20k myself for 950 a year. Like mentioned. Didn't ask for mileage or was told of any limit. Garage and dd were required but was a concern since my agent set my dd up the same day.

"20k myself for 950 a year"

I was reading this thread and enjoying the comments about how much cheaper it was to go this route because I have been thinking about doing this for my 70Z with all the upgrades I am in the middle of, and then saw your post.

You're paying $950/year for a 20K declared value Camaro?

That is more than I pay for my '15 2500 HD Silverado ($54K value)...

What's up with that?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i might drive 7-8k a year combined. but i have no garage.

ive carried min. covg. on my SS for over 10 years with no problems so i see that as being ahead already.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcountry
"20k myself for 950 a year"

I was reading this thread and enjoying the comments about how much cheaper it was to go this route because I have been thinking about doing this for my 70Z with all the upgrades I am in the middle of, and then saw your post.

You're paying $950/year for a 20K declared value Camaro?

That is more than I pay for my '15 2500 HD Silverado ($54K value)...

What's up with that?
$950/year does seem extremely high for collector coverage with only $20k of agreed value. Location, driving record/age (though I think most or all of the collector polices require an excellent record and drivers 25 years or older), and any other options added to the policy can all effect price.

Just to provide a different specific example, here are the details of my Grundy policy per vehicle:

1998 Camaro, Agreed Value: $25,000; Annual premium: $354
1971 Nova, Agreed Value: $33,000; Annual premium: $215

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the rates for cars 25 years and older are lower, that is why the Camaro costs more even though it's covered for less. Also, these were not my original agreed values; Grundy has an optional "inflation guard" provision that raises your agreed values by 2% (used to be 4% but just changed this year) annually, rounded to the nearest $500. So over the years my coverage has crept up (though you can shut off this inflation option any time) but the rates have only increased marginally.

My policy just renewed on 9/16/15 so this information is recent.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arizona, and a few other states, allow emissions exemption with a collector policy.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in ny and 26... not sure if that makes a difference, record is solid though

comparatively to what I was paying for my 13' optima and the camaro prior to this through first GIECO and then nationwide/hagerty both are significantly less since the new policy I just got this past month
Old 09-23-2015, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
I'm in ny and 26... not sure if that makes a difference, record is solid though

comparatively to what I was paying for my 13' optima and the camaro prior to this through first GIECO and then nationwide/hagerty both are significantly less since the new policy I just got this past month
Must be a NY thing then. Right now I have my Camaro with an agreed upon value of 15K (I will be upping that to ~50K soon) with State Farm, I pay less than half of what you are for your Camaro.

Move south young man - you will be much happier!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

It;s coming lowcountry. property taxes from 12-18k, one of the highest income taxes in the nation I can't wait to get away. Waiting for a few more things to fall into place
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cant remember off hand but from statefarm full coverage to grundy agreed value my policy price was cut in half and all my coverages are way ******* higher. I'm super happy.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone who uses Grundy know if they take mileage into account or have some sort of hard of soft limits? In my quote it doesn't say anything regarding actual limitations and I'm hoping that's true because while I don't use this car as a daily or for errands, I do take it to many far away places like shows or races etc. and that will definitely rack up the miles.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redtan
Does anyone who uses Grundy know if they take mileage into account or have some sort of hard of soft limits? In my quote it doesn't say anything regarding actual limitations and I'm hoping that's true because while I don't use this car as a daily or for errands, I do take it to many far away places like shows or races etc. and that will definitely rack up the miles.
It doesnt seem to be an issue. The policy is they want you to have a daily. They know people who pride their cars wont subject them to daily wear and tear. I damn sure wouldnt.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

As mentioned above, there is no mileage limitation for "hobby use" - and this is stated in the policy (including long distance events such as you have described.) Also stated in the policy is that "limited" pleasure use is allowed (Sunday drive type deals, etc.) but just that it can't be used for primary transportation, errands, back-up transportation or daily commuting.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 261 Likes on 171 Posts

No mileage limitations for hobby use. They told me I can take mine out for a date with the lady, or even to work once a week. It just can't be my daily driver or grocery-getter. Which I'm fine with.

I also remember Haggerty being damn-near triple what Grundy quoted me for the same coverage.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It just can't be my daily driver or grocery-getter. Which I'm fine with.
I wonder how exactly they can determine that the car is a daily driver and/or grocery getting if not for the mileage?

I can't imagine they are tracking you by GPS to see that you travel back and forth to the same location around the same time (am then pm) 5 days a week?

Not that I'm trying to beat the system, just always wonder how those limitations work especially when they give you free reign on mileage (for the most part).
Old 09-29-2015, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Not that I'm trying to beat the system, just always wonder how those limitations work especially when they give you free reign on mileage (for the most part).
I asked them this same question, their answer was two-part. First, they basically stated the same as this:

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
They know people who pride their cars wont subject them to daily wear and tear. I damn sure wouldnt.
If you meet all the criteria (such as having newer cars for each driver in the household, having a garage for the car, and if the pictures you provide show the car to be in excellent condition), then it's unlikely that said car would ever be your daily driver. I'm sure there is some amount of abuse, but I think that's more the exception than the rule - and that's probably what they're counting on.

They also stated that if you have frequent/repeated claims in short periods of time they will investigate more thoroughly. Having said that, my friend that I mentioned above had two legitimate claims within a 2-3 year period and they didn't make him jump through any hoops at all. I imagine they have a pretty good feel for what is or isn't legitimate/abuse based on their industry experience.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I have my bird insured with Hagerty with a agreed price of 11,000 I pay $300 yearly, my car is a 1995
Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Hey everyone. I currently insure my 2000 trans am with Allstate and I would really like to switch to Grundy. I meet all the criteria except for keeping the car in a garage all the time. The car is kept covered in the corner of the drive way. I use a 2014 civic for travel to work. My question is, does anyone have Grundy and not keep the car in a garage? I can take a picture of the car in a garage but do you guys think it would be an issue if the car is not in a garage? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quick Reply: How do you insure your fbody?